Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Other riders who prefer to travel solo?

I've found this all rather interesting, that there are others similar to myself in this regard. I ride alone for many of the same reasons. I've found that I tend to ride better and more confidently when alone and not worrying or trying to keep up with a group. In the past when given the goahead to set the pace I didnt like the feeling of someone at my back all the time, even though there were no complaints, I felt pressured and uncomfortable. I tend not to make deep connections with others as such I have no close friends with whom long trips would even be a posibility, this is not to say I dont like others, just the opposite, I'm always excited for the roadside interactions with people or the campfire get together's at rallys or elsewhere on the road. It just seems when out "riding the wire" I work better alone.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    I've found this all rather interesting, that there are others similar to myself in this regard. I ride alone for many of the same reasons. I've found that I tend to ride better and more confidently when alone and not worrying or trying to keep up with a group. In the past when given the goahead to set the pace I didnt like the feeling of someone at my back all the time, even though there were no complaints, I felt pressured and uncomfortable. I tend not to make deep connections with others as such I have no close friends with whom long trips would even be a posibility, this is not to say I dont like others, just the opposite, I'm always excited for the roadside interactions with people or the campfire get together's at rallys or elsewhere on the road. It just seems when out "riding the wire" I work better alone.
    Really well said, and I have to say that I am similar in many regards.

I just returned from a 22 state solo trip. Not once did I wish I had another rider along. I did however enjoy some great interactions with folks at gas stops, waitresses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkruger View Post
    Really well said, and I have to say that I am similar in many regards.

I just returned from a 22 state solo trip. Not once did I wish I had another rider along. I did however enjoy some great interactions with folks at gas stops, waitresses, etc.
    This little story may be a hijack of our topic but as others have pointed out I believe a solo rider emboldens a more personal interaction. On my way to St. Paul as I sat in an Indiana Denny's eating my breakfast waiting out a rain storm, I was approached by an elderly gentleman, retired, just past 70 years old. He asked what riding my BMW was like. He related a story of courting his wife 40 years before, on a triumph, packing a picnic lunch and riding through the corn fields on Iowa with her arms wrapped tightly around him. You could see the reflection in his eyes. We who ride know that feeling. He told me he was looking to buy a bike now but was not sure just what he should get, we chatted about various models, positives and negatives. His wife waiting patiently as we talked. That talk was priceless. It's moments like that I realize that I may travel alone, but I'm not alone. I'm not sure that conversation with a group present would have been as intimate or personal as it was.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    This little story may be a hijack of our topic but as others have pointed out I believe a solo rider emboldens a more personal interaction. On my way to St. Paul as I sat in an Indiana Denny's eating my breakfast waiting out a rain storm, I was approached by an elderly gentleman, retired, just past 70 years old. He asked what riding my BMW was like. He related a story of courting his wife 40 years before, on a triumph, packing a picnic lunch and riding through the corn fields on Iowa with her arms wrapped tightly around him. You could see the reflection in his eyes. We who ride know that feeling. He told me he was looking to buy a bike now but was not sure just what he should get, we chatted about various models, positives and negatives. His wife waiting patiently as we talked. That talk was priceless. It's moments like that I realize that I may travel alone, but I'm not alone. I'm not sure that conversation with a group present would have been as intimate or personal as it was.
    Extremely well said, and a wonderful story!

I firmly believe you are right. A solo rider will be engaged by more people.

Some folks don't understand that alone doesn't equate to lonely.

That was a beautiful story. He might not even approached you if you were with others, or related that moment.

I also ride solo most of the time for all the reasons recently stated so well.
    2012 R1200RT
    2012 Super Tenere
    2001 R1100RT (sold)

Solo

It probably depends on each individuals degree of patience. In my younger years I rode with my wife . Even though she loved traveling on the bike as pillion, she constantly complained about the speed I was riding or when we were going to have a rest stop or she gotta pee. At the end of the day she would always say, "what a wonderful day we had today."

I usually had to stoop to threats to get her to stop complaining. One time in Europe, I was trying to keep up with some European riders on Stelvio Pass and she is punching me in the kidneys, saying 'slow down, slow down." Well I slowed and then stopped and told her to shut the ---- up or I would leave her on the --- ---- road. That always worked for a few miles.

Another time I got lost around Philly Pa. I was originally on the N.J. turnpike heading for N.Y. Anyway, she would not stop -----ing and I couldn't find a exit ramp to turn around. Around dark, I did find one and exited and found a nice old gentleman who pointed me in the right direction. But, that didn't stop the -----ing. I finally stopped on a train overpass and threatened to throw her off the ----ing bridge if she didn't shut up. That worked and we finally made it all the way to Boston where she told our friends we had a wonderful trip.

Sometime after that I started riding solo and it was great. I could stop when I wanted to, eat when I wanted and did just that for the next twenty years. The last time she rode with me was in 1998 and by this time we were both single. I had ridden to Missoula from Texas solo and was going to come back to Texas via California after visiting some friends there. It was a wonderful trip until I left California. My ex-pillion rider decided to fly out and ride back with me; I thought maybe things have changed and it will be OK. It was hell all the way back to Texas but this time I just said, "ok honey, yes honey, sure honey" and let it go. After we got back she said, " I can't wait to ride with you again, we had such a wonderful time."

It didn't happen; over the years I might have learned a little patience but I ain't stupid; I ride solo.

D.W. 22600
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Second wife

My first wife did not ride and was not at all happy when I bought our son a Suzuki R50 for xmas when he was 4 y/o. He and I rode our bikes every day. My neighbor was Lee Jacques, who owned the Yamaha/Suzuki dealership. He had a son and daughter who both raced professionally. My son grew up riding a lot of dirt. I took off every Summer on my R69S and toured the US solo. I enjoyed being away from everyone and everything.

I had a friend who rode like I do..fast and safely. It is hard to find someone like that; so I mostly ride alone since he moved.

My second wife is the best. She loves traveling on the bike and is ready for any trip. Unfortunately, she is still working. [Yes, I am 20 years older...shoot me for liking young beautiful women.]

I am leaving Sept. 10 for an 8 day trek. Hopefully she will not starve while I am gone.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

central wisconsin along the wisconsin river
    I ride solo mainly cause I don't know the rider skills of those who I might ride with and I like to stop when I feel the need to stop. I also ride much slower than I used to ride compared to when I was younger. Then I'm playing catch-up with people which now I have no use for riding like that. In other words I like to ride my own ride ,go where I may, stop where I may, and extra people prevent me from doing that. Years ago going on MDA runs with the Harley folks I had many near misses getting hit with drive chains flying next to my head as I am following them or inattentive drivers and I just won't deal with that anymore so solo is my way now with my old airhead and one or two camp out rides with a select few old friends and that's it! My riding fast days are over.
    81 R100RT