Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Other riders who prefer to travel solo?

I'm a commuter, so when I go on trips - I'm more comfortable alone. I can do what I want, when I want.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDabbs View Post
    I'm a commuter, so when I go on trips - I'm more comfortable alone. I can do what I want, when I want.
    At its most simple form, that probably sums it up for a bunch of us.

Most of my riding is solo, all of my longest days, but once in a while you find another rider who likes to travel as you do: same speeds; same distances; same type of roads; similar off bike activities. Then it's a joy to have someone to travel with and visit with at the end of the day. I learned early though to pick your traveling companions carefully. A good friend doesn't necessarily make a good riding companion.
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '85 K100RS, '00 R1100RS

Quote Originally Posted by michaellmcc View Post
    Jeff,

We travel in much the same way. Like you, when I see another GS-er on the road and wave, I suspect he's similarly motivated.

Here's a short film about my first big solo trip when I was living in Europe. It set the scene for all the travel since: https://vimeo.com/76221629
    I loved the video. I like to travel the same way but I have a terrible eye for pictures.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT, S1000RR sold, F650 sold
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker 250 (Chiang Mai Thailand)

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Just me and my RT!

'02 R1150RT

I ride with 3 other guys and it is more of a get together than a bike trip. They don't like to get going until 9 am, stop all the time, don't do dirt roads, and worry how much hotels cost so we end up fighting bugs.
    Solo is my preferred method and I really enjoy exploring.
    I plan on a trip to Alaska next year solo and they started talking about going with me, told then noway!
    I need to get out and unwind, think, and live.

I only have one set of pegs and one seat on my R1200S.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by kbeck44889 View Post
    I ride with 3 other guys and it is more of a get together than a bike trip. They don't like to get going until 9 am, stop all the time, don't do dirt roads, and worry how much hotels cost so we end up fighting bugs.
    Solo is my preferred method and I really enjoy exploring.
    I plan on a trip to Alaska next year solo and they started talking about going with me, told then noway!
    I need to get out and unwind, think, and live.
    Good on you for going it solo! I grew up in Alaska, and have made several trips to/from. On the last trip up I ended up leaving two traveling companions in Whitehorse. Their negativity and lack of preparation was just too much for me to endure, and I didn't want to ruin their trip any more than I wanted to allow them to ruin mine.

It is entirely beyond me how anyone can be unhappy when they are on a bike trip. While they are riding and enjoying the trip there are people all over the world punching time clocks for jobs they really can't stand. I have one really good friend that I have enjoyed some trips with, including a Bun Burner Gold. He is the kind of guy that would have to have broken bone sticking through his skin before he would even consider whining. This coming Friday I am getting away on my bike for a few weeks of traveling solo, I am almost giddy with excitement.

If you would like any help with Alaska route planning, or would like to know about some out of the way cool places that you won't find in any of the books or guides, shoot me a message. I lived up there for over 30 years.

Seems I ride solo for most of the reasons posted above: no local riders interested, like riding alone, enjoy the people I meet. Also I have a prostate problem and have to pee so frequently it would drive a companion mad!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesevans View Post
    Seems I ride solo for most of the reasons posted above: no local riders interested, like riding alone, enjoy the people I meet. Also I have a prostate problem and have to pee so frequently it would drive a companion mad!
    Jim, try eating a tablespoon of whole cranberry's each day. It sure has helped me!

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein