Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Great River Road must see/eat suggestions?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    110

    Great River Road must see/eat suggestions?

    On August 1st I am going to ride from my home in eastern Washington to Venice Louisiana to follow the Great River Road north to Lake Itasca. I like small towns and will largely be staying close to the river. I will be along the river in Missouri, Kentucky, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

    I am a foodie. Any suggestions for regional cuisine or particular eating places would be really appreciated. Any must see sights or things to do would be great too.

  2. #2
    Quiet One
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville,IL
    Posts
    45
    Not sure of all the places ,but Alton Brown did this on tv Feasting on asphalt. You might look that up.
    Andy
    2013 R1200GSW
    BMWMOA # 155500
    1st John 4: 7,8

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ft Atkinson Wisc
    Posts
    92
    It's not a food place, but google House on the Rock. Go to the Images section. Keep clicking through the pictures, alot are repeats. The muesume is in different sections and you don't have to stay at the resort. It is eccentric, Believe it or not, P.T. Barnum, Colossal, Steam Punk and The secret Life of machines placed in one destination. Just watching the mechanical bands was amassing to me. Plan on a long afternoon to take it in, then you will wish there was more time left.
    Frank

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by andy57 View Post
    Not sure of all the places ,but Alton Brown did this on tv Feasting on asphalt. You might look that up.
    Thanks. I actually own the Feasting on Asphalt GRR series on DVD as well as the book. That was one of my inspirations for wanting to do this trip. A few years ago my wife and I enjoyed a ride where we hit a bunch of places featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    It's not a food place, but google House on the Rock. Go to the Images section. Keep clicking through the pictures, alot are repeats. The muesume is in different sections and you don't have to stay at the resort. It is eccentric, Believe it or not, P.T. Barnum, Colossal, Steam Punk and The secret Life of machines placed in one destination. Just watching the mechanical bands was amassing to me. Plan on a long afternoon to take it in, then you will wish there was more time left.
    Frank
    Thanks Frank! Thatnsounds really cool.

  6. #6
    Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    State of Hockey
    Posts
    322
    The Great River Road to Itasca is a great ride!
    Our state fish is the Walleye and just about any restaurant will have it on the menu, and get the wild rice side..........

    Benson's in Walker for a great burger.
    The 502 in Walker is a must for a walleye dinner and a awesome view of Leech Lake.
    Ya sure, you betcha!

    '02 R1150RT

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Zygmund View Post
    The Great River Road to Itasca is a great ride!
    Our state fish is the Walleye and just about any restaurant will have it on the menu, and get the wild rice side..........

    Benson's in Walker for a great burger.
    The 502 in Walker is a must for a walleye dinner and a awesome view of Leech Lake.
    Ya sure, you betcha!

    Thanks Zygmund! I have been reading a bit about wild rice salads in your area and they sound really good. I will check out the 502 for sure and genuinely appreciate the info.

    I don't like big cities, but am planning on overnighting in the St. Paul area. From what I have read there are some cool old diners and such in that area? What about around Bemidji?

  8. #8
    Registered User sbcowin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saginaw Tx
    Posts
    3

    Rapid City Ill

    Good stop is Brothers .

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    110
    I checked out Brothers website. Looks pretty cool. Thanks for the suggestions!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    112
    Not food but Elmer's is a neat place to visit if it is open when you travel by.
    http://www.elmersautoandtoymuseum.com/home.html

    Pier Four in Alma WI has good food.

    J & J's BBQ in Nelson WI is a good place to eat.
    http://www.jandjbbq.com

    The Creamery in the Nelson has good ice cream cones and a great assortment of cheese, deli meats, etc.

    The pie shop in Stockholm has good pie.

    The Norske Nook has better pie.

    Steve

  11. #11
    Registered User kckrych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Marion, Iowa
    Posts
    16
    It's a little ways off the great river road but the Irish Shanty in Gunder Iowa (Northeast Iowa) has a great burger, homemade three bean salad, and Guinness on tap. The roads are kinda nice up there also.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    110
    Thanks guys! If they have Harps on tap too so I can get a real black and tan I am all over it.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7
    I could come up with a week's worth of bars and restaurants in the Twin Cities.

    Go get a Jucy Lucy, from any number of places. (Jucy Lucy being a cheeseburger with the cheese cooked sealed inside two patties.)
    Matt's Bar or the 5-8 club are supposed to be the 'originators'.
    Lots of people swear by the Nook, or Blue Door.

    Lots of more upscale places too, and I could name beer after beer after beer (and breweries!) but it depends upon your real goal.

    There's a super dive Hot Dog place called "The Wienery" which I know was on Diners, Drive Ins And Dives, which is a cool (dingy) atmosphere. But it woudln't crack my top ten for "what to do in a single night.".

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by nate.miller View Post
    I could come up with a week's worth of bars and restaurants in the Twin Cities.

    Go get a Jucy Lucy, from any number of places. (Jucy Lucy being a cheeseburger with the cheese cooked sealed inside two patties.)
    Matt's Bar or the 5-8 club are supposed to be the 'originators'.
    Lots of people swear by the Nook, or Blue Door.

    Lots of more upscale places too, and I could name beer after beer after beer (and breweries!) but it depends upon your real goal.

    There's a super dive Hot Dog place called "The Wienery" which I know was on Diners, Drive Ins And Dives, which is a cool (dingy) atmosphere. But it woudln't crack my top ten for "what to do in a single night.".

    Thanks!

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee - Land of the Other Guy's
    Posts
    60

    Great River Roadhouse in Desoto Wi.

    Be sure to try the Great River Roadhouse in Desoto Wi. right on Hwy. 35 also known as the Great River Road. It's a fabulous place for lunch & dinner. The pizza's are awesome but trust me on this one try the Catfish Dinner in Garlic Sauce with all the trimmings. It's broiled in this special Lemon Butter Sauce with Garlic and it's sublime. It comes with a Salad, Coleslaw a side of Pasta & Garlic Bread along with your choice of potatoe.I dare you to eat it all and not have to take a nap afterwards. Be sure to check there FB page for there Summer hours.

    I live 175 miles away and I've ridden there for dinner twice already this Summer.

    Ride Safe & CYA in St.Paul,
    P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •