Thread: Site Move TODAY, changes in access

Site Move TODAY, changes in access

Today, by 5pm PST, we are launching the new server and the beginning of new web services for members of the MOA. There will be a mild disruption in access to the site. For most users, this disruption will last no longer than a day. For some, it may take up to three days for you to regain access to the site. How long this takes will depend on how quickly the records that point to the new server are distributed across the internet. The switch, on our end at least, will be quick, but the larger internet will take a bit to catch up.

To better streamline the use of the BMW MOA site and the BMW MOA secure services, you will now use the same login and password for both. Because of this, you will have to update your login information. Please have your login information for the BMW MOA site and the BMW MOA secure services ready when you return. The former is the username and password you use for the forum. This username and a new password will be used for both portions of the BMW MOA web services.

In short, if you have registered for the forum, you'll be ready to go. If you haven't, you'll need to fill out the registration forms for the forum.

When you return, you'll see a whole new look and have a significantly faster MOA Forum experience. We'll also have the framework up to start laying in new content and member services. This is the first step in what should be a wonderful journey.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    Today, by 5pm PST, we are launching the new server and the beginning of new web services for members of the MOA. There will be a mild disruption in access to the site. For most users, this disruption will last no longer than a day. For some, it may take up to three days for you to regain access to the site. How long this takes will depend on how quickly the records that point to the new server are distributed across the internet. The switch, on our end at least, will be quick, but the larger internet will take a bit to catch up.

To better streamline the use of the BMW MOA site and the BMW MOA secure services, you will now use the same login and password for both. Because of this, you will have to update your login information. Please have your login information for the BMW MOA site and the BMW MOA secure services ready when you return. The former is the username and password you use for the forum. This username and a new password will be used for both portions of the BMW MOA web services.

In short, if you have registered for the forum, you'll be ready to go. If you haven't, you'll need to fill out the registration forms for the forum.

When you return, you'll see a whole new look and have a significantly faster MOA Forum experience. We'll also have the framework up to start laying in new content and member services. This is the first step in what should be a wonderful journey.
    Dave,

Is there a static IP you can tell us until DNS propagates or is it more than just DNS??

can't you just pre-download a copy of the entire interweb and then cache it for us so nothing goes wrong?

who is plugging in the cables to the new server? has the BoD used a fully open process to make sure that 100% of the membership has the ability to fully micromanage this changeover?!

oops, sorry, wrong thread!

seriously, great work guys, this has been a long time coming! woo hoo! i'm glad knary has sobered up long enough to get this done!

I'll see what knary says about the static IP.

As it stands now, files are still being copied over to the new server.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

sheee-it, i forgot my password. have had my computer on auto matic pilot for months. i just click right to the forum.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

The site move may not happen until tomorrow AM. As is usually the case, we've found a few last minute items that need to be addressed. As for the IP, most users will see the new site within a few hours of the changeover.

If you can't wait a few hours, then maybe you need to take a break from the forum.

Cliffy,
    There will be more than a few users in your shoes. You may be able to get by without remembering your forum password, but you will need to be able to login into the secure services to update your password. If you've never done so, there are instructions on how to login for the first time.
    scott conary - BMW... err...umm... bikes are dangerous
    portland, oregon
    www.scottconary.com | new paintings

Quote Originally Posted by knary
    If you can't wait a few hours, then maybe you need to take a break from the forum.
    Clearly, you don't understand the psychology of us hard core net junkies.
    --Joe Merlino - Modified '82 R100RT

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Knary and I broke it during testing this afternoon.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride