Thread: MOA Facebook page

MOA Facebook page

Hi folks.

Some time ago, I "liked" the MOA page on F B and over time have occasionally posted stuff there.
    Yesterday I posted some pix saying we'd ridden our Airheads up to the Adirondaks. After I'd done that, my post showed up on my home F B page. But when I looked just now, the pix are gone both from my own home page AND from the MOA page!

This baffles me somewhat- everything that was posted prior to, and after my post is still there. What the heck? I did post a comment to the four admins there, two out of four cam back almost immediately to say they didn't touch it.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I post or see posts on Facebook that I can never find again. It sometimes pops up again for not explainable reason.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Maybe FB is running one of their mood altering "experiments" again?
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    Hi folks.

Some time ago, I "liked" the MOA page on F B and over time have occasionally posted stuff there.
    Yesterday I posted some pix saying we'd ridden our Airheads up to the Adirondaks. After I'd done that, my post showed up on my home F B page. But when I looked just now, the pix are gone both from my own home page AND from the MOA page!

This baffles me somewhat- everything that was posted prior to, and after my post is still there. What the heck? I did post a comment to the four admins there, two out of four cam back almost immediately to say they didn't touch it.
    You can "search" the facebook page. There is a little magnifying glass icon on the upper right.
    Click on it and type your last name.
    Anything you've ever posted will show up in that search.
    Fair warning. It's the wild wild west over there. They allow non-moaists in so the trolls are thick.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I post or see posts on Facebook that I can never find again. It sometimes pops up again for not explainable reason.
    Think of it as one long thread that runs vertical. If someone likes a comment/post you are involved in it comes up to the top of YOUR feed when you visit the page. In a few days it usually gets buried in the ethereal. This is why you can search for it. It's also a reason folks will use a brightly colored avatar to help them find their comment(s) in a thread.

BUT... The moderators pull comments too so all bets are off.

Left Facebook

Facebook MOA page caused me to return to the forums and leave Facebook all together. Facebook is like Crack. Had to stop the addiction. There were other issues too, mostly it's just to easy for people to be passive aggressive on Facebook. Got enough drama in my life don't need to go looking for it.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Can't Grow It?? Mow it!! bullit7801's Avatar
    Lincoln, NE; Flat, Boring & Windy Great Plains
    So...

Why isn't this thread in the Clubhouse?

tb
    Tom "Bullit" Buttars
    Ambassador
    1978 R100RS, 2006 F650GS, 2007 F800S

Tom -

I don't really do FB, but it is my impression that you don't have to be an MOA member to be on FB. Is that a wrong assumption? If not, then it should stay here.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Can't Grow It?? Mow it!! bullit7801's Avatar
    Lincoln, NE; Flat, Boring & Windy Great Plains
    True. One doesn't need to be an MOA MEMBER to be in the MOA group on Facebook. Yeah, I guess I agree with you. A guest here could be in the group on Facebook.

Thanks,

tb

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    Tom "Bullit" Buttars
    Ambassador
    1978 R100RS, 2006 F650GS, 2007 F800S

Quote Originally Posted by bullit7801 View Post
    ...One doesn't need to be an MOA MEMBER to be in the MOA group on Facebook. Yeah, I guess I agree with you. A guest here could be in the group on Facebook.
    I'd always thought a "guest" here on the forums can read but not participate. Over there they can which makes it's a whole 'nother animal...
    I had to quit the group also. Too much BS and lousy moderation...
    Every other thread is some stupid anti-HD post or ATGATT rant. You can block people so you don't need to deal with them... But it seems they don't like that and they even started a thread stating I was doing that. One MOA member even published my personal info up there and "invited" people to "contact" me. The moderators left it up. That is my beef w/ the "Official Facebook Moderation Team". That's what they call themselves over there... Oh those Middle Management types... Team Builders. Too funny. Do I need to fall back and trust them to catch me too?
    Anyway...
    Since some members here mask themselves w/ avatars and forum names you really don't know who is who over there.
    It's about 2/3 to 1/3 member/non-member. So I left.
    On a good day it's laughable... Any other just plain sad.
    I'll stay here and post photos...

The SNAKE 421. Bristol, Southwest Virginia
    I got a trip to Band Camp from that page! The mods have no sense of humor.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    04 R1150RT
    09 R1200GS
    Homemade trailer for behind Both.

Yeah, fb (in general) is totally to be taken with however many grains of salt. The Fb "MOA" page is no exception. I occasionally post BMW related things there, but don't "hang out". No emotional (or other) "investment". In terms of "investment" I'm far more invested here than there for sure. I check in on various forums, and on fb via my mobile phone a lot- because I travel around for work, and work weird, sometimes round-the-clock hours (entertainment industry). It's easier on some sites than others- not having downloaded tap-a-talk, which seems to facilitate across the board forum participation. I usually post or lurk here from my home, when I can access my PC or if I'm staying somewhere with wifi, on my iPad.

I've had a "chat" with at least two of the admins at the fb "MOA" page- they seem like nice enough people. Probably busy living their lives, and don't really "moderate" that page- at least not in the sense that forum moderators police these forums. So ya takes what ya gets, it is what it is. Here, we have members whom we know from regular posting- and I get the sense that many of those who post here actually know each other personally. There, it's whoever, whenever. The three Admins seem to be friends- beyond that, it's open season. As I said- taken with however many grains of salt... maybe even entire shakers full on occasion!

Cheers, guys!
    Tom
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World