Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol, Do you Avoid Using Gas Containing Ethanol?

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
    Well, this won't help most people reading the forum but this one is 4 km from my driveway and there stuff does not have ethanol;

Canadian Tire Gas Bar

Address: 255 Garrison Rd, Fort Erie, ON L2A 1M9
    Test it. AGAT, FLuid Life, Wear Check or even SWRI. I don't know how to respond to the difference between "not required to report above 5%" and "doesn't contain".

I don't mean to be adversarial. Truly.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Given a choice I'll buy non-ethanol, but we travel a fair amount and generally buy what is at hand when we need fuel
    +1! Non-ethanol gas is hard to find!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Because if you tune your high performance street-strip car to run on it it's cheaper than race gas and has an octane rating in the neighborhood of 116. I know a few 2,000 hp street legal cars that run on e85. FYI a 2,000 hp car will accelerate from zero to 200 mph in less than 7 seconds.
    I was implying: "why anyone would use E85 for a typical transportation purpose"?- Not an effort to talk drag cars,etc..
    Maybe we could discuss the use & effects of non-GMO corn vs. GMO corn, for ethanol production?
    On topic:See #92!!! The OP's question is a very limited subject for many/most of us as there is nothing else to buy.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I do agree with you that for normal every day use E85 has almost no practical usefulness. The irony I was trying to point out is that E85 was conceived by the tree huggers and whole heartedly embraced by the rubber burners.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    I do agree with you that for normal every day use E85 has almost no practical usefulness. The irony I was trying to point out is that E85 was conceived by the tree huggers and whole heartedly embraced by the rubber burners.
    If the E85 is being sold for a price which is 74.2% of regular unleaded (assuming E10), then you are paying the same $/BTU's. If the price of the E85 is more than that, it doesn't make sense to buy it.
    Last edited by 36654; 07-07-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Unless you need the octane. Then if you are tuned for it you can get "race gas" at thousands of fuel stations instead of going to the speed shop or dragstrip.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    If the E85 is being sold for a price which is 74.2% of regular unleaded (assuming E10), then you are paying the same $/BTU's. If the price of the E85 is more than that, it doesn't make sense the buy it.
    Around here, the corn fuel stuff costs MORE than pure gas...
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    Around here, the corn fuel stuff costs MORE than pure gas...
    When I lived in Iowa it was about 30 cents a gallon cheaper, which was less than 10%.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    When I lived in Iowa it was about 30 cents a gallon cheaper, which was less than 10%.
    Notice that when we visit family in Fort Dodge and Eagle Grove...
    Bill Johnston

Notice that when we visit family in Fort Dodge and Eagle Grove...
    I lived in Waukee for 9 years before moving to Arizona 2 years ago.
    My Motorrad

I live in Clive, IA...western suburb of DSM. Right now 10% ethanol costs 27 cents less/gallon than the 89 octane (supposedly pure) alternative. I'd prefer the unadulterated version but my bike seems to run just fine on either. Although the fuel economy does suffer with the corn mix.
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

Quote Originally Posted by REBGEN View Post
    I live in Clive, IA...western suburb of DSM. Right now 10% ethanol costs 27 cents less/gallon than the 89 octane (supposedly pure) alternative. I'd prefer the unadulterated version but my bike seems to run just fine on either. Although the fuel economy does suffer with the corn mix.
    It used to be a nickel less

Sent from my iPhone, inspected and certified by the NSA
    My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by REBGEN View Post
    The "problem" here is that you have NO idea whether or not you are buying corn laced fuel. Not a requirement of the Evergreen State to have separate dispensers, just a label that says may contain up to 10% ethanol. No way to tell until you get a tank full and notice the reduction in mpg. Only one station in our particular region that sells only pure gas. The pure gas nets me about 10% or so better mileage, so I just watch the prices and pay a bit more for "premium" regular grade go juice when the pric differential warrants. Interesting to me that when we're in Iowa that the options are clear, in the Puget Sound it's a bit of a crapshoot. Since my R11S sits more that it goes, I only put pure gas in it...

Cheers!

PS. Is Clive anywhere near Johnston? (my family name)
    Bill Johnston

The "problem" here is that you have NO idea whether or not you are buying corn laced fuel. Not a requirement of the Evergreen State to have separate dispensers, just a label that says may contain up to 10% ethanol. No way to tell until you get a tank full and notice the reduction in mpg. Only one station in our particular region that sells only pure gas. The pure gas nets me about 10% or so better mileage, so I just watch the prices and pay a bit more for "premium" regular grade go juice when the pric differential warrants. Interesting to me that when we're in Iowa that the options are clear, in the Puget Sound it's a bit of a crapshoot. Since my R11S sits more that it goes, I only put pure gas in it...

Cheers!

PS. Is Clive anywhere near Johnston? (my family name)
    It's not far. Waukee is on the west side of Clive, then there is Urbandale and Johnston the east and northeast. I used to work in Johnston and it was a 14 mile ride.
    My Motorrad

I need to correct a statement I made about gasoline in Canada.

I had a wonderful chat with a fellow that does the same stuff as me and we both had a good giggle that our government's short sightedness and that the pony-tail granola munchers think they are winning while we are making a lot of money and putting a lot of young men to work. Sad to flip the other coin and say I have customers losing very expensive engines and productivity.

He has done some testing, as I have and the First Nations Aboriginal Peoples that own gas bars, don't have to follow the rules. First Nations with a valid Treaty Card do not pay the requisite taxes as well. Therefore, they can source fuel at their discretion and can even buy back our Canadian fuel from the USA with no duties or taxes. Just transport costs. They can sell 100% gasoline with no Ethanol, and they do in some places.

My single handed statement that you can't buy fuel in Canada with at least 2% renewable resource content is wrong. You can buy 100% dino-fuel on First Nations reserves if you look for it.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."