Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: SOCKS... really

Marine By Choice #188306

Bilt socks

I found 3 pair of Bilt over the calf socks I had misplaced. Wore them on 2 rides this week. Very comfortable. Not as tight on the calf as others, but very comfy.
    "Dad, can I get a motorcycle when I grow up?"
    "Son, you can't do both."

I've been using this manufacturer http://www.drymaxsocks.com/ with different types for different seasons.
    Right now using the vented tennis for the summer.
    13' K1600GTL

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Merino wool, year round, the only thing I've been using for many years. No, they aren't hot in the summer.
    Agree! Merino wool for socks and tee shirts. They keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. They wash and dry quickly. Smartwool is the big name brand, but there a lot of other manufactures also.

Geeze. Guess I'm not with it. I just use white athletic socks from Costco in my boots. Never had a problem. When I'm traveling for a week or more I take old ones and throw 'em out as I sue 'em. Need more? I visit Costco, Walmart, or whatever else is on the way.

I use BMW All Around boots for cooler riding, including winter. Sox are either TechSox or silver treated military type cotton-both durable and stink resistant.

But when it gets hot and humid as for our NC summers I switch to a fabric/GoreTex boot which is cooler (though the GoreTex makes it a bit hotter than it would be otherwise) and the very thinnest socks I can put underneath- as long as they're not cotton. Can be nylon, silk or whatever.
    In high humidity and temp your body can't drive enough heat and moisture through the boot(no gradient) so it needs to be as easy as possible for heat and moisture to escape. That makes any thick sock a big no no- no matter what is claimed for its wicking properties, etc.

Note that correct gear choices are climate/location dependent- you've got to match them to the conditions. For example, summer in AZ is also plenty hot, in fact hotter than where I live- but its also very dry so moisture gradients are always present and it is far easier to remove moisture and cool things in the process (by evap) than in humid NC. This explains a lot of the differences in gear choices between the SW and SE parts of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Merino wool, year round, the only thing I've been using for many years. No, they aren't hot in the summer.
    Ditto on the Merino wool. I use it as my liners for tops and bottoms as well. Soft, no itch, machine washable, not stinky like poly pro, and durable.

I wear thin polypropylene socks from my local outfitter, Mountain Equipment Co-op.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I wear Alpinestar Web Gortex boots & my feet never sweat. I buy my socks at Walmart. I buy 10 pair of Starter Mens Crew socks for about $8. They are cotton & the 10 pair last about a year.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own