Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Other Diabetic Riders?

Question Other Diabetic Riders?

Like many of you, I am a diabetic. I received a list of food vendors for the Rally. It's Deep Fat Central. Does anyone know of healthy alternatives available at the Rally or nearby?

Hampden Park Coop
    928 Raymond
    651-646-6686

Mississippi Market
    622 Selby
    651-310-9499

I used to go to Hampden Park for lunch when I worked in the area - Coop food but a wide variety of very healthy and tasty fare.

University Avenue (1 mile south of fairgrounds) has GOBS of ethnic foods available.

Several grocery stores and general purpose restaurants within 1-2 miles of the fairgrounds in either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    Hampden Park Coop
    928 Raymond
    651-646-6686

Mississippi Market
    622 Selby
    651-310-9499

I used to go to Hampden Park for lunch when I worked in the area - Coop food but a wide variety of very healthy and tasty fare.

University Avenue (1 mile south of fairgrounds) has GOBS of ethnic foods available.

Several grocery stores and general purpose restaurants within 1-2 miles of the fairgrounds in either direction.
    Thanks for the suggestions...unfortunately rallies are never the best place to find "health foods".... a lot of the offerings will be standard "fair foods", but the food vendors do have some unique offerings like Elk Burger, Hickory Smoked BBQ Pork, Northwoods Fries, Walleye Cakes, Smoked Salmon on a stick, Walleye Fries, Salad on a stick, as well as some Irish offerings from O'Gara's..breakfast will be offered, and Salem Lutheran Church will have Thanksgiving in a bowl, as well as a "meatball sundae" (sounds interesting)....there will also be the traditional hamburger, cheesburgers, brats, and fries. :

In a fairgrounds setting, it's difficult to address everyone's dietary restrictions, but there are plenty of restaurants and grocery stores within 3 miles of the grounds. There is a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods within 5 miles. Nelson Cheese & deli (walking distance) has sandwiches, but also excellent salads (take-out only).

Stop at the Visit St Paul/Visit Roseville table in the MOA building for lists of local resources. Also the Hospitality team will be able to help folks, and insure you have an enjoyable trip to St. Paul.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I have a diabetic buddy who rides everywhere (think remote boonies), he carries what he needs for sugar and insulin and does his needle testing from the seat of his bike every morning. PITA to wait for him sometimes. but what the hey...I love him.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by R1100rtp View Post
    ...and Salem Lutheran Church will have Thanksgiving in a bowl, as well as a "meatball sundae" (sounds interesting)....there will also be the traditional hamburger, cheesburgers, brats, and fries. :

So long as the Thanksgiving in a bowl does NOT involve lye soaked cod , we're going to be OK.

So long as the Thanksgiving in a bowl does NOT involve lye soaked cod , we're going to be OK.
    I didn't see lutefisk on anyone's menu.

Thanks, Karol

Thanks for the suggestions...unfortunately rallies are never the best place to find "health foods".... a lot of the offerings will be standard "fair foods", but the food vendors do have some unique offerings like Elk Burger, Hickory Smoked BBQ Pork, Northwoods Fries, Walleye Cakes, Smoked Salmon on a stick, Walleye Fries, Salad on a stick, as well as some Irish offerings from O'Gara's..breakfast will be offered, and Salem Lutheran Church will have Thanksgiving in a bowl, as well as a "meatball sundae" (sounds interesting)....there will also be the traditional hamburger, cheesburgers, brats, and fries. :

In a fairgrounds setting, it's difficult to address everyone's dietary restrictions, but there are plenty of restaurants and grocery stores within 3 miles of the grounds. There is a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods within 5 miles. Nelson Cheese & deli (walking distance) has sandwiches, but also excellent salads (take-out only).

Stop at the Visit St Paul/Visit Roseville table in the MOA building for lists of local resources. Also the Hospitality team will be able to help folks, and insure you have an enjoyable trip to St. Paul.
    Thanks, Karol, for a more complete answer than you gave my original e-mail. We can eat stuff like pork, but the problem is the barbecue sauce, which is loaded with sugar. Salad on a stick would probably work, as long as it isn't doused in dressing. Hamburger buns have way too many carbs. I appreciated the other answers to my query, before we had the inevitable fall off into irrelevance.

Thanks, Arthur

Hampden Park Coop
    928 Raymond
    651-646-6686

Mississippi Market
    622 Selby
    651-310-9499

Thanks, Arthur, for your helpful reply. I tried to get this info out of Karol in a personal e-mail, but s/he pretty well blew me off. I'm glad to see the forum has some clout. I will keep your suggestions and use them. Look me up at the Rally--black/silver 09 K1200LT, Iowa license 8519LZ. I'm staying at my son's downtown.
    Last edited by 181849; 06-13-2014 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Wrong license number

I didn't see lutefisk on anyone's menu.
    What, no Lutefisk On A Stick ???
    Safety Committee
    Frog Bayou Boys
    '91 R100GS "Bumblebee"
    '09 G650GS

Quote Originally Posted by RIK View Post
    What, no Lutefisk On A Stick ???
    Ain't nobody got time for that...

Where are those melon ladies that had the fruit and veg market at Johnson City....when we need them?

They where covered up each day with buyers and not bad to look at either.

Location, location, location and marketing....
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

This place is only a couple miles away and is healthy-ish.

http://www.goodearthmn.com/locations_roseville.php

Insulin storage

Hello, diabetics
    F.Y.I. -
    There will be a refrigerator in First Aid where you can store your insulin.
    You will be able to access it at any time.
    See you in St Paul,
    Steve Makela, First Aid Chair
    Gotta go...They're coming for me

Quote Originally Posted by devmat View Post
    This place is only a couple miles away and is healthy-ish.

http://www.goodearthmn.com/locations_roseville.php
    We've eaten there...good food..and many healthy options...Walking distance from the Radisson and Days Inn.

2 Rally Food Vendors

These folks were doing a brisk business at Back to the Fifties this weekend.

Giggles.jpg

Ogaras.jpg