Thread: 05 RT vs 10 RT

05 RT vs 10 RT

I have a 05 RT with 33k and I am looking at a 2010 RT with 22k. Whats the difference between the 05 and 10 models ? Would it be worth trading up 5 years ? Any good changes in the 2010 model vs the 05 ?

Quote Originally Posted by patiodadio View Post
    I have a 05 RT with 33k and I am looking at a 2010 RT with 22k. Whats the difference between the 05 and 10 models ? Would it be worth trading up 5 years ? Any good changes in the 2010 model vs the 05 ?
    the 10's may have ESA on it so u can adjust suspension electronically on the fly. The 10's are now DOHC vs SOHC, which equates to a slight torque bump. If you do your own valve checks, it'll be a little bit easier as they switched to the shim style, which requires buying replacement shims if out of spec, but with the shim style, less adjustments needed.

the 10's also dont have servo-assist brakes (they were removed from 07 and up i think). I've heard servicing the servo-assist brakes were expensive and also when they fail can be catastrophic.

A slight modification to the windscreen to reduce buffeting, a shroud over the speedo/tach console to reduce glare (tho it really doesnt).

handling is probably the same.
    Crick0234

bikes owned: r1200rt, f800st
    bikes gone: honda shadow vlx, suzuki katana 600

I have ESA on my bike and like it. I don't like the servo (power) brakes and never knew anyone who did, so that would be a plus, not having them. I check the valves myself and never liked the shim over bucket (ST1300 Honda I owned) . What is the valve check interval on the 2010 ?

I have ESA on my bike and like it. I don't like the servo (power) brakes and never knew anyone who did, so that would be a plus, not having them. I check the valves myself and never liked the shim over bucket (ST1300 Honda I owned) . What is the valve check interval on the 2010 ?
    I had a 2004 R1150R with servo brakes and absolutely loved them. Did the services as prescribed and finally sold the bike with 54,000. The only problem I ever had with that bike was the fuel tank quick disconnects, easily repairable.

New fairing styling
    New dashboard
    Headlight adjustment knob on dash
    Camhead engine ... much nicer
    Drain on rear drive
    Steel vs aluminum rear wheel spider mount
    New handlebar controls and switches
    Windshield shape changed
    Brakes changed as noted
    More likely to have more options
    Low chassis version available
    New colors
    Tune-on-fly exhaust system
    Mirrors don't knock off
    By 2012 no fuel strip and reinforced fuel pump
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Had the '05 and logged many happy miles, including a 3,000 mile trip with my ten year old son as passenger. Only thing I didn't really appreciate was the action of the servo brakes - to me tended to be grabby at unexpected times. Switch was prompted by the change to the cam-head design and the improvements in the braking system. Very happy with my 2010, although I did add a DayLong saddle which has proved to be just that. At this point valves have stayed in adjustment for 18000 miles, and all else working as expected (I lie, as the left switch pod just crapped out - turn signals work but won't shut off, 4-ways work fine, cruise control button has become intermittent- and it's a $360 part/wear item). Just did the RA rally with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    New fairing styling
    New dashboard
    Headlight adjustment knob on dash
    Camhead engine ... much nicer
    Drain on rear drive
    Steel vs aluminum rear wheel spider mount
    New handlebar controls and switches
    Windshield shape changed
    Brakes changed as noted
    More likely to have more options
    Low chassis version available
    New colors
    Tune-on-fly exhaust system
    Mirrors don't knock off
    By 2012 no fuel strip and reinforced fuel pump
    Ah, sounds good ! Thanks !!!

Quote Originally Posted by vetsurginc View Post
    Had the '05 and logged many happy miles, including a 3,000 mile trip with my ten year old son as passenger. Only thing I didn't really appreciate was the action of the servo brakes - to me tended to be grabby at unexpected times. Switch was prompted by the change to the cam-head design and the improvements in the braking system. Very happy with my 2010, although I did add a DayLong saddle which has proved to be just that. At this point valves have stayed in adjustment for 18000 miles, and all else working as expected (I lie, as the left switch pod just crapped out - turn signals work but won't shut off, 4-ways work fine, cruise control button has become intermittent- and it's a $360 part/wear item). Just did the RA rally with it.
    Thanks

FWIW, the valve design on the cam head is great. Changing the shims is as easy can be with a valve train that requires shims. At my 12k service all valves where in spec, though I had two at the loose threshold. I decided to adjust all eight valves to bring them closer to the center of the range. Now I have several spare shims of various sizes on hand.

I hope this helps.
    2012 R1200RT - Fluid Grey Metallic

valve check interval is the same, every 6000 - though i'm wondering if it can be every 12K since the wetheads are shim styled too? Here's a link of how the valve checks are done on the camheads:

http://sanjosebmw.smugmug.com/Other/...9614&k=BmBc5cN

Pretty easy. slide feeler gauge in. if out of spec, remove c-clip that holds the rocker arm. the shim should be in the rocker arm. Measure and replace with another shim that brings it into spec. I heard the switch to shims lowers the adjustment intervals down quite a bit. i've read folks riding for 24-35K miles without much need to adjust their valves.
    Crick0234

bikes owned: r1200rt, f800st
    bikes gone: honda shadow vlx, suzuki katana 600

Thanks for all the great info, now if I can make the trade

I had an 05RT. I now have the 10RT. The engine definitely gives you more low end power, which, if you are in the twisties and riding second gear, gives you good pull as low as 2000 rpm.

I really liked the servo brakes on the 2005 vs the 2010. The 2010 has great brakes, but the 05 power brakes were really incredible with just one finger. However, I would not want the repair bill if they failed.

The newer windshield is better, but I still put on a Cee Bailey.

The drain on the final drive certainly makes changing the fluid easier.

Both are great bikes. Handling is the same, which is excellent.

If you can upgrade without much loss, why not. I was forced to since my 05 got totaled.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

That will teach it to try to escape your trailer.

Thanks for the comments. Never had a RT with the whizzies but do have a K-GT with them. To me, they impede modulation and feel.

I have an 05 RT with the servo brakes. Doesn't bother me at all. It's just something you get used to. Approaching 96,000 miles on mine and trying to decide if I'm going to move up to a 2010 1300GT.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1