Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1990 K75RT Side Cover Removal

3 Red Bricks
    Get your fingers as close to A as you can before pulling.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

RK Ryder
    My bike is a Canadian '87 K RT. I raise the seat and then firmly pull at the front top of the cover, towards me. Once that "button" is free, I then push down to release the lower plastic "arm". Finally I then pull the cover towards the gas tank to release the rear pin.

Before reinstalling, I smear grease on the top rubber grommet and the lower rubber cylinder that the plastic "arm" wraps around.

Four years ago, a dealer broke the lower arm on my right cover. Picked up a replacement for when I lose the right side but so far, the upper "button" and rear pin have kept the battery cover on the bike.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

I have seen a couple of different side covers,the first picture is the '86 on (until the body style change in the early '90's) that seems to be the most common K100 cover. The second picture is the early K100 side cover that was used up to and including 1985. When they changed to the new style seat (grab rails on tail instead of seat) the side covers changed as well. That cover seemed to continue in production to be used on the solo seat K's with the radio box tail piece. I haven't seen a bike with the cover in the third picture but I am almost exclusively dealing with K100's so haven't seen many K75's (especially the later models).
    The connectors will break off the first two (at least the hooks and pin), I haven't broken the mushroom on any that I have. They are reasonably easy to repair, on the '86 style you can replace the broken pin with a bolt and the hook can be reinforced with welding rod and epoxy. On the earlier style I have replaced the plastic bracket with the hole in it with an aluminum sheet fabrication epoxied to the cover (the more surface area the better).
    The low seat models have a completely different setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 HP2 Sport 10,000, 2008 R1200GSA 97,000, 1990 R100GSPD 100,000, 1986 K100RS 152,000

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinwest View Post
    I haven't seen a bike with the cover in the third picture but I am almost exclusively dealing with K100's so haven't seen many K75's (especially the later models).
    K75S and I believe K75 Standard without low seat.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Cover on my '95 K75RT looks like this one.

ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

98 Lee you've got what I've got.

I girded my loins and betook me of the garage. I fondled around under the tank corner of the side cover and found what felt like a grommet. So then I pulled out toward me as close to the grommet as I could. Lo and behold it worked. And there was great rejoicing. Success had crowned my efforts. It was quite tight but eventually was persuaded that any further resistance was futile. Thanks to all of you for your input on this and saving me the expense and indignity of breaking the panel.

To recap: The manual says 1. Pull the side cover away from the frame at the bottom of the cover. 2. Push down at the front of the cover where it meets the tank. 3. Then pull it to the front and and remove it. This seems wrong to me.

Having looked it over: 1. One should start at the position under the tank and NOT PUL IT DOWN- but out. 2. Then slide it forward to remove the rear pin. The bottom hook would just go for a ride. If one followed the manual and pulled it down at the front under the tank it would certainly result in the front pin breaking.
    Thanks again.

BB

rdalland -yours is the same too. Your method is correct.
    BB

3 Red Bricks

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by beemerboy View Post
    rdalland -yours is the same too. Your method is correct.
    BB
    I posted as a data point, but thanks!

A little grease on the "post" makes it a lot easier to remove in the future.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

Any danger of the grease causing a breakdown of the rubber?
    BB

RK Ryder
    Any danger of the grease causing a breakdown of the rubber?
    BB
    I've been greasing my battery side cover grommets and rubber cylinder barrels for several years now without the rubber breaking down.

Even if it should eventually affect these rubber bits, they are much less expensive to replace than the battery covers.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

3 Red Bricks
    Yeah that might make the rubber break down. (In another 30 years or so)

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

If in doubt, use the silicone spray you use on your windows.

Being from Manitoba, you must be using liberal amounts of silicone spray on the side windows of your boxes to keep them from freezing to the weatherstripping. It won't hurt the rubber.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Yes.
    I put on silicone spray just before I put the frost shields on the windshield : )
    BB

Not to hi-jack.......

Yes.
    I put on silicone spray just before I put the frost shields on the windshield : )
    BB
    If you are old enough to remember those, you're old enough to remember Canucks telling visitors from the US that we had electric cars first, just needed really long extension cords.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."