Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: LH Switch Cluster

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    HBuntsville Al
    Posts
    11

    LH Switch Cluster

    Looks like my LH switch just died. No horn, windshield wont lower and right turn wont work. Bike only has 1500 miles. Start button on the other side is acting up too.

    My problem is a live 100 miles from the closest dealer and dont want to drive that far with no horn. Anyone taken the LH cluster off? What size are the two screws and how do you take it off.

    My hope is the dealer will send me one.

  2. #2
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,732
    Dealer needs to install in order to collect reimbursement for warranty.

    If your bike is this new and still under warranty, dealer will send truck to pick up your bike. BMW roadside assistance.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  3. #3
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    7,709
    Quote Originally Posted by caddss View Post
    Looks like my LH switch just died. No horn, windshield wont lower and right turn wont work. Bike only has 1500 miles. Start button on the other side is acting up too.

    My problem is a live 100 miles from the closest dealer and dont want to drive that far with no horn. Anyone taken the LH cluster off? What size are the two screws and how do you take it off.

    My hope is the dealer will send me one.
    It might be a tad helpful if we knew what year/model you have.. there are different switch designs on different years. Given you have problems with components controlled by both switches I rather doubt that the root cause is bad switches. The new ones do go bad - but haven't heard of simultaneous failures of both.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    HBuntsville Al
    Posts
    11
    Sorry. It is a 2012 r1200rt.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    HBuntsville Al
    Posts
    11
    Good to know about them coming to pick it up. Will call them Monday. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Registered User wvpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ypsilanti, Michigan
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by caddss View Post
    Looks like my LH switch just died. No horn, windshield wont lower and right turn wont work. Bike only has 1500 miles. Start button on the other side is acting up too.

    Do you ride alot in the rain/park outside uncovered? 1500 miles is not much on a 2012 rt.
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

  7. #7
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    5,924
    Or spray high pressure at the car wash?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  8. #8
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,732
    You're correct it's a safety issue to have no horn. ... or turn signals nor ability to flash headlight. Given the 2014 shock issue, dealers should be pretty safety conscious and shouldn't refuse you. Those bikes will be transported by roadside assistance and there's no reason yours shouldn't be too.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  9. #9
    Registered User vetsurginc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Parkland, FL
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by wvpc View Post
    Do you ride alot in the rain/park outside uncovered? 1500 miles is not much on a 2012 rt.
    My left cluster also just took a partial dump. Started after spending a night in a north florida rain on the way to the RA at Birmingham. Cover was on, but is not waterproof (out of sight out of mind cover from Aerostitch). Started with intermittent turn signal turn off failure (though using emergency flasher and off would stop turn flasher, or let them time out). When I got home tried wd40 to expel any water, but no help.

    Dealer says switchgear is toast and cost to replace around $360. With 4 years and 18000 miles on the clock this is on my dime. Stupid new style turn signals

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    HBuntsville Al
    Posts
    11

    Now it works????

    No water involved - rain or wash. Bike is garaged. As for the low miles the guy who had it before me had some medical issues and didnt get to ride much. 1000 miles when I bought it a few weeks ago.

    So today i go to the garage and try the switch and everything works. The only thing I can think of that may have caused the problem yesterday was that when I was riding yesterday I stopped for a while and the bike was sitting in the sun. It was about 85+ here yesterday. Wonder if the sun light coming through the windshields like a magnifying glass could cause the problem.

    Now I'm concerned about taking a trip. Would hate to get stuck somewhere.

  11. #11
    Registered User Alfred02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by caddss View Post
    No water involved - rain or wash. Bike is garaged. As for the low miles the guy who had it before me had some medical issues and didnt get to ride much. 1000 miles when I bought it a few weeks ago.

    So today i go to the garage and try the switch and everything works. The only thing I can think of that may have caused the problem yesterday was that when I was riding yesterday I stopped for a while and the bike was sitting in the sun. It was about 85+ here yesterday. Wonder if the sun light coming through the windshields like a magnifying glass could cause the problem.

    Now I'm concerned about taking a trip. Would hate to get stuck somewhere.
    It's under warranty, have it replaced.
    Don't take NO for an answer.
    Australia N,S,W
    Mid North Coast
    2014 R1200RT LC/SE

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Menlo Park, CA
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by caddss View Post
    No water involved - rain or wash. Bike is garaged. As for the low miles the guy who had it before me had some medical issues and didnt get to ride much. 1000 miles when I bought it a few weeks ago.

    So today i go to the garage and try the switch and everything works. The only thing I can think of that may have caused the problem yesterday was that when I was riding yesterday I stopped for a while and the bike was sitting in the sun. It was about 85+ here yesterday. Wonder if the sun light coming through the windshields like a magnifying glass could cause the problem.

    Now I'm concerned about taking a trip. Would hate to get stuck somewhere.
    There was some discussion either here or on another forum about being able to temporarily resurrect a hot switch by placing an ice-pack on it, but Alfred is right: get it replaced with the redesigned unit and be able to forget about it.

    JayJay
    ******
    '09 R1200 RT
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3
    i'd be tempted to carry a small can of freeze spray with me like I use at the shop...

    does anyone happen to know if the '13RT has the old switches or the new part # "upgraded" switches?
    Last edited by kgb1; 06-17-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •