Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40

Thread: BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by kcdowning View Post
    I think the big picture of future business from BMW is the point you didn't mention. The number of RTs is insignificant. Can you as Tenneco walk away from a customer the size of BMW? How many millions of cars and bikes will you be excluded from consideration as a supplier with that approach?

I have wondered about going with another manufacturer. I wondered if that was a proprietary design of Marzocchi? If so I would think BMWs hands are tied. They would have to go through the whole development/QC cycle to bring on another manufacturer in.
    I'm not sure how many Tenneco products BMW uses but I know that BMW is a small fish in a very big pond. In 2011, Germany contributed 9.7% of all the cars manufactured worldwide and BMW is far from the largest German manufacturer. Small fish in a big pond. As for bikes they sold 115,000 worldwide in 2013...a record year for them. So who has leverage over whom is debatable. Plus I'm pretty sure that BMW favors Ohlins and some other manufacturers over Marzocchi. And I'm pretty sure Marzocchi is an after thought for Tenneco compared to say...their Monroe division.

I don't know about proprietary design, but I doubt it, maybe for the strut portion but not likely the ESA motor and software...hard to say.

Quote Originally Posted by kcdowning View Post
    I don't think the regulations differentiate.

The whole process is determined by the manufacturer with concurrence from NHTSA concurrence right.

BMW is not raising the bar in outreach but I think they are meeting the industry standard.
    I was referring to your "expectations" comment. I do not think expectations are out of line from a customers perspective. Paying $23,000 for a motorized bike and being told not to ride it brings out the best in expectations.
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

/2 cents
    I read somewhere that Marzocchi changed the spec on the shock without BMW's knowledge. If that is the case I can't see them trying to side step the issue.

BUT we can postulate all we want, piss and moan, point fingers, and bitch about BMW and it does absolutely nothing positive.

BMW gave you 4 choices. Choose one and follow through. If you insist in Lemon Lawing you'll get no where because BMW is offering to buy the bike back. IF another issue comes up after the fix then you're covered if you state covers you once the law has been tripped.

I got an email AND a call. I had already contacted BMW CS and had been assigned to Jay.

Me? I've been elbows deep in a remodel so any riding would have been minimal. I've got a couple 3 weeks to go then a mid-August non-motorcycle family vacation, hopefully my timing is right.
    /2 cents off
    Greg
    South Central Valley, California
    2014 R1200RTW, 2013 Paiggio BV350, 2010 Yamaha TW200

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    /2 cents
    I read somewhere that Marzocchi changed the spec on the shock without BMW's knowledge. If that is the case I can't see them trying to side step the issue.

BUT we can postulate all we want, piss and moan, point fingers, and bitch about BMW and it does absolutely nothing positive.

BMW gave you 4 choices. Choose one and follow through. If you insist in Lemon Lawing you'll get no where because BMW is offering to buy the bike back. IF another issue comes up after the fix then you're covered if you state covers you once the law has been tripped.

I got an email AND a call. I had already contacted BMW CS and had been assigned to Jay.

Me? I've been elbows deep in a remodel so any riding would have been minimal. I've got a couple 3 weeks to go then a mid-August non-motorcycle family vacation, hopefully my timing is right.
    /2 cents off
    If only all four of those four choices (options) were viable and TIMELY and BMW provided enough OFFICIAL information to make an informed choice. Otherwise you're right.
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    If only all four of those four choices (options) were viable and TIMELY and BMW provided enough OFFICIAL information to make an informed choice. Otherwise you're right.
    +1 Well said.

Personally, I find BMW's predicament fascinating from a business economics perspective. As for a decision, I am proactively creating my own solution with an aftermarket shock.

As for any pissing, moaning and bitching...everyone knows misery loves company, but one isn't being forced to read it.