Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

Marzocchi is the culprit, from what I have read.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    I just don't get it why BMW doesn't at least provide that as an option on their flagship bikes like the RT, GT, GTL, and KS. At these price points and given what we all spend on them after the purchase, I bet the vast majority of buyers would check the option box for a rebuildable performance suspension on a new purchase.
    The buyer has/had the choice between normal ESA and semi active suspension system.
    The majority of riders both in Germany and in english speaking countries report that the semi active suspension outperforms in handling, anything that either Wilbers or Ohlins have to offer.
    The normal ESA is NOT effected in this recall anyway and isn't even made by the same company.

Marzocchi is not exactly the new kid on the block here and also isn't known to make bad suspension.
    I do believe that BMW deserves a black eye for having dropped the ball in regards to quality control and not enough testing.
    But lets just keep it in perspective. This has just happened and the announcement was made just before the weekend.

How about we give them at least a chance before crucifying the company.
    Australia N,S,W
    Mid North Coast
    2014 R1200RT LC/SE

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred02 View Post
    The normal ESA is NOT effected in this recall anyway and isn't even made by the same company.
    But wouldnt you have to order a bike with Normal ESA? Most bikes i see at my dealership will have some sort of set of items ordered onto it straight from factory. So like if u want a more stripped down bike, you would have to order that from the dealership, otherwise you would buy whatever bike they have on the lot, which i think would come with Dynamic ESA and all the other bells and whistles. this would be a majority of the consumers i guess.
    Crick0234

bikes owned: r1200rt, f800st
    bikes gone: honda shadow vlx, suzuki katana 600

RickeyG
    When I inquired about a loaner, my dealership told me to contact BMW corporate, because they "don't do loaners". Anybody else having any headway with corporate? I would like to know what the standard is before I contact them. Someone mentioned seeking a warranty extension, that sounds real good right now.

RickeyG

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred02 View Post
    Snipped...
    Question about describing it as a 'recall' at this point. Clearly that is where it is headed from what I have read; however, checking the recall sites for:

CA : http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/....aspx?lang=eng
    US : http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues
    UK : http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp
    EU : http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/safety...nt=main.search
    AU : http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/952843

None list this issue as I post this. Do you have a source that I am not aware of? For all sorts of reasons I would like to know it.

While it does not excuse the underlying issues that need to be addressed and may point to the seriousness of the issue; given that recalls and the process to deal with the customer service issues take time for a company to put together. At this point in a recall process the line between a diligent concerned company acting in good faith and that of a low life gutter slime outfit is way to narrow for me to shoot. Until the shot is clearer I would spend more time getting clear information and staying safe. Obviously YMMV
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

On road trip-just got the phone call!

Just this evening ,6 PM Eastern, I received a call from my selling Dealer in Louisville KY ( Harley Dealer First) and informed me of the stop ride order! On a road trip from Indiana to Colorado! When did this "No
    Ride Order" come down! From reading the posts it looks like Thursday, the day I departed Indiana for Colorado! I just got the call! What's up with that! Dealer told me he had many, many serial numbers to review and just discovered my bike was involved! I asked, how many bikes have you sold that are involved, answer, 3! So I ask! Does the Dealer really give a ****! Does BMW really give a ****! Could BMW be a division of GM? Don Miller. 2014RTW

Contact with Corporate

I tried emailing corporate today. I made a pretty simple inquiry asking what the problem was and the timeline to resolve; I also mentioning that I had travel plans. I would like to know if anyone else talks to or hears back from corporate and what they learned. Hopefully this 'contact corporate' thing isn't just a diversionary tactic.

Dealer Response

Quote Originally Posted by djmiller217 View Post
    Just this evening ,6 PM Eastern, I received a call from my selling Dealer in Louisville KY ( Harley Dealer First) and informed me of the stop ride order! On a road trip from Indiana to Colorado! When did this "No
    Ride Order" come down! From reading the posts it looks like Thursday, the day I departed Indiana for Colorado! I just got the call! What's up with that! Dealer told me he had many, many serial numbers to review and just discovered my bike was involved! I asked, how many bikes have you sold that are involved, answer, 3! So I ask! Does the Dealer really give a ****! Does BMW really give a ****! Could BMW be a division of GM? Don Miller. 2014RTW
    I believe all dealers where told to call anyone who had the ESA on the new 14'RT (which is practically everyone), so all your dealer had to do was to look at who bought the 3 bikes and give them a call. He either wasn't paying attention or maybe doesn't keep good records. A couple of dealers were just slow to respond, but I think most got the calls out pretty quick.

Also if you are still on the road have BMW buy you a ticket home and transport your bike as well.

And remember what the Oracle said to Neo ' just have one of those chocolate chip cookies and you will forget all about it in the morning'

I think anyone with a trip underway or planned will take this pretty hard. I know I have one coming up and it will be really disappointing not to take the new bike.
    Last edited by 109418; 06-10-2014 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    Question about describing it as a 'recall' at this point. Clearly that is where it is headed from what I have read; however, checking the recall sites for:

CA : http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/....aspx?lang=eng
    US : http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues
    UK : http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp
    EU : http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/safety...nt=main.search
    AU : http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/952843

None list this issue as I post this. Do you have a source that I am not aware of? For all sorts of reasons I would like to know it.

While it does not excuse the underlying issues that need to be addressed and may point to the seriousness of the issue; given that recalls and the process to deal with the customer service issues take time for a company to put together. At this point in a recall process the line between a diligent concerned company acting in good faith and that of a low life gutter slime outfit is way to narrow for me to shoot. Until the shot is clearer I would spend more time getting clear information and staying safe. Obviously YMMV
    BMW preemptively contacted customers and is preparing the recall filing. See the attachment from post #64, this is what BMW has emailed to me as well. I think it explains everything that has been communicated up to this point.

Recall

I rode my 2014 from Phoenix Medico and to Casper Wyoming, 2 up with luggage, in heat, across the million dollar highway in the very cold temperatures, past Montrose, Colorado, in the very heavy wind and rain of Rawlins, Wyoming and home. I didn't speed that I remember, but I sometimes rode aggressively. Since then, I have ridden on very hot days. It seems that, if the suspension was going to break, that it had it's chance. Is this a manufacturing issue that is exposed by fatigue? Two failures on 8000 bikes gives me much better odds that I've had in awhile with other issues.

Recall

I'd like to recall that word, I meant Mexico. I road into Mexico and back. How's that for a quick fix?

Good luck tomorrow ladies and gents!

Quote Originally Posted by djmiller217 View Post
    So I ask! Does the Dealer really give a ****! Does BMW really give a ****! Could BMW be a division of GM? Don Miller. 2014RTW
    BMW is not a division of GM. BMW is a premium brand. BMW has a genius........BMW AD.jpg
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

RickeyG
    Florida Lemon Law does not cover motorcycles. Worst case scenario for us, I guess, is to allow a voluntary repo of the bike if no other relief comes from BMW. Anyone choosing that option should buy another (non-BMW) bike before doing the repo and ruining your credit.

Indiana Lemon Law does not cover motorcycles. However, the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that the manufacturer of any product, from your toaster to your lemon motorcycle, must abide by the warranty. Unlike the Indiana Lemon Law for new cars, which allows you to go into arbitration if the manufacturer requires it, you need to sue the manufacturer and/or dealer of your motorcycle in a court of law. The window of time to initiate a lawsuit is small, so speak to a Lemon Law attorney if your motorcycle has been in the shop three times for the same problem. If your case is successful, the manufacturer will have pay for attorneys' fees, so you shouldn't have to pay for representation.

Above is from a "legal" web site. In genera,l it appears to be a potentially long and up hill battle should one eventually choose such route.
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

I'm pissed !