Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fatality Statistics

Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    Motorcycle Consumer News May 2014 has an article on page 30 about this. The statistics reported are very interesting.

2012 Motorcyclist Fatalities
    (FARS) Fatal Accident Reporting System

Brands of Involved Motorcycles,
    Sold 2005 Through 2010

BMW 17
    Harley-Davidson 692
    All Others 1330
    2012 Total 2039
    This provides no useful information without the corresponding market share of the brands.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInCA View Post
    This provides no useful information without the corresponding market share of the brands.
    Market share, miles ridden per year, age/experience of rider, helmet use. All would help. I remember one stat years ago that a good percentage of motorcycle fatalities did not even have a motorcycle endorsement.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    Market share, miles ridden per year, age/experience of rider, helmet use. All would help. I remember one stat years ago that a good percentage of motorcycle fatalities did not even have a motorcycle endorsement.
    Yes, I recall it being stated as 50% of M/C fatalities.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    ................ I remember one stat years ago that a good percentage of motorcycle fatalities did not even have a motorcycle endorsement.
    So I have to ask those that had a MC endorsement, what did the process of getting it teach you????????

I do have mine, but in NY if you can do figure eights, and 3 circles to the right and 3 to the left you get your endorsement! NO braking skills, NO training, NO nothing!

So what does the "statistic" mean??
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by suttie View Post
    They are both brand new riders, and so I want to get them into a safe and comfortable bike (BMW preferred).
    They would be better off getting some "used" 350 cc dual purpose motorcycles and learning on those and hitting the dirt trails. Dirt riding is where you learn a lot about riding....that or come drive Stelvio or Manghen.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    BMW's are like Volvos. They are relatively safe machines, but another big part of their safety record is the type of people that buy them. Conservative drivers/riders and safety conscious for the most part.
    I'm not sure I'd agree with the conservative statement, though definitely safety conscious! Most of the Beemer riders I know, myself included, will ride 10% faster than the speed limit and not slow for curves. Most of the cruisers I know, regardless of brand, ride 10% below the speed limit and crawl through curves. They are also less likely to wear protective gear or even to head check before turning or changing lanes lest their sunglasses get blown off.

I also hear a lot of talk in that crowd perpetuating myths: LPSL, helmets will break your neck, never use the front brake, etc. I think that herd attitude and group riding keeps novice riders from ever fully developing their skills. As others have said, the attitude among experienced long distance solo or small group riders regardless of brand is completely different.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Most of the Beemer riders I know, myself included, will ride 10% faster than the speed limit and not slow for curves. Most of the cruisers I know, regardless of brand, ride 10% below the speed limit and crawl through curves.
    And there you have it; the answer.

Germany has less fatalities percentage-wise of the population, than the US. It must be the no speed limits on the autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    I'm not sure I'd agree with the conservative statement, though definitely safety conscious! Most of the Beemer riders I know, myself included, will ride 10% faster than the speed limit and not slow for curves.
    Agreed, by conservative I meant riding within their skill level and conditions allowing. That usually exceeds the posted limit. As a side note, I find myself regularly passing Harleys on my Ural, that thing has 40 hp for 800lbs and tops out at 65mph!
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Agreed, by conservative I meant riding within their skill level and conditions allowing. That usually exceeds the posted limit. As a side note, I find myself regularly passing Harleys on my Ural, that thing has 40 hp for 800lbs and tops out at 65mph!
    And I was being conservative by admitting to exceeding the speed limit by just 10%.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    And there you have it; the answer.

Germany has less fatalities percentage-wise of the population, than the US. It must be the no speed limits on the autobahn.
    "must be the answer"?
    Does Germany have the same demographic operating vehicles as in USA? Teens on I-phones, adults on I-phones, big mac in one hand phone in the other,running red lights(seems to be the new bad driver thing now days?)driver training(or lack there of) similar approach to DUI issues,licensing requirements(I'm 70+ & they have no idea if I can still see!) etc., etc.? Lots of factors, to say the least!
    Question is based on -I don't know the answer.
    What I do know is that we don't approach the problem from a pro-active stance in USA-I'll avoid getting too deep into one of my fave soap box issues...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.