Thread: 1997 R1100RS grip heaters

1997 R1100RS grip heaters

I have managed to mess up my throttle side grip heater, but they are so anemic I am not even sure when it went out! The BMW R & R is as usual very expensive and will just give me another anemic grip heater. Has anyone added aftermarket heaters using the original switch and wiring? I don't want to add external wires and want to keep the bike as original as possible, but thought I may be able to upgrade and have some real heaters. My RT had super grip heaters-guess the RS aluminum handlebar is a real heat sink. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I ordered some from ebay ($40)which were for a snowmobile. fit fine, and are still functioning for year 4.
    My bike did not have grip heaters, so I added an original switch from BMW, and used the original grips.

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Thanks Ken. Do you recall the brand?

I have managed to mess up my throttle side grip heater, but they are so anemic I am not even sure when it went out!
    Your BMW heated grips should have a Hi and Lo. Pushing the rocker up is Hi, and pushing down is Lo. Not exactly obvious. When on Hi, it is quite warm. I use Hi between 32 and 55F. I use Low from 55F up. I should also note that Low is not very warm.

Note the two position switch. On high mine is barely noticeable, on low not there at all. My local BMW shop says that is how the RS heater is due to the aluminum bar, and said that accounts for the difference with my RT. Got the bike used-beautiful shape. Could there be another problem with the heaters or is that as good as it gets with the RS?

I can't answer your question about the aluminum bars, however mine heat up quite nicely on high, and are comfortable on low.

Unfortunately I don't remember the brand of grip heaters I ordered. I would suspect they are all about the same. I did not research it at all, just ordered some. The switch from BMW was by far the more expensive!

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Didn't realize that the RS had aluminium bars. Your dealers explanation makes sense. If possible, maybe you can put some Teflon tape between the aluminium bars and the heating unit. You can get Teflon tape with adhesive. The question would be if there is enough space for the Teflon tape. If the tape will not work, maybe there is some type of spray on Teflon. I do know that my RT gets very hot.

I don't buy the dealer's explanation. The factory heated grips on my '95 RS get plenty hot.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '95 R1100RS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by smedski View Post
    My local BMW shop says that is how the RS heater is due to the aluminum bar...
    That's a crock. The bars on my S are aluminum and my grip heaters work almost too well.

I'm going with BC1100S.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    That's a crock. The bars on my S are aluminum and my grip heaters work almost too well.
    I have an RT and my grips get warm enough through my gloves to make a big difference in my arthritic hands. My hands suck, the grip heaters are great.

I did aftermarket on another bike I own and they were comparable. One small issue, wiring is outside the grip meaning I have a loose cable to tighten at WOT.

If you aren't happy with the heat, live in Canada, any heat of any kind at any time, as simple as it may be, is way, way better than cuddling up with your wife/girlfriend wearing red one-piece and asking her if she could quit snoring. It gets pretty cold after that.

Snowing tonight here......................
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."