Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Wet shaft that's supposed to be dry...Yikes

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Penn Hills, PA
    Posts
    540

    Wet shaft that's supposed to be dry...Yikes

    So after being in my garage getting degreased, going over electrics, more cleaning, replacing missing parts, replacing old parts, getting ready to fire up...I come home today and see oil under the rear boot...hmm...its just been sitting here on center stand and moving in and out of garage...pull boot back and what appears to be every last drop of gear oil, gearbox? runs out...now, I know I checked the level in December before I bought her, and I did not put but 200 miles on before winter took hold...check level and it is full...so I guess PO had problem and I was too star struck to check, and all this time of cleaning and such, no oil till now. I guess I'm looking at output shaft seal bad? What do I need as far as special tools? What should I be aware to look out for that might make work go smooth? And please, Airheads near Pitttsburgh that might be able to lend expertise, PM me.
    Thanks
    Last edited by RIK; 05-01-2014 at 11:54 PM. Reason: rephrase
    Safety Committee
    Frog Bayou Boys
    '91 R100GS "Bumblebee"
    '09 G650GS

  2. #2
    #4869 DennisDarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sugar Valley, Ga
    Posts
    1,079
    By rear boot, do you mean the boot between the transmission and the driveshaft that covers the U joints???..........When you say the "check level and it is full".....WHAT is full? The transmission? The driveshaft housing? The rear end differential? Often the oil/fluid in the driveshaft can migrate up into the boot and when this leaks from around a tear in the boot it can cause a mess. Yes, the output seal on the transmission can let oil get past it. How much oil came out of the boot when you pulled it back? ...........Good luck........God bless.......Dennis

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Penn Hills, PA
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    By rear boot, do you mean the boot between the transmission and the driveshaft that covers the U joints???..........When you say the "check level and it is full".....WHAT is full? The transmission? The driveshaft housing? The rear end differential? Often the oil/fluid in the driveshaft can migrate up into the boot and when this leaks from around a tear in the boot it can cause a mess. Yes, the output seal on the transmission can let oil get past it. How much oil came out of the boot when you pulled it back? ...........Good luck........God bless.......Dennis
    did not explain well, so, pulled boot back at drive shaft to final drive, a pint or more gear oil ran out. checked level of oil in transmission, full.

    i am guessing the output shaft seal because of amount of oil, cold it be something else.

    again, any tips on performing replacement. any special tools needed? clymer shows everything removed from frame, can work be performed without removing transmission and disassembling?
    Safety Committee
    Frog Bayou Boys
    '91 R100GS "Bumblebee"
    '09 G650GS

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    B.P., MN
    Posts
    735
    This driveshaft is on an airhead? What model? Year?

  5. #5
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,051
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    This driveshaft is on an airhead? What model? Year?
    His sig line says '91 R100GS. If that's the bike, this is a paralever with a rubber boot at the back end of the shaft.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Penn Hills, PA
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    His sig line says '91 R100GS. If that's the bike, this is a paralever with a rubber boot at the back end of the shaft.

    yes, that is the bike.

    I'm slow, but I'm learning....
    Safety Committee
    Frog Bayou Boys
    '91 R100GS "Bumblebee"
    '09 G650GS

  7. #7
    #4869 DennisDarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sugar Valley, Ga
    Posts
    1,079
    ahhhhhhhhh MY BAD.........need some NEW lenses here.........God bless.....Dennis

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    28

    Smile wet drive shaft that is supposedto be dry

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    ahhhhhhhhh MY BAD.........need some NEW lenses here.........God bless.....Dennis
    several years ago i purchased a 1993 R100R when i took the drive shaft out to lubricate it I found a previous owner who i never met or knew decided an oil bath lubrication would work fine and somehow or other that is what he or she did. I lubricated the splines in the normal manner and have happily rode about 50 K. perhaps your 1991 R100Gs had the same previous owner or a friend of theirs. Bob

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,430
    Quote Originally Posted by RIK View Post
    did not explain well, so, pulled boot back at drive shaft to final drive, a pint or more gear oil ran out. checked level of oil in transmission, full.

    i am guessing the output shaft seal because of amount of oil, cold it be something else.

    again, any tips on performing replacement. any special tools needed? clymer shows everything removed from frame, can work be performed without removing transmission and disassembling?
    if transmission is full (bike on c-stand, oil will just barely dribble out of the fill hole), and you've found a pint in the boot, then that runaway oil came out of the FD. check it's level (again, on c-stand, oil should just be at bottom of threads for filler plug) to confirm.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Carolina Coast
    Posts
    404

    Oil In Boot . . . .

    I had the same situation. I had an oil puddle on the converter and it smelled when hot. I replaced the seal on the front of the f/d. It took a special tool which I made. It took a very long breaker bar to loosen up the threaded retainer. I never had a BMW (42 years) that leaked. Now no leaks.
    Campbell J Tellman II

    1993 R100RT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •