Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Today may be my last day of BMW ownership!

Quote Originally Posted by ratze View Post
    Turncoat, lol. jes kidding, you will love that honda for many many trouble free years of riding. i still have a couple of em layen around the barn, i call em the go to bikes. when nothing else works they do.
    +1
    I believe you will really like the ST. I have an ST1100 now with 85K on it. I have ridden the ST1300's and Honda has solved some of the issues the ST1100 had.

As to the "Soul" issue...W.T.H? The two K100's I had were nice. But so is the Honda. The nearly 7 gallon tank is really handy feature. Granted it didn't handle as well as the K's. Until I found the right tires and had the suspension replaced with proper spring rates, Traxion Dynamic cartridges, and Penske rear shock. I'm keeping this simpler, smoother, dare it say better bike a long time.

Will I be back to BMW? for now, no. Too many gizmo's, to many electronic potential failure features.
    But then, a nicely restored airhead...
    jim
    ST1100 "renamed " Large Marge" Better now with Race Tech, Penske, Michelin PR III's.

74 Honda XL350 "Ltl Scoot" Just for fun

Set in our ways

Every riders has his style and like a mate they choose the one that suits them best. Everyone likes a different dog. I sometimes find it kind of funny how some riders have little respect for another band then they ride. H-D and BMW are the most loyal I find and the most likely to put belittle another brand. Bavarian Manure Wagon I been told by may a H-D rider: maybe all in fun. On the whole I find owners of Japanese brands, will be more open to other motorcycles makes and riding styles. BMW is all most all touring, H-D is all about the group ride (many with load pipes), and some Japanese is about the aggressive sport riding. Honda has made the Goldwing the great tourer, and of course the big K's keep pace (of course I think when the Goldwing was made in USA it gave a lift to many, which cared on). The ST has been a stable for Iron Butt type rides for many riders. I still amazed that you need a 1000 plus CC bike for the average rider, mostly by ego. I not sure why anyone needs over a hundred horse motorcycle for most riding.

I find only my Airhead seems to be accepted almost any where. So in closing of this bias comment, Ride what you like, the way you want, and I try and stay out of your way.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
    Appliance.
    Ridiculous

na1g
    "Appliance?" Well my refrigerator has run flawlessly for 22 years so maybe it's a good thing.

Seriously, if you want some "character" slip on a pair of Staintune mufflers. And the first time you lean the big ST hard into a curve, you'll be impressed. Honda did a nice job with the ST1300.

pete
    (Had a 2003 ST. Now on a 2011 RT. Both excellent machines.)

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Been touched on a few times, some bikes lack personality, they are great and reliable bikes, but fail to stir the senses. And many of us want that "feel" when we ride.

That's why I just haven't connected with my K1200GT. It's a great bike, but lacks soul. I really want the new RT and have a test ride lined up mid May on the demo day at the dealer. We'll see if it has the character I desire. If so, look out savings!
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    ...have a test ride lined up mid May on the demo day at the dealer...
    Enjoy! Are you trying anything else?

I thought about signing up, but can't decide.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

YOWZA, that pig is 730 pounds wet!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPhilD View Post

Why do some folks feel the need to piss in someone's corn flakes?

I've worked in and around the automotive and motorcycle business quite a few years of my adult life. I've seen so many people make mistakes so I don't consider it peeing in someone's cornflakes. I like to consider it subtle information dissemination.

Phil, it's OK, don't feel inadequate. Some of us can handle it and some can't.

I've worked in and around the automotive and motorcycle business quite a few years of my adult life. I've seen so many people make mistakes so I don't consider it peeing in someone's cornflakes. I like to consider it subtle information dissemination.

You can spin it any way you want. You are still rip'n on a persons new ride.

Well, I guess I have drank more BMW KoolAid than I had realized. The ST was amazingly smooth...rode great, exceptional torque, ultra quiet, good weather protection, very nimble at slow speeds, ultra slick clutch, but.....there is always a 'but'.....it was not as stable as the RT. Not as comfortable ergonomically and the interstate was kinda spooky the way it was pushed around by the trucks at 70 mph! Just didn't 'feel' right.

Got back on the RT and rode for 100 miles. I guess I like the RT more than I had thought It felt good under my butt, it handled better than I remembered, and that goofy boxer motor thump wasn't as bad as I was thinking. Now, if I can just get rid of the SURGING!!!

The surge is what is making a great motorcycle not so great!

I am as fickle as a woman! Who knows what I want! But, my favorite phrase sums it up, "The best you know is the best you've had" so I will keep trying!

The dealer did invite me back to test ride a Goldwing!!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post

Got back on the RT and rode for 100 miles. I guess I like the RT more than I had thought It felt good under my butt, it handled better than I remembered, and that goofy boxer motor thump wasn't as bad as I was thinking.
    There isn't anything out there like the RT. I really love the Boxer motor. The low center of gravity just handles the wind amazingly.

For an old man the RT is significantly lighter than either an ST or FJR or a Triumph Trophy.
    Larry
    Midnight Blue 2013 BMW R1200RT (purchased 9/24/2013)
    2010 Harley Road Glide (gone after 61,964 miles)
    2001 Harley Electra Glide (gone after 138,048 miles)

Quote Originally Posted by xlarry View Post
    There isn't anything out there like the RT. I really love the Boxer motor. The low center of gravity just handles the wind amazingly.

For an old man the RT is significantly lighter than either an ST or FJR or a Triumph Trophy.
    Funny thing is, before I left the dealership, I did a few figure 8's on the parking lot to get the feel for the Honda, and it was WAYYY more nimble than the BMW. The low speed steering was very light and easy...maybe the geometry is a little different than the BMW, and that lightness at low speed makes it twitchy at high speed?

The Honda is a wonderful bike, and if I didn't have already experienced the BMW, I would have bought it today.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    Enjoy! Are you trying anything else?

I thought about signing up, but can't decide.
    Just the RT, nothing else that is on the radar currently. The GS is still tons of fun and too farkled up to consider replacing it.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.