Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Today may be my last day of BMW ownership!

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    That's why I just haven't connected with my K1200GT. It's a great bike, but lacks soul.
    Ed:

You would enjoy some seat time on an ST; and I need to check out a GT on Highway 66 to see if I can find its soul.

I thought about signing up, but can't decide. Rinty
    I'm signed up to ride the new GS next week. Wonder if Remus has a pipe for it yet?
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    Ed:

You would enjoy some seat time on an ST; and I need to check out a GT on Highway 66 to see if I can find its soul.

I'm signed up to ride the new GS next week. Wonder if Remus has a pipe for it yet?
    I'm riding the RT in the morning. We'll see if I need to talk to my banker afterwards. ;-) (not really, she has no illusion of control over my spending habits).

It's not that the GT isn't a great bike, but ......

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    I'm riding the RT in the morning.
    And?

...if I need to talk to my banker afterwards...
    You can talk to her as soon as you get home.
    Rinty

That would the morning demo rides next Saturday at Blackfoot. I'll be sure to share the results.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    As far as a '14 RT goes, grab open the throttle, even in road mode, and hang on....
    +1.

I demoed a new GS yesterday, and the power is incredible. Also impressive is how easy it is to blip the throttle to match rpm's on downshifts, the revs come up so fast. The BMW Canada front rider asked me if I'd tried the Dyna mode, and I said: "I'm not going there." And the sound from the stock exhaust system is just rorty enough (for me, anyway) that you don't need to install a Remus.

I think BMW has another pair of winners, with these bikes.
    Rinty

I definitely tried the Dynamic mode on the RT I rode in the morning, you should have given it a go. There was a distinct difference in the engine response and sound. I was pretty impressed with the RT too. I'm in a real dilemma now trying to convince myself for or against ordering one.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB

I'm in a real dilemma now....mcmxcivrs
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    Well, I guess I have drank more BMW KoolAid than I had realized. The ST was amazingly smooth...rode great, exceptional torque, ultra quiet, good weather protection, very nimble at slow speeds, ultra slick clutch, but.....there is always a 'but'.....it was not as stable as the RT. Not as comfortable ergonomically and the interstate was kinda spooky the way it was pushed around by the trucks at 70 mph! Just didn't 'feel' right.

Got back on the RT and rode for 100 miles. I guess I like the RT more than I had thought It felt good under my butt, it handled better than I remembered, and that goofy boxer motor thump wasn't as bad as I was thinking. Now, if I can just get rid of the SURGING!!!

The surge is what is making a great motorcycle not so great!

I am as fickle as a woman! Who knows what I want! But, my favorite phrase sums it up, "The best you know is the best you've had" so I will keep trying!

The dealer did invite me back to test ride a Goldwing!!
    I had two R1100RT's and I understand the annoyance about the surging.... mine both had it and it drove me nuts in town, especially with the clunky gearbox action... no amount of fiddling with the enrichment box (forget the brand) or plugs could eliminate it unless I went so rich my mpg dropped into the mid-30's. It was one reason I also tried the Honda ST.

My point being, the newer R1200RT has none of that. It is a completely different motorcycle - better in every way.. maybe you could try one.. lots of 2 yr old ones available at good prices now from guys trading into the wet head version. Just a thought. I had a 2010 and now have a 2012 and it is hands down the best sport touring bike I have ever owned.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    2012 R1200RT
    2012 Super Tenere
    2001 R1100RT (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by jrbelknap View Post
    It is a completely different motorcycle - better in every way.. .
    +1. The 1200s are much improved machines, particularly with the gear spacings.
    Rinty