Thread: The Blue Ridge Parkway in April

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.

The Blue Ridge Parkway in April

Three other old codgers and I rode about 75 or 80 miles of the BRP today near the Va./NC. line. The Parkway is a very different experience when you ride it when the leaves are not on the trees. The things you can see without the cover of leaves are amazing. The mountains, deep valleys, rocks, farms, normally hidden houses and other sights are something to behold. The traffic was light but we saw vehicles from TN, CA, NY, and other places but little local traffic. We saw about a dozen motorcycles of all styles.

I live within about 60 miles of the Parkway and am able to ride it several times during the colder months and a sunny but chilly day like today is my favorite time to do it. If you ever have the opportunity, you should do it.

The weather has been rough on the pavement this winter and there were numerous potholes, There were also a lot of trees that had fallen across the road that had been left on the side after they were removed.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

My wife and I drove the parkway several hundred miles early one spring.

I concur with all you said about the views.

When we did it, there were still several sections on the parkway with unplowed snow a couple feet deep. That's when we learned to travel on some of the side roads where residents travel.

Great experience.
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Three other old codgers and I rode about 75 or 80 miles of the BRP today near the Va./NC. line. The Parkway is a very different experience when you ride it when the leaves are not on the trees. The things you can see without the cover of leaves are amazing. The mountains, deep valleys, rocks, farms, normally hidden houses and other sights are something to behold. The traffic was light but we saw vehicles from TN, CA, NY, and other places but little local traffic. We saw about a dozen motorcycles of all styles.

I live within about 60 miles of the Parkway and am able to ride it several times during the colder months and a sunny but chilly day like today is my favorite time to do it. If you ever have the opportunity, you should do it.

The weather has been rough on the pavement this winter and there were numerous potholes, There were also a lot of trees that had fallen across the road that had been left on the side after they were removed.
    I completely agree with you...pre/post-leaf riding is the best. I was on the BRP yesterday (rode from US 276...mile 411.9 to Rt 128-Mt. Mitchell...mile 355) and the day was spectacular...cool, clear, breezy...visibility for miles...50+??. The views from Mt. Mitchell were jaw dropping.

I was on Clingmans Dome about a week ago...same story.
    Last edited by bobframe; 05-04-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Heard yesterday the entire BRP is now open.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010