Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best bike to ride into the sunset?

Best bike to ride into the sunset?

I will be 65 on my next birthday. Fortunately I'm in good health overall and plan to ride until I fall off more than I stay on. I have ridden an 02' GS for the last 10 years and really love the bike, though most of my riding is two up and on the highway, not exactly what the bike was built for. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to ride many other BMW's. I have put some miles on 1200 RT as well as newer GS's, but never a K bike for instance. Is my GS the right bike to ride into the sunset or should I consider others as I grow older and less limber? I'm not sure I want to spend the money on a new 1600, but it is not out of the question.....nor is another brand. I'm curious as to how other aging riders have chosen the right bike. We do like to ride long distances, so comfort and carrying capacity are a consideration. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jenunn01 View Post
    I will be 65 on my next birthday. Fortunately I'm in good health overall and plan to ride until I fall off more than I stay on. I have ridden an 02' GS for the last 10 years and really love the bike, though most of my riding is two up and on the highway, not exactly what the bike was built for. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to ride many other BMW's. I have put some miles on 1200 RT as well as newer GS's, but never a K bike for instance. Is my GS the right bike to ride into the sunset or should I consider others as I grow older and less limber? I'm not sure I want to spend the money on a new 1600, but it is not out of the question.....nor is another brand. I'm curious as to how other aging riders have chosen the right bike. We do like to ride long distances, so comfort and carrying capacity are a consideration. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't think you'd go wrong with a R1200RT, plenty of power and comfort for 2 up all day long.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by jenunn01 View Post
    I will be 65 on my next birthday.
    A month and a half after my 69th birthday, I bought a 2013 R1200RT. I had been riding Harley touring bikes.

I needed a lighter weight bike. I couldn't believe how stable the RT was on the highway...much better handling. The bike is very comfortable. Twisting the throttle at any speed puts a big smile on my face.

So my recommendation is a R1200RT.
    Larry
    Midnight Blue 2013 BMW R1200RT
    2010 Harley Road Glide (gone after 61,964 miles)
    2001 Harley Electra Glide (gone after 138,048 miles)

I'm 63 just now, and traded my K1200RS for a lighter F700GS in November, 3013. I wanted something that was easier to move around at slow speed and my K bike didn't fill that need. I don't ride 2 up though, so I've found that the 700 is perfect of my current requirements. Of course,it's not plush like the r bikes, so if you not a minimalist, I doubt you'd be happy with the ride if going on a long trip. I've done a 500 & 1200 mile ride so far and after 500 mile days, I do miss some of the comfort of my k- bike....

Retired User
    I will be 69 in a couple of weeks, and I currently ride an '09 RT. If I were a youth of 65, I would surely go out and get that new water boxer RT. As it is, I often talk about "smaller and lighter" but I just can't give up my RT. What a bike! If you are riding distances two-up, seems the perfect compromise between small and underpowered on the one hand, and porky luxo-tourer on the other.
    Bill Mayer
    R1200RT

An R1200R may be what you are looking for. Lighter than the RT, same driveline and historically less prone to the problems that affect the GS and RT. The R can be a competent canyon carver, a good long distance tourer and does well on dirt roads with decent tires mounted. I sold my RT when I started riding Annie's R12R and have used it for all of the riding environments mentioned above since I officially stole it from her. Ride one, but bring your check book. Consider it with a Parabellum Scout Fairing mounted. I have one and like it a great deal.

Now I must be honest. I bought a new bike last summer and I too was thinking that it would be wise to go smaller and lighter. I still have my R12R and it is the bike of choice for going back to Alaska and riding the back roads of MT, but I was thinking F700GS or something similar. I bought a Yamaha FJR 1300. What can I say, I still enjoy a powerful motorcycle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

We just about do go for a sunset ride now... . Were only in our 50s but, you never know when your last sunset will be...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Own: '13 K1600GT & '95 K75
    Owned: R1200GSA, GS & K1300GT

You probably have a lot of years left!

My dad will be 91 in November and still rides his R1100RT. Planning to do St. Paul this summer together.

KEn
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Don't worry about how long you are going to ride it. Get the bike that feels the best to you and ride it into as many sunsets as you can. I'm past 70 and bought a new RT last year. I may not wear it out but it won't be for lack of trying.

R/Jim

I agree. Don't worry about anything until you feel a problem. Ride what suits you now, not what you think you'll need in 10 years. Most riders as they age and maybe lose muscle mass want something lighter and not as tall as a RT or a GS, but we are all different.

I'm 72 and have alternated between Three FJR's and three RT's over the last 20 years. Last Fall I returned to an RT for better wind protection, lees wind noise, less weight and center of gravity--just a more relaxing ride IMO. An RT will be my only bike from here on.

Best?

A 2004 Gray/Mandarin R1100SA of course!

My wife saw me checking out a new K1600 in a parking lot the other day, and asked if I was thinking about getting one...

She was happy to hear that I bought my last bike a few years ago, and it's a keeper.

Just turned 66, and hope to keep riding a few more years in search of that sunset!

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Best bike to ride into the sunset?

Can't do better than the comfort of an RT. However, maneuvering in and out of the garage is getting to be a PITA hardship. Couple that with having to take off all the tupperware when I service her I'm thinking about selling soon and getting something lighter... used. The 700-800's look nice but for the price I'd just get a KLR. My Sunset bike I hope will be an older Beemer like a /5 or early (1974) /6.

boy, there sure are lots of old farts here! The perfect bike in my humble opinion for geriatrics is a Ural sidecar rig. Here's why

it won't fall over, usually.
    it's slow so your age impaired reaction times won't be as big an issue
    it's not very good on the highway so you won't get lost too far from home
    everyone asks about it so you can jabber away for hours to complete strangers instead of being a danger out on the roads
    it needs more maintenance than normal bikes so you can hibernate in the garage listening to oldies and drinking beer
    grandkids and dogs will beg for rides
    non of this new fangled electronic stuff that thinks it"s smarter than you. Good old pushrods and air cooled boxer.
    it has a reverse gear for when you forget and park facing downhill
    It costs enough to blow a good chunk or your savings instead of leaving it to your ungrateful kids.
    After you get completely senile you can still ride as a monkey.

Perfect, eh?
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

70, busted up with new body parts, joints that ache, eyes are getting dim...............Hell with it..... bought a new GTL last winter and a scoot last summer. When I can't ride then anymore I'll sit in the garage and dream of days gone by. Beats a park bench feeding the birds.
    Jack Watson
    BMWMOA #125089
    2014 K1600GTL
    2013 C650GT