Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need guidance on Comm system...

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    Not sure how you had it set up, but the Sena works in full duplex just like a telephone conversation. There is no need to press an intercom button or to have "VOX" activate the mic for you. It's just on when you're connected to another one (be it your passenger or another rider). I haven't used the Sena with more than one other person, but it's been absolutely fantastic when I have. I use it daily for commuting to listen to music and answer phone calls. I can even send text messages by dictating to Siri with it.
    You can only listen to music when the intercom is off. Therefore, you must activate the intercom every time when you want to talk and deactivate it when you want to return to music. That is what the VOX is supposed to do automatically. But it doesn't do it for us on the SMH-10. It triggers on wind noise all the time.
    "Rumors of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated" - Capt. Picard.

Quote Originally Posted by picard View Post
    You can only listen to music when the intercom is off. Therefore, you must activate the intercom every time when you want to talk and deactivate it when you want to return to music. That is what the VOX is supposed to do automatically. But it doesn't do it for us on the SMH-10. It triggers on wind noise all the time.
    The Sena VOX works fine with my Schuberth C3 (adhesive mount mike) and it was fine on my older C2, as long as I remembered to tuck the boom inside before closing the chin bar. When my wife is riding passenger, the VOX activates if she turns/shifts so as to catch the wind directly on the side of her helmet (don't remember brand). The VOX triggers on some predetermined noise volume level. It does not distinguish between wind and voice - I don't know how it could work otherwise. Maybe they could make the activation level adjustable. Or you could move the mike to a quieter position.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I have the smh10 in one set of helmets and the smh5-fm just installed in another set. I really like the 5 with the fm feature. Both are really easy to use, especially compared to the scala rider I had which was junk by comparison.
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    The Sena VOX works fine with my Schuberth C3 (adhesive mount mike) and it was fine on my older C2, as long as I remembered to tuck the boom inside before closing the chin bar. When my wife is riding passenger, the VOX activates if she turns/shifts so as to catch the wind directly on the side of her helmet (don't remember brand). The VOX triggers on some predetermined noise volume level. It does not distinguish between wind and voice - I don't know how it could work otherwise. Maybe they could make the activation level adjustable. Or you could move the mike to a quieter position.
    I have tried moving the mic, closing vents on the helmet, etc, to no avail.

There are sophisticated algorithms to distinguish wind from speech. While that is apparently not easy, both Baehr and J&M have mastered it. I have many years of experience with both these systems. The VOX was adjustable at both of these systems and almost never triggered accidentally after being set up once.

The Sena VOX is far inferior, and its sensitivity isn't adjustable. Whether it's electronics or software I don't know I just know it is not even close in performance to the wired systems mentioned.
    "Rumors of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated" - Capt. Picard.

further info

Lot's of conversation on the SENA but how about the BMW Communicator? Good? or? I recently purchased one along with a new Shuberth C3 and so I haven't yet connected to anyone but expect a rider soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pjmaszczak View Post
    Lot's of conversation on the SENA but how about the BMW Communicator? Good? or? I recently purchased one along with a new Shuberth C3 and so I haven't yet connected to anyone but expect a rider soon.
    My pillion (wife) and I have them and love 'em with our K1600. I just wish that bike to bike options were included in that comm system/bike audio system combo.
    Stephen
    2013 K1600GTL (Mineral Silver)
    Los Angeles, CA
    USMC Veteran

That's why you should of never considered the Sena brand. Those are low end compared to the Scala equipment. Yes, it's not just (3) buttons, but your options are immense to include 1+ mile of range (advertised as 2mi i think). I have ran many sets of Sena, and Scala. Scala is hands down the winner. They're more expensive, but you get what you pay for!

Quote Originally Posted by rmstevens98668 View Post
    The majority in my group are using G9s or G9X. They connect well up to eight bikes and they connect with the Schuberth in helmet systems as well. No problems.
    The Scala 9 has tons of options (I just finished a 2,400 mile ride with mine), works great with my iPhone, GPS, radio and com. Interestingly, the FM radio on the Scala was able to pull in signals when my on-bike radio found nothing.

I really like the fact that Scala provides free online software updates, lots of support and more accessories than you can imagine.
    2013 R1200RT
    AMA Life Member
    Iron Butt Assn #39345
    AZ Beemers Touring Assn

I loved being hard wired and having a CB radio. I am going with the setup from J&M that fits both the K1600 GTL and my soon to be ready R1200RT.

I will have satellite radio, AM?FM,as well as IPod on board. Most of the riders I associate with, use CB for communications. It always works up to 3/4 of a mile, with no having to synch with other units. Also, if you want passenger intercom, you can also purchase that equipment from J&M.