Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Organizing interior of top box

Organizing interior of top box

Has anyone spent any time or money or both designing a good system to organize the contents of the top box on an RT? For around town rides I'd like to have some way to put things in compartments so that the entire contents don't just slide around. I usually carry some cleaning wipes, cables and maps. I've looked for ideas but the most I've seen is custom carpet jobs. Pictures and ideas are welcome

Thanks
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT

Mary, although I don't have an RT, I do run a top case sometimes. I like to use various zip-lock bags and nylon stuff sacks for things. The clear zip-lock bags are great because there is no guessing about what is in them. The "freezer" weight ones seem to hold up fairly well. I find both the quart and the gallon size to be useful. They made a half gallon size that is PERFECT for a pair of gloves but I can't find them for sale anywhere anymore.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

Organize?

what's that???

Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

made my on

Mary,
    What I did a couple of RT's ago was make my own spacers. First out of cardboard for a pattern then plywood. PM me if your handy and interested in talking you through making your own.
    Jack Watson
    BMWMOA #125089
    2014 K1600GTL
    2013 C650GT

For my top case organization, I went to Walmart and purchased a clear plastic box (no lid), maybe 12" X 6" in size. In it go the maps. Then, in a one gallon plastic bag, go all the small pieces/parts and those also go in the box. Between the box and the wall of the case goes a balaclava, kerchiefs, water bottle, sunscreen, glasses case, hard candies (also in a small plastic bag), ear plugs (in a ziplock sandwich bag) and duct tape.

Box is always organized, neat and never messy. Jackets, gloves, and everything else go into the side cases.

Works like a charm. I can see everything, and nothing is ever out of place.
    -Kevin
    2005 R1200GS

Zip locks for small stuff or oil btl.,etc.. Canvas bags for tools,spare parts,lt. bulbs in bubble wrap then cardboard. Military surplus crew bags are great for bag liners. Made heavier than purpose built liners & much less expensive. I see purpose in bagging items but not in creating loop holders and other such contrivances for contents. Cable was mentioned which is best circled in bottom of top case with an old sock-toe section over the lock.
    Much mentioned in post #5, I place in tank bag, not top case.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I fitted a bungee net in the lid of the box by pop riveting plastic loops like linked below around the inside edge. I keep my rain gear and maps etc. tucked in the top.

http://www.hollandcomputers.com/stor...FZJj7AodGCIAEQ
    Peter, 2010 Polar Metallic R1200RT, 2008 R1200GS

I chose to line my top box with styrofoam...

Six pack holder keeps the bottles safe, plastic bags for the ice and food.
    Last edited by rdalland; 05-15-2014 at 12:04 PM.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

In my tank bag I use bags made by Eagle Creek to keep things organized. You can do the same for a top box.

Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I carry the bulk of my stuff in my side cases (heavy stuff) for stability. My top case usually just holds extra gloves (along the sides), service manual (flat, on the bottom), jacket liner and heated vest, assorted maps in a map pouch, balaclava and a hat.
    Good judgment comes from experience, but experience often comes from bad judgment.

BruceRT
    I am also looking for ideas to put organizers in my 28 liter top case. I am looking at gluing Velcro or that nylon locking strips to the underside of the lid to fasten little bags. I already added a power strip with 3 "cigarette lighter" outlets and 2 USB outlets. I like to charge my phone when I ride and my headset when I'm parked. I'll post photos after I figure out the rest of the plan.
    Bruce
    2005 R1200RT (It's new to me!)
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you are not continuously learning, you are slowly getting bored.

Top case picture

Hi Bruce, I'd love to see a picture of what you make. I've gotten a couple of good ideas from the posts and plan to start working on it myself. I'll post pictures when I'm done.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT

When we travel our two small laptops (in a single case) take up 2/3 of my top case. Voni refuses to have a topcase. The other 1/3 is used for gloves, sunglasses, cell phone, and other small assorted items. To keep from needing to arrange and rearrange this stuff every time I took the computers out, I put simple dividers in the top case - heavy corrugated cardboard and duct tape. Now there is a compartment for the computers and another two for the loose small stuff.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Soft bag

I use the top box for trips and remove it for local travel. I replace it with the BMW soft bag which is big enough for my notebook and all kinds of small stuff.

Klein tools make canvas bags which zip closed- in various sizes. The eagle Creek bags that someone posted pix of are along the same idea. Compartmentalize and isolate things into organized sets. If you had to, you could also put things (bags as described above?) into small tupperware containers- like say if water is an issue?
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World