Thread: R1100RT aftermarket windshields

R1100RT aftermarket windshields

I am looking to reduce wind noise and turbulence on my R1100RT. I am 5' 10" and am looking at the Cee Bailey Model #2 Euro cut +2.5". Has anyone had an aftermarket shield and what are your opinions.

Thanks

Jerry

Bmuused
    Hi Jerry,

I have a Cee Bailey on my Rt1100. The previous owner installed it so I don't know what model it is. I like it, but since it came with the bike, I don't have anything to compare it to.
    Good judgment comes from experience, but experience often comes from bad judgment.

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    I also have the Cee Bailey on mine, but it was likewise on it when I bought the bike so I don't know the specifics of the height, etc. I did not receive the OEM windshield in the purchase.

My previous BMW experience was with 90's era K bikes and an older airhead, so the view factors were not a distraction. Personally, I don't care for the distortion in the view where the top of the Cee Bailey shield curves up. And because of that, and given the height of the shield + my height and all things considered, my best views are with it fully down, or fully up.

From the standpoint of protection from the wind, and buffeting or noise I have no complaints. The shield is plenty big (protection), and plenty quiet and smooth.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Jerry,
    I'm 6' 2" and started with a + 2.5 and now have a +4.5" My riding buddy is your size and he put the +2.5"on his '04 and loves it!
    The euro cut is nice! You can adjust the right amount of air flow and keep you eyes on the road over the shield.

'02 R1150RT

Jerry, I also have the Cee Bailey with the Euro top 2.5". I'm 5'9" and it's perfect for me. It was easy to install on my 1100rt. Jerry

Thank you

Thanks for all of the input. I just ordered the Cee Bailey.

Thanks again,

Jerry

RK Ryder
    Jerry, my R1100RT came with the stock windshield. Going to the the Johnson City Rally in '09, I frequently had to get off the bike because the buffeting was causing me to nod off. It seemed to be a long ride with all the wake up stops.

Replaced it with a Cee Bailey and wow, what a difference. Like night and day. Rode with it for about a year. Don't know which model it is. Found a Ztechnic on the Flea Market and gave it a try. It was even quieter than the Cee Bailey. The ZT hasn't come off the bike.

I am now 5'7.5" (used to be 9.5') and both windshields are a massive improvement over stock. The seller of the Ztechnic windshield threw in a Cee Baily as well, so I actually have two Cee Bailey's in stock.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

R1150RT-P with Aeroflow

FWIW when I got my 2004 R1150 RT-P, I purchased a standard size Aeroflow windshield. It is a considerable improvement over the stock windshield. I am 5' 8" and have the windshield raised just enough that I can look over the top edge.

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    This morning I measured my Cee Bailey's (Euro cut) and from the top edge to bottom at the vent/recess it is 18.5 inches. Add 2.0 inches if measuring at the longest line, i.e., to the right or left of the center line vent.

I suppose that in terms of height that makes it an inch for inch replacement for the stock unit?

Back to the matter of protection, I am fully satisfied with the wind protection and the complete lack of buffeting is enjoyed a if godsend. But I am still getting used to the view...
    Last edited by basketcase; 04-13-2014 at 02:58 AM.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

About your height and I put on the +2.5 and love it. Just off highest on the highway and down a bit for everything else. Quiet and smooth air flow

I picked up a Cee Bailey shield for my 04' RT and switched it to my 97' RT. Best farkle purchase to date!

I'm 6'2" and went with the Euro Screen in +4.5". What a great shield. I do run the stock shield in the summer to get more wind to hit me, but that is my preference.

I have ridden with many folks who have also enjoyed their Ztechnik and Aeroflow shields for what it's worth. It'll be money well spent.
    "It's not the speed of the ride that scares me....it's how quick I stop!"

97' R 1100 RT "Ruby II"
    13' R 1200 GSA Triple Black