Thread: Reading an oil filter

Reading an oil filter

Had the oil filter laying around from last years break in, stripped it and had a look see. Only I forgot what to , or what not to see. As usual a search doesn't help. What I found was a very few tiny pieces of non magnetic metal looking like aluminum. And some magnetic tiny particles. What should it look like? I put the magnet to a piece of main bearing and it was magnetic, but so is the iron cylinder liner. So, I suspect this material is probably seen after a ring job?

Snowbum has a section in the upper third of this page regarding reading a filter:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Oil.htm
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanx, Kurt, once again, don't know why I don't think of snobum. Gonna crank it up soon, did some cycling yesterday and the old inner ear seems good to go. Snow is almost entirely gone. Streets are strewn with bad patches and gravel. I hear he odd bike in the distance, gives me the go for it attitude.

Fwiw - blackstone labs will do an analysis of your old oil for $23 and tell you in ppm what metals are present. Very useful for detecting bearing failure, etc. they will also compare your sample/engine to all the data in their database for that engine. Wouldn't do it all the time but interesting info. (Used it all the time for my diesels)

Ymmv

Thanx for the heads up, guess I'll twist it for this summer, see how it goes. Check it at the next oil change. Got another complete short block that I might get ready for a drop in if needed. There's always another winter coming down the pike. Airheads are fun that way. No computers to puzzle over. Am getting antsy, however, to role the R90 down the drive and gas it.

+ 1 on blackstone, i use them on my lycoming break ins. 10hrs around the peepatch and then a sample goes out to them. great folks. they give you a print out of everything thats in the oil.
    The pursuit of reality at all cost.