Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BMW R-bikes on unimproved roads

Quote Originally Posted by MG McAnick View Post
    ........all of the R-bikes I've ridden on dirt have exhibited this same propensity to be squirrely on anything but pavement. .....
    Good thing they never tried to use them in a off road race like the Paris to Dakar.

Your assessment is simply not true.... in my opinion. However, one man's squirrely is another woman's solid and steady.....
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I did the apache trail once with my RT, never again. I thought the windscreen and topcase were going to rattle off the bike. Best to use the right tool for the job. The RT is a fine road machine. If I really need to do dirt, a GS would be better.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Wasn't Lostrider posting his many offroad adventures on his R12R a few years back?
    He takes his R where some would not venture on a dedicated dirt bike.

I learned to ride on oyster shell roads on Galveston island, so anything not sharp on the edges is kind of fun.I have found myself on some rocky ways on fairing heavy bikes...still here to talk about it and no damaged bits. Loose is fast

My bro in law had a shortcut in CO a few years back...he was on his R12R...me on a K12S...it got loose and we kept going...I later told him I was on a S...not a GS still had fun

Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Wasn't Lostrider posting his many offroad adventures on his R12R a few years back?
    He takes his R where some would not venture on a dedicated dirt bike.

I learned to ride on oyster shell roads on Galveston island, so anything not sharp on the edges is kind of fun.I have found myself on some rocky ways on fairing heavy bikes...still here to talk about it and no damaged bits. Loose is fast

My bro in law had a shortcut in CO a few years back...he was on his R12R...me on a K12S...it got loose and we kept going...I later told him I was on a S...not a GS still had fun

He's on a R nineT these days and his lady Nancy is riding his old R12R.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Left Coast Rider
    I have had several BMWs over the last 40 years, and all of the R-bikes I've ridden on dirt have exhibited this same propensity to be squirrely on anything but pavement.
    Loosen your grip on the bars and understand that a little movement isn't a prelude to landing on your head. What you might do is find a buddy who has a dirt bike and practice on that for awhile. It all translates over to the bigger bike.

Then you can be like Henzilla and enter your K12S in the Dakar.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Loosen your grip on the bars and understand that a little movement isn't a prelude to landing on your head. What you might do is find a buddy who has a dirt bike and practice on that for awhile. It all translates over to the bigger bike.
    My first bike was a so-called dirt bike, a nearly new 175cc Honda. But that was over 40 years ago. My last stint on a dirt bike was probably 34 years ago. It was borrowed from a friend and ridden on a well maintained off road track near my home. Fun, and not particularly dangerous.

My contention is that the same torque that we can feel when we blip the throttle at a stand still is what causes the bike to feel squirrelly on soft roads. I don't want to put knobby tires on my highway bikes. That might help with practice, but I think I'd rather just stay off of gravel.
    Chuck

If you're not living on the edge, you're probably taking up too much space.

RK Ryder
    I do not feel comfortable riding deep gravel on my R1100RT. This is not the case with my K100RT. I can only speculate that the taller and thinner front tire might be the difference in my confidence level when riding the two bikes on gravel roads.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Left Coast Rider
    My contention is that the same torque that we can feel when we blip the throttle at a stand still is what causes the bike to feel squirrelly on soft roads.
    As I believe has been mentioned, those who ride GS's don't feel this "squirellyness" so I think that is not likely the issue. I've been on the dirt with my "S" and, while I didn't particularly enjoy it, I didn't feel the bike behaving badly.

BMW R-bikes on unimproved roads

I was just doing a head-north-and-get-yourself-lost ride up into CT. yesterday on my Ural. At any particular moment if I saw an interesting road I'd stop, turnaround and take it. Ended up finding some pretty interesting trails and forgotten abandoned dwellings. One old mine road deteriorated to miles of gravel, lot's of fun. It wouldn't have been on the rt. Tires (PR3's) not designed for this abuse and the whole bike is just too top heavy and poorly designed for this type of riding. And turning it around... it's a big pig.
    I'd take my rt on a dirt road for a short distance if I had to get someplace like a camp site. But it's a road bike. Basically why folks don't take their Prius's on Mustang's to ride at Moab. Why would you?