Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1987 K75S, tight valve.

Kawasaki and Yamaha use the same shims, mostly, however,

My BMW dealer is also the only Yamaha dealer and since I don't actually have a Yamaha, they wouldn't reverse part look-up, at all. I even gave them the part number.

The Kawasaki dealer said he would look for it and probably had some inventory but strongly suggested that their shims were just slightly smaller in diameter enough that I might not be a happy camper. He reasoned that they have sold them for Yamaha guys that complained they "stuck" in the bucket causing, well, bad things.

Facing the shim off, drinking beer and crying with my buddies that the Jets didn't come close to being play-off hopefuls was a good alternative. If I was a Leafs fan, all I can say is with all the beer in the city and successful experimenting with a shim, I'd still be drinking and crying.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    Shims SHOULD be $7.20 NEW from the dealer. This dealer won't sell his "service" inventory and shims are not considered routine stock items and emergency supply only. The have an "engine down" policy for parts like this. I could have packed the bike up to them, completely assembled, determine the valve was tight and repaired it.

Ready for this?

The shim, special order, "engine down rush", ten days to supply, $52.00.

The quote on repair, not to mention I have the bike in about two hundred pieces still and would have to trailer it as it needs to be safetied for licensing, just their quote, parts and labor, $680.00. They might be able to get to it in June if I brought it in right away.

I am not exaggerating. They are the only dealer within an 800 mile radius. The closest other dealer to me is in Minneapolis or Saskatoon and the Saskatoon dealer is tiny.

Where possible, I use the 'Net dealers.

This dealer knows he is the only game in town.
    Good grief. I would complain to BMW that they will not stock shims for sale. That is not providing service. They are clearly trying to force you bring in your bike. How does buying mail order from Max BWM work from Canada? You can order a few of the common sizes to keep handy.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

I use Max, A&S and Capital is the best, Tommy is a pretty good dude.

I use them all, I really don't have a particular loyalty, I like Tommy though, he takes some time for me to chat. The problem, as I see it, the USA still wants to do business with us but Canada, we are still taking our pound of flesh out of YOU because Bush snubbed us at 911.

I send all my stuff to a wonderful little gig in the US and drive down, grab it, and get FUTRE when I cross into Canada.

For a bit of perspective, you, my neighbours, are 240 Million strong(?) and we are just about 10% of that. Do you really think BMW Mottarad Canada gives a crap about me?

It would cost me $500.00 to get a recall notification on any BMW motorcycle I buy second hand. That's from the dealer. I need all the recalls to be completed to date in Canada before I can take it to be Safetied.

I love my country, I love my country, I love my country, why did my Dad move to the US again?
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

First, good on ya for the workaround! "Necessity is the mother of invention", but sometimes necessity is just a mother... keep an eye on that particular valve's clearance in the future...

Second - Wow, that dealer is really screwing you (and probably all your riding neighbors), to diplomatically understate it. He won't look up a Yamaha part because you don't own a Yamaha? (There probably is no official cross-reference between brands.) That's not just narrow-minded, it's downright rude (aside from his choice to not make a sale). $500 just to look up recalls? I thought that was a FREE thing; all they do is put your VIN into their computer (or maybe it's because I patronize a few specific dealers down here, yes it's nice to have a choice). You might also be able to check your bike in the National Highway Safety Administration website, http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/ Or do they want $500 to verify that any recalls have actually been fixed? Also out of line.

More than one BMW dealer has been shut down, or at least been fined, after corporate investigation. Certainly you don't want to lose a viable parts source, but BMW North America Corporate (New Jersey) should be made aware of this guy. And I'm fairly sure that even Yamaha Corporate (near here, in Buena Park CA) would like to know that one of their dealers refuses to not only sell Yamaha parts, but won't help out a fellow rider. There are several multi-brand dealers around here; if you pull in with something they don't sell, they still usually don't defecate in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by tinytrains View Post
    Good grief. I would complain to BMW that they will not stock shims for sale. That is not providing service. They are clearly trying to force you bring in your bike. How does buying mail order from Max BWM work from Canada? You can order a few of the common sizes to keep handy.
    good grief is right. That dealer not stocking shims for a bike that has been out of production for nearly 20 years is just reedickulous. of course, Honkawsuzimaha would not have waited nearly that long to clear their shelves of NOS parts. smh.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

3 Red Bricks
    Biker,

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post

Ready for this?

The shim, special order, "engine down rush", ten days to supply, $52.00.

This dealer knows he is the only game in town.
    The outrageous part is not that he doesn't stock it. It's that he wants to charge $52 for a part that LISTS for $6.19!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I mean no disrepect, but you are talking from an American point of view.

The reality on Canada is we are different, all the way from warranty to parts inventories. A dealer is not required to sell anything for any vehicle older than ten years here nor is he obligated to fix it.

It doesn't matter if we are talking four wheels or two, every manufacturer sets up their networks to be autonomous to the rest of the planet.

The best example I can give you are BMW Motorcycles. Every bike imported into the US is automatically compliant in Canada. Bikes imported just for Canada are not necessarily compliant in the US. A very specific example are the turn signal lenses. They are DIN approved, acceptable here, but do not have DOT approvals.

I am painting with broad brush with that example.

BMW Motorad Canada has nothing to do with it's US counterpart and nothing to do with the automobiles. The same applies with Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and Harley Davidson. The only manufacturer that crosses borders is Suzuki.

For a broader stroke to my comments, the US has the "Right to Repair Act" (I think that is what it's called there) and we don't have anything similar. In short, manufacturers aren't obligated to share any information about what they build, right down to the type of oil used. It's dealer proprietary.

We are bigger and we are on top but sometimes I think we are that neighbour that sits on his front lawn picking his nose with his fly undone yelling, "Hey, you be a Hoser, Eh."

OK, but since you know or can calculate what size shim you want why not call a U.S. dealership and have them send one up to you?

Side Note: Back in 1986 I bought the factory/dealer box of shims plus the tools for $119. Still have the same number of shims - 50 or so I'm guessing - just a few different sizes since I've swapped several.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

For sure there are alternatives for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    OK, but since you know or can calculate what size shim you want why not call a U.S. dealership and have them send one up to you?

Side Note: Back in 1986 I bought the factory/dealer box of shims plus the tools for $119. Still have the same number of shims - 50 or so I'm guessing - just a few different sizes since I've swapped several.
    We got way off track on this one and for sure, I use the US side as much as possible. The only trouble I have is on the Canadian side. The issue of "sending it in the mail" is, hang on to this story; If I buy it from the any of the good guys in the Minneapolis area, it will go to Halifax to be sorted to me. In fact, If I order it from my favorite dealer in Montreal, it will go to Halifax to be sorted.

What I do is I have it sent to a little, very quaint place with super nice people in Pembina, ND. It's an hour drive/ride one way, cross the US, ten more minutes, drive back to the Canadian Border.

Then, at the border, declare everything and if I need to, declare the stink from my truck is because I might be a bit "gassy". Thirty minutes getting back into my own country at a very minimum. That's still faster and cheaper than having something mailed to me from the US.

Back to the original topic for a second, thank you all for making me feel less paranoid.

Ah! Pembina, Emerson. Memories from my youth! I was raised in Grand Forks.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

NO WAY......Really, We would come down and show yooze how to play HOCKEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Ah! Pembina, Emerson. Memories from my youth! I was raised in Grand Forks.
    I love GF, try to get there about every two months or so. People are so cool, almost Canadian like.

We went down in 1998 and dropped a bunch of machines for the flood fight. Tough folks and always full of laughter and good will, even while the buildings were burning, almost Canadian like.

They have a stripper bar now............................................... ..

Alternative to BMW valve shim

Just checked and adjusted the valves on my 1990 K75rt.I used a valve shim from a Kawasaki KLR 650 on intake side,it is identical to the BMW shim.The shims are 27mm and worked great.I own both of these models of motorcycles and was amazed that the parts would interchange.I used the Polepenhollow BMW K valve shim tool from Kenneth Lively to remove the shim from the bucket.BTW my KLR is a 1999.
    Mark

1971 R75/5,1990 K75RT,1994 K75,1999 KLR