Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1998 R1100RT-"oil" leaking on my rear wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    So to follow up...I removed the FD today, no problems, and sure enough, the seal in the FD is weeping. No problem, just get to it when I can. Re-assembly was moderately frustrating . Trying to slide the splines together of the drive shaft and the u-joint was irritating. I came up with this solution. I used a rag, made into a 'bed' for the drive shaft to lay on, to lift it up and into position to receive the u-joint, and left a bit of it sticking out of the swing arm. I put two wheel bolts into the hub to use as handles so I was able to rotate the hub/u-joint while pushing the FD forward against the drive shaft, until it meshed and then slid on. Then pulled the rag out of the swing arm.

Curious as to others do this job with only 2 hands!
    You are right on track. It also helps how you hold you tongue.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    So to follow up...I removed the FD today, no problems, and sure enough, the seal in the FD is weeping. No problem, just get to it when I can. Re-assembly was moderately frustrating . Trying to slide the splines together of the drive shaft and the u-joint was irritating. I came up with this solution. I used a rag, made into a 'bed' for the drive shaft to lay on, to lift it up and into position to receive the u-joint, and left a bit of it sticking out of the swing arm. I put two wheel bolts into the hub to use as handles so I was able to rotate the hub/u-joint while pushing the FD forward against the drive shaft, until it meshed and then slid on. Then pulled the rag out of the swing arm.

Curious as to others do this job with only 2 hands!
    The rag is the recommended way

Did you take the trouble to phase the joints?

On my weeping final drive, a steady diet of non syn or 75W90 of Phillips brand seems to have reduced the weep to a small value.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    Did you take the trouble to phase the joints?

Rod
    I keep my phasers on 'stun'! But no, after I buttoned everything up, I remembered some folks phase the joints, but I said 'Meh' and left it. Rode it today and things are hunky dory once agai!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Summer in Lakes Region of NH and winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
    Sure it's hunky-dory now! I never used one of these driveshafts on a BMW out of phase but I did on my first car a 1960 Valiant. I loved that 3 on the floor and 225 slant six. It got a clutch job (kids and clutches!) and the friend that buttoned it up, put the drive shaft "out of phase". I had a bit of a buzz on the shifter but it seemed hunky dory. It threw the driveshaft in 900 miles. Threw is not a euphemism for what happened- its what happened. Smarter BMW folks will chime in and probably tell you to forgetaboutit. I line up the end webs when the splines go on ANY shaft that does not have CV joints. Just saying. Best to you.
    2002 F650GS, 1998 R1100R 75th anniversary edition, 1983 R80RT (just sold), 1959 R60 (in restoration), Honda CT90
    If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.

Driveshaft phasing can be a really big deal, trust me on this.

In a driveshaft system that is solid, slip yoke somewhere in the system, hangers maybe as well, out of phase will create a torsional vibration that I have seen twist shafts, break u-joints and I even saw one break the crankshaft on a 16L engine.

Our bikes have that rubber thing in the shaft, some call it a damper but it is really a torsional vibration damper.

I bought a new shaft, albeit for a newer Brick, the shaft was out of phase. The dealer in Montreal said they were all like that. Them I trust. My 97 R1100RT driveshaft has been out of phase since I bought it and I was expecting something to happen, similar to the Valiant but, 55,000 miles later, nothing has blown up, yet.

I don't think these shafts are terribly sensitive to u-joint phasing.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Spill chuck?
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

gots my spill chuck in my hand,

Why am I not surprised. GFY.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."