Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 139

Thread: The GS Giant 2014 - It's kind of a BIG deal!

  1. #46
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    WELL, I guess I'm not clear on issuing Cards for the game at hand??? Reading above, I see some are earning playing cards for showing up at camps every night, en route. Is my Medora, ND a Card gathering spot??? I be glad passing them out, if so. I may have missed the Card Game rules and earning them, sorry if so... Enlighten me. Are the "Host"of each incoming group responsible for issuing cards?
    I will send you cards.

    Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules! We'll make things up as we go along.

    What we need are PRIZES for winning card hands. Has everyone been hitting up potential sponsors on their Facebook pages?

  2. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    68

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    There are going to be two rides coming from the south.

    One (the one in the colorful official illustration) will start on with a meetup on Sunday evening, July 20, at the Pikes Peak Park in Iowa. (Turns out that IA state parks are better and much cheaper) Riders will leave Monday morning and follow most of the Tran Wisconsin Adventure Trail ( ). This will be a typical GS Gypsy Tour ride... all good for riders of varying skill levels.

    The other is going to be "Clay's Way"... (and we all know how official Clay is!) ... a bit tougher ride that takes in a few OHV areas, and while not stupid hard, this ride is not recommended for beginning riders.

    Both rides will end up on Tuesday, July 22 at the St. Croix Haven Campground.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Ian, I reckon I understand now. It's the dreaded Overhead Valve areas that make it special...

    See you at Pikes Peak I guess... in Colorado, right?

  3. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9

    IA Ride

    Not to be to dense of a Noob - I've registered as a GS Giant, and I've friended the webpage... I'm here in the western burbs of Chicago, and hope to join the Giants on the TWAT ride North. How, do I make that happen? I see the info about the campground, but I'm hesitant to just show up at the IA Park. Also, last year the sand in the UP was quite a challenge for me. Will this ride encounter much of the Northern part of the TWAT with the sand?

    Thanks for your help.

  4. #49
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,527

    I've tried being all organized and stuff, but...

    ...it was like herding kittens. I usually post more info earlier, but the day job has gotten in the way.

    We'll be sending e-mails soon to everyone who's registered and putting info up here for those who haven't, and then everyone can make their own plans.

    If you make a reservation at Pikes Peak Park, or even if you just show up, you will definitely meet some new friends to ride with.

    The route to the party at the end of the ride avoids the sand at the north end of the TWAT but there will probably be Sandy sections along the way. Don't worry, you won't break your bike and you'll have friends to help you pick it up! Bring your GPS and ride around the parts that are over your head.

    Don't worry, you'll have a great time.

  5. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    335
    ....and clarify again; will it be 2 nites at St Croix Haven Camp....arriving MOA on Thur? Or the Tusday afternoon arrival...ride trails Wed morning then off to St Paul Fairgrounds. ALL previous posts on days/dates for the grand "meet-up" don't seem to tell the story.
    Hoping to register when I know more.

    "travel'n" john

  6. #51
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,527
    Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    ....and clarify again; will it be 2 nites at St Croix Haven Camp....arriving MOA on Thur? Or the Tusday afternoon arrival...ride trails Wed morning then off to St Paul Fairgrounds. ALL previous posts on days/dates for the grand "meet-up" don't seem to tell the story.
    Hoping to register when I know more.

    "travel'n" john
    Nope, one night.

    From the very first post in this thread:

    Each ride starts with a meetup on Sunday, July 20th, with all rides coming together on Tuesday, July 22 in the St. Croix State Forest northeast of the Rally. We'll party that night and pound ground the next day, riding on excellent adventure roads down to the rally.

    This means: from wherever you start, you end on Tuesday night at the St. Croix Haven campground, which is only about 2 hours-ish from the rally (via the fast way). On Wednesday, you could spend most of the day riding the dual sport roads in the area and then head over to the rally and check in on Wednesday evening.

    Ian

  7. #52
    Polarbear Polarbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clovis,CA
    Posts
    4,214

    The "WEST is BEST" is represented, FYI:)

    Medora, North Dakota is NO.5 GSGiants gathering, JULY20. Medora has a wonderful website, featuring all its glory and area hot spots. Their campground, Medora Campground also is represented on the website, if you have a hankering to look see. IF ya find yourself coming from my direction(WEST), just come on in, the party starts Sunday afternoon, July20.... I will be there by mid afternoon and look forward to meeting up, sharing some tales of the road and just being a GSGiant. Two days riding to St.Croix Haven GSGiant Base Camp for us. Monday evening will be most probable, Buffalo SP in Minnesota, just East of Fargo, OR Fort Ransom SP SE of Fargo, still in ND. Total miles, Medora to St.Croix area is roughly 575miles total. Two easy days of explore/adventure time. SEE Yall. "Polarbear"

  8. #53
    Polarbear Polarbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clovis,CA
    Posts
    4,214

    Medora ND gathering;

    Entertainment? Apparently the town of MEDORA, ND puts on a nightly outdoor MUSICAL featuring the life and times of "Theodore Roosevelt", who made his mark in this region of the Badlands 100 years ago. 7:30 every night they do this show. Need a different break from the road, take this in, sounds cool. Its very Western atmosphere and "gunfights in the streets"nearby are also acted out, reminding us of what once was, the VERY WILD WEST! Theodore Roosevelt National Park is less than a mile from our campground and wildlife is AWESOME there, not to mention the scenery. The Badlands are mostly associated with South Dakota, but the Badlands indeed stretch into N.Dakota and this is indeed Badlands North wing. ALL this is on the "Little Missouri River", a National Scenic River. I be there on my GSA1200, camping and smiling and enjoying GSGiant life. Happy Trails ALL.

  9. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2

    sault ste marie

    I will be going to the rally from NYC, and would have done the trek to St Paul alone and by pavement .. which after reading this thread my plan seems utterly boring.

    My original plan would have passed sault ste marie and I was wondering if there is a group I can join from here? I have not been on gravel on ages, so I might be a bit rusty.

  10. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpster View Post
    Thanks for the info and will we be getting more info as the date becomes closer? Such as the a meeting starting place in International Falls. Do we start from International Falls on the 20th or just meet there then? Anything else you can think of would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Hi terpster,I will be doing the international falls run, I notice that you are from Winnipeg and I live SE of you in Steinbach.How do you fancy tagging up and riding down together?

  11. #56
    Terpster Terpster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    31

    GS Ride

    Quote Originally Posted by TELBOY View Post
    Hi terpster,I will be doing the international falls run, I notice that you are from Winnipeg and I live SE of you in Steinbach.How do you fancy tagging up and riding down together?
    That sounds great. Have you done this kind of ride before? I should also warn you that my job changes on short notice and I may have to cancel, so if you can live with that I would be glad to ride with you.
    Terpster

  12. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpster View Post
    That sounds great. Have you done this kind of ride before? I should also warn you that my job changes on short notice and I may have to cancel, so if you can live with that I would be glad to ride with you.
    I went on last years GS Giant ride to Salem and had a fantastic time,the other fellas were really friendly, great fun to be around and truly a nice bunch of blokes.
    Everybody has bigger commitments and work is one of them,I had the rug pulled from beneath me this week due to work,I was going to meet up with a couple of pals from England and ride to BC and had to cancell at the 11th hour,so yes,Ican live with that.
    if you want to give me a call on 326 4003 home we can sort a route out and departure time and,if you want,go for a ride out around Manitoba.Ask for Terry.

  13. #58
    Terpster Terpster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by TELBOY View Post
    I went on last years GS Giant ride to Salem and had a fantastic time,the other fellas were really friendly, great fun to be around and truly a nice bunch of blokes.
    Everybody has bigger commitments and work is one of them,I had the rug pulled from beneath me this week due to work,I was going to meet up with a couple of pals from England and ride to BC and had to cancell at the 11th hour,so yes,Ican live with that.
    if you want to give me a call on 326 4003 home we can sort a route out and departure time and,if you want,go for a ride out around Manitoba.Ask for Terry.
    I will give you a call probably after the long weekend as I am busy right now. Maybe we can meet for coffee sometime and get to know each other and then make some plans.
    Terpster

  14. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpster View Post
    I will give you a call probably after the long weekend as I am busy right now. Maybe we can meet for coffee sometime and get to know each other and then make some plans.
    Bloodyhell,you could of worded that a bit better,this is a motorcycle forum not a dating agency,if my Mrs sees that she'll let me tyres down.))

    Righto then, call when your'e ready.

  15. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by brinkja View Post
    I will be going to the rally from NYC, and would have done the trek to St Paul alone and by pavement .. which after reading this thread my plan seems utterly boring.

    My original plan would have passed sault ste marie and I was wondering if there is a group I can join from here? I have not been on gravel on ages, so I might be a bit rusty.
    brinkja, I live by Albany, NY so chances you might be passing by me to head up North. I will take two days taking the scenic was to Sault Ste Marie to meet the Giants, if you want to join me, you are welcome to it
    Neil

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •