Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to find and avoid HOG rallies?

Once made the mistake of diverting through Yellowstone on our way home and it was the week before Sturgis. Legions of RVs pulling trailers with HDs and HD clones in every camp ground. In the morning they would swarm into groups of 20-50 bikes and parade around the park at 10-15 MPH under the speed limit. They of course were in T-shirts, shorts and sandles and cared not the least little bit about the impact of their behavior on others. Not a day to expect to see wildlife. What is amazing is that they seem to think that other people are looking at them with admiration when in fact it is the look of distaste for their inconsiderate passive aggressive behavior. The OP is wise to try to avoid any event that causes the area to become infested with large numbers of such riders.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Yeah, but in Maine, the cruiser riders wave at you, the Goldwing riders don't.
    Hehehe, I get an 80/20 with the wingers, its those GS riders, persnickty lot they can be .
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Once made the mistake of diverting through Yellowstone on our way home and it was the week before Sturgis. Legions of RVs pulling trailers with HDs and HD clones in every camp ground. In the morning they would swarm into groups of 20-50 bikes and parade around the park at 10-15 MPH under the speed limit. They of course were in T-shirts, shorts and sandles and cared not the least little bit about the impact of their behavior on others. Not a day to expect to see wildlife. What is amazing is that they seem to think that other people are looking at them with admiration when in fact it is the look of distaste for their inconsiderate passive aggressive behavior. The OP is wise to try to avoid any event that causes the area to become infested with large numbers of such riders.
    Sounds like you did get to see "wildlife"
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Bluenoser
    it wouldn't have taken much effort to do a search or two on line to find out where the rallies were with respect to the route the original poster was taking. Many different groups hold them, not just the Harley owners and they can all be a pain, if they happen to interfere with your plans. My experience over a long time of riding is that the bike no matter the brand is not the problem, but the rider certainly can be. Bike riders are a mosaic of society, they run the gambit from the idiot to the friendly. Such is life.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

Quote Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
    ...My experience over a long time of riding is that the bike no matter the brand is not the problem, but the rider certainly can be. ...
    I agree. In fact, the group I am in is a PITA when it has more than 3 or 4 bikes and we're all trying to fill up at a tiny station in a tiny community and there's only one, maybe two, pumps.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

critical?

Quote Originally Posted by gstom View Post
    Shouldn't this thread be moved to the "Elitist" Forum?

Enjoy your ride the way you want to, but why be critical of the way others choose to enjoy theirs?
    I didn't think he was being critical. He was just trying to enjoy his travels by avoiding certain crowded, noisy and drunk rallies.

There is one in my area for a week(Sandusky,OHIO) and it is too crowded for me. So I get his post.

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Does anyone know of a Website that lists rallies for the coming season so I can route around them?
    Here's another:
    http://www.cyclefish.com/browse_events.php?major=1

I hope to travel west after the rally and will avoid Sturgis.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver