Thread: Lucky People #2...

Lucky People #2...

Problem Number 2:

The US importer for Spiegeler is here in the Dayton, OH area. I called them and had a set of brake lines made up for the RS. I had them add 2" to the front upper due to the Verholen's. I put the front upper on last fall and got around to the rest of the lines today. The rear went fine. the front line that goes down from the MC to the block went fine. Then when I went to install the ones from the calipers up to the block I discovered this:

They swaged the ends on backwards... Of course they are only open from M-F so I can't do anything until sometime next week.

So I went ahead and the the rear drive oil, the gearbox oil, engine oil and filter, and when I checked the Alternator belt I got one nice surprise as the PO had put on a new one right before he sold it. That doesn't make up for the tire and brake lines but I guess it softened the blow to the night.

Hopefully the previous post with the PR3s helps someone else not have to make two trips to the tire store and two trips to their changer.

Oh, well a night working on my bike is almost only surpassed by actually riding it, so I got that going for me!

Any of the Spiegler lines I've bought had the turnable fittings so you could correctly align the banjo fittings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Thought you had me for a second

I ran down to the shop and checked both ends of my lines. The are swaged in place and are not adjustable. That would have been nice though!

They are turnable and the kit cones with the 2 - 1/2 clamps and the PVC turn rod.
    It goes in a vise and is easily turned.
    I have even turned some by hand but you should use the tool.
    Click link for animation
    http://www.bmws1000rr.net/pics/spiegler2.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Just a thought

Have you tried swapping the lines from left to right? Plus 2 on the plastic clamp and dowel to turn the banjo fittings if you need to. I've bought Spiegler stainless lines for 6 bikes (kits and one off custom lines) and all have come with plastic vise adapters and a dowel to fine tune the banjo fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    Any of the Spiegler lines I've bought had the turnable fittings so you could correctly align the banjo fittings.
    I bought a custom-length Spiegler line for the front of my R12R last year, and the fittings rotated easily, without tools.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Perfect

I had those "spare parts" in the kit and thought nothing of them. I never even considered them. I just ran down and turned the fittings. They are super stiff and wouldn't turn by hand. Thanks everyone. This was the first time I posted up an issue on the forum. I really appreciate the input. Now I just need to remount the front tire.

Quote Originally Posted by 69zeff65 View Post
    Have you tried swapping the lines from left to right? Plus 2 on the plastic clamp and dowel to turn the banjo fittings if you need to. I've bought Spiegler stainless lines for 6 bikes (kits and one off custom lines) and all have come with plastic vise adapters and a dowel to fine tune the banjo fitting.
    No, but the only reason was that they were both exactly the same. I appreciate the response from both you and GSAddict on the clamps!

Failure

Quote Originally Posted by tt100 View Post
    No, but the only reason was that they were both exactly the same. I appreciate the response from both you and GSAddict on the clamps!
    Like my Dad always told me, when all else fails read the instructions. Please do not ask me how I know.

Funny thing about that... It didn't have any instructions on it and I gave those pieces about a2 second glance and pressed on as if it was IKEA furniture with "extra" parts in the bag. Live and learn I suppose. Hopefully this thread helps some other person down the road,

I guess you're lucky you joined the MoA, eh?
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Yeah,

...and I thought I was only going to get a discount on a new bike with it! I"m already in bonus-ville!

Quote Originally Posted by motorradmike View Post
    I guess you're lucky you joined the MoA, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by tt100 View Post
    The US importer for Spiegeler is here in the Dayton, OH area.
    Just so you knew, Spiegler is a 100% American company. Everything's made in Dayton.

http://spieglerusa.com/about-us
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Right. What I should have said is Speller is here in Dayton. They also are the importer of some best other things like a new handlebars set up for my RS. I can't remember who makes it... LSL maybe? Thanks for the clarification