Thread: New top case for an '04 k12gt

New top case for an '04 k12gt

As I plan for some two up trips this year, I'd like to upgrade to a new case that will hold more and be a better back rest for my sweetie. I currently have a saddleman attached to the stock rear rack. Best I can tell it has a limit of about 25lbs. I believe givi has some to choose from with better brackets to allow for more weight. I'd like to be able to carry maybe 35 lbs with a cushion back rest and an additional top rack for a Helen two wheel roll top bag. What options have worked for some others?

Thanks for your help.
    Tom

I have a Givi rack holding a fuel cell on my K12RS rig. It's very sturdy and will far surpass your stated load requirements. You can also get some really nice plug & play lighting for some of the Givi cases.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

All the Givi cases I've looked at specify a load limit of 22lbs or less. It's frustrating, as I assume the real number is higher.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInCA View Post
    All the Givi cases I've looked at specify a load limit of 22lbs or less. It's frustrating, as I assume the real number is higher.
    I saw that when I bought mine. 'I' consider it lawyer talk, YMMV. The Givi rack is really well built and sturdy, much more so than the factory rack. I know I have more than 22 lbs. on mine, and I'll speculate most people routinely carry more in their Givi topcases.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

I consider it lawyer talk too. And the perverse thing about it is that by putting a sort of obviously lowball number on it (all of them exactly 10kg, what a coincidence!), they're probably encouraging foolish experimentation to figure out where the line is, rather than just saying it.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Yep the big Givi works for me and this is years later,AND I am a lawyer.Use your common sense about loading it and check its fastenings from time to time,they do loosen.
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.