Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 92 k75 about to go (maybe) buy one. What should I look for.

3 Red Bricks
    Here's where you can get better new gears:

http://www.odometergears.com/product...Motorcycles/42

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    There is a sensor on the final drive. If your speedo is not working, that is also why the odometer is not working. If your self canceling turn indicators don't cancel as well, the problem is the sensor.

I am also thinking about installing the fuel gauge since the sensor in the tank is capable of driving it ( so I read) . Does the gauge have anti-slosh dampening or is there some other way it is done. I know it is "backwards" sensor, I found the number for VDO one.
    Speedo is working odo is not so I guess its the gears.
    I want to be unique, just like everybody else.

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by cele0001 View Post
    Speedo is working odo is not so I guess its the gears.
    Almost always the case.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks
    I forgot to mention, check that the fan blade spins freely. There is a good explanation in this months Owners News in the "Benchwrenching" column by Paul Glaves.

What is up with the side cases? Lock here lock there lock everywhere and to take off is an exercise in 3D geometry. What am I missing?
    If you look to the rear of the "hooked" part ( the part that hooks over the mounting rails) of the bag, there is a small (about 1/2"x 3/4") tab that sticks up. While initially hooking the bag over the rail, this tab must be to the rear of the rail. Once the bag is hooked, you must slide the bag about 1" forward so that the tab is now under the rail. This prevents the bag from lifting up off the rails. Then lock the lower lock.

To remove the bag, unlock the lower lock. Pull bottom of bag out so that lock will clear rail, slide bag towards the rear until tab clears rail, lift off.

It is handy to have a separate lock locking the bag closed. That way when you take your bags off you can leave them locked until you want to open them. I usually only lock the top bag closure lock. That way you can open the bag on the bike in one motion; one hand on key in top lock and other hand on unlocked rear lock.

ALWAYS lock the bags to the bike. One, for security, but also to prevent lock from popping open while riding.

ALWAYS double check that the "hooked" part of the bag is properly over and behind the rail. Check by insuring that the bag slides front to rear easily and back before locking lower lock. Many a bag has been lost because the "hook" was wedged on TOP of the rail and eventually came off.

Also when you put the bike on a side stand it leans a little more than I would like. Is there a pad that goes on the foot. There are two holes.
    It's definitely scary the first time! But if the sidestand bolt is loose, or if it has been loose and has bent the U-shaped end of the stand where it goes over the tang on the bracket so that it is overly sloppy, it will lean even more than normal.

But it does come in handy when you have to pull of on the shoulder of a highly cambered narrow road. There have been a couple times that I was the only one who could comfortably get off my bike without worrying about the bike not leaning enough. (Admittedly those we outweighed by the times I'm concerned by how much it leans.)
    You could certainly attach a block to the foot of the stand, just be careful not to add too much.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks
    Should the temperature light and fuel light come on for the light check at startup?
    Esmir
    No. Since they both use very simple circuits with only a switch and a light, unless the engine is hotter than the set point of the switch, the light will not come on. Same for low fuel. Should be approx. 1 gallon left when light comes on if bike is level. Can be adjusted by bending wire in tank that holds float.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks
    Changed engine oil. There is a leak coming from the crankshaft and it looks like it is a little seal inside the flywheel. Rear main seal looks good.
    It is an O-ring under the nut and washer that hold the flywheel on: 11 21 1 460 456 O-RING - 19X4 $1.67

THE most common cause of leaks in the clutch area when it dries out and cracks.
    REPLACE IT NOW! If it hasn't yet, it will trash you clutch, as it leaks directly on the disc.

I have a quick question. Bike came with Russel Day Long seat which is in pretty rough shape. I also got another seat which looks like it should fit but the pan is too deep, it sits on the ME holder. When I removed the holder and put the seat it is fine (sitting on the rails). Are there two different seats for the K bikes or two different ME holders (one without the storage)?
    Thank you and I will provide some pictures.
    There are two seats that I am aware of that will not fit with the tool tray that is above the computer:

One is the non-hinged (lift off) low seat. On this seat, the upholstered sides come down lower than the bottoms of the frame rails making the battery covers unusable.

The other is the hinged comfort seat for the 16 valve K100 and K1100. The area under the seat on those bikes allow the seat pan to extend down between the frame rails. I believe that you MIGHT be able to make this work by cutting the tool box part off of the computer holder or getting a holder from a low seat bike. There MIGHT be a difference in the required hinges and hardware. Try with computer out before you cut anything.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Mr Fulton you are spewing knowledge today. Thank you very much.
    I am waiting for parts from MAX BMW. They had to order front brake line from Germany so I lost a week there.
    In retrospect I should have gotten the line from Spiegler but too late now. I deleted ABS so I am running non ABS line to the front caliper.
    Rear line is stainless steel braided and that one stays (just routed it directly from cylinder to rear caliper.
    I am getting antzy, want to put it together and ride.

3 Red Bricks
    A great thing to do while you are waiting is check the valve clearances. Very important to verify that they are correct.

Checking is easy.

Bike MUST be cold (under 94F)

Remove valve cover.

Make chart:
    Intake 1. 2. 3.
    Exhaust 1. 2. 3.

One intake and one exhaust on a different cylinder will be in position to check with the heel of the cam facing the valve. Measure and record.

Hit starter and immediately hit kill switch (so bike doesn't start).

Cams will stop with a different pair of valves ready to check. Measure and record.

Repeat until all six valves have been checked.

Intakes should be .006-.008". Exhausts should be .010-.012" with the looser side (.012") preferred as the exhausts are cooled by seat time and tighten with time. Shims are available in .002" increments.

If any valves are out of spec. and need adjusting, that requires special tools. Let me know and i'll advise further.

An important note about replacing the valve cover: the cover bolts have a shoulder and are meant to bottom out and should be TORQUED to 6-7 ft lbs or you will strip out the holes in the cam bearing covers or the head. Ft/lb torque wrenches are not accurate that low. You need an inch/lb torque wrench, even the $10 Harbor Freight version and torque to 72-84 in/lb.

What holds the cover tight, since the bolts bottom out, is the rubber bushings that go around the bolts. It is the elasticity of the rubber that applies the pressure. When these get old and hard, they loose their elasticity causing poor sealing. New gaskets are under $20 for the pair and the 10 bushings are under $1ea.

Last edited by 98lee; 04-05-2014 at 04:27 AM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thank you for the info. I will leave the valve adjustment for the next oil change. It was running fine. I would like some guidance regarding the fuel gauge install.

I am a sucker for a bike in need I guess. Could have spent $800 on something else but I guess I will be oilhead/brickhead since I already have R1150R.
    I must say I like the bike. Ride home (the most exciting part as you all know) was very nice. Bike is taller than R and more "wobbly" but very nice. It is narrower, I feel I can play with traffic more with it. Engine is smooth and 5th gear is awesome, you can go from 20-90 without shifting, very smooth torque curve. It was ridden hard but still runs well. I am assuming drivetrain is OK. Gotta start going through it slowly, tank is first. I took the fairing off already and I need some plastic pieces. Windshield is cloudy and was wondering if there is replacement for it. Thank you for your input.
    What is up with the side cases? Lock here lock there lock everywhere and to take off is an exercise in 3D geometry. What am I missing?
    Also when you put the bike on a side stand it leans a little more than I would like. Is there a pad that goes on the foot. There are two holes.
    Gustaffson probably makes a windshield for it. I got one last year for a K100RT. They are located in St Augustine.
    J.D.
    1985 K100RT (my first BMW, felled by a tree)
    2003 K1200LT

Good call on Gustafson. I will definitely check them out

Quick update. Parts coming Monday. Here is the status
    image.jpg

image.jpg

I deleted the abs completely both abs sensors are off as well.

Come on Monday hurry up

Quick update

I put the clutch, transmission, swing arm and final drive in.
    Used hammer handle as a holder to tighten the flywheel nut.

Clutch alignment was a little tedious, in the end I took the push rod out, left the clutch slightly lose, and used the transmission as the alignment tool Forgot to route the clutch cable before the swing arm ( slight setback).

Gotta bleed the brakes and then off to the front of the bike, air filter housing, fairings and the tank.
    I am thinking, I am riding by the weekend.

Am I correct in assuming that there is no way to replace clutch cable boot. It is one of those idiot taxes I guess since I bought it.

Pictures coming.

Almost done

Just need a windshield.

Seat turned out great.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Runs great. Idle is a little low bur overall very nice. If you have emerald green drivers side cover or nice windshield let me know

Quote Originally Posted by JD Hilton View Post
    Gustaffson probably makes a windshield for it. I got one last year for a K100RT. They are located in St Augustine.
    They never answered. I will try again this week