Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: replace stock shocks with Wilbers ?? 2010 R1200RT

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    30

    replace stock shocks with Wilbers ?? 2010 R1200RT

    I'm riding a 2010 RT with ESA. I'm thinking about replacing the stock shocks with Wilbers. with my last bike, a 2000 RT, I noticed a dramatic improvement in bike handling when I had a set of Wilbers installed when bike had about 50K miles. my current 2010 RT has about 30K miles but with the ESA I'm wondering what exactly I'd be getting. Any thoughts on this possible replacement would be appreciated.

    Steve W
    Holland, MI
    Last edited by deilenberger; 03-20-2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: added year/model to thread title

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    49
    Had OEM ESA shocks replaced by Herman there in Florida - Wilbers a Great replacement choice (night and day difference) IMO.

    08RT

  3. #3
    Registered User wyman.winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Solvang, CA
    Posts
    153
    i had Ted Porter's Beemer Shop do the Wilber's ESA shock switch to my 2013 R1200RT in December, IIRC the Rt had 12000miles.....suffice to say it transformed the already good handling to outstanding.....job took Ted's tech about 6 hours including a lunch break.....

    i HIGHLY recommend the upgrade...

    wyman
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    30
    thanks for the imput, I'm going to call the Beemer shop and see what they have to say about costs

    S

  5. #5
    Small road corner junkie pffog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Posts
    2,092
    Take what ever cost they give you and divide it by 3, that is your cost in the end, as used premium shocks fetch good$$, when you are done with them. You get the added bonus of great handling and ride in the meantime.

    Lots are scared by the price, but good suspension is the best thing you can do to almost any moto.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

  6. #6
    Addicted to curves azgman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    i had Ted Porter's Beemer Shop do the Wilber's ESA shock switch to my 2013 R1200RT in December, IIRC the Rt had 12000miles.....suffice to say it transformed the already good handling to outstanding.....job took Ted's tech about 6 hours including a lunch break.....

    i HIGHLY recommend the upgrade...

    wyman

    +1! Currently at 49k with Wilbers, best investment yet. I did mine myself with some telephone pre-installation support from Ted himself. Great guy!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

  7. #7
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    7,735
    Steve - please review: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46055 - I'm adding the year/model to your thread title.

    A FWIW - the original US Wilbers importer - EPMPerformance, Klaus Hueneke - was approached by Benny Wilbers to once again be a Wilbers importer. He has considerable experience with ESA conversions - using both Wilbers and Hyperpro shocks. I believe he's also working on a YSS solution (a bit less expensive.) - Note Klaus is a very good friend of mine, but he's also has one of the best suspension shops in the US.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    A FWIW - the original US Wilbers importer - EPMPerformance, Klaus Hueneke - was approached by Benny Wilbers to once again be a Wilbers importer. He has considerable experience with ESA conversions - using both Wilbers and Hyperpro shocks. I believe he's also working on a YSS solution (a bit less expensive.) - Note Klaus is a very good friend of mine, but he's also has one of the best suspension shops in the US.
    Is Ted going away, or will this be a 2nd US reseller?
    Randy
    CURRENT: R1200GSW, R75/7
    PAST BMWs: 2013 R1200RT, 2002 R1150RT, 1982 R100RS, 1993 K1100RS, 1993 K1100LT, 1989 R100RT, 1978 R80/7

  9. #9
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    7,735
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZER View Post
    Is Ted going away, or will this be a 2nd US reseller?
    Dunno about Ted - I know for a while he was apparently unhappy with Wilbers and was selling a different-name variant of the Hyperpro shocks. I think you'd have to ask him.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

  10. #10
    Registered User wyman.winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Solvang, CA
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    A FWIW - the original US Wilbers importer - EPMPerformance, Klaus Hueneke - was approached by Benny Wilbers to once again be a Wilbers importer. He has considerable experience with ESA conversions - using both Wilbers and Hyperpro shocks. I believe he's also working on a YSS solution (a bit less expensive.) - Note Klaus is a very good friend of mine, but he's also has one of the best suspension shops in the US.
    i would think, from purely a marketing standpoint, that having a distributor on both coasts would be advantages to sales.....as i wanted my Wilbers ESA shocks installed on my 2013 RT and was lucky enough to be reasonably close to Ted's shop.....yes, i could have just sent Ted the shocks but i felt it was money well spent getting them properly set up and installed....in less than 6 hours to boot....

    wyman
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Menlo Park, CA
    Posts
    67
    Steve - sorry to join this conversation so late.

    I did the Wilbers ESA replacement about a year ago on my 2009 RT, which from a suspension standpoint is about identical to your 2010. Totally worth it. Here's a project report if you're thinking about doing it yourself. Ted Porter at BeemerShop was very helpful.

    JayJay

  12. #12
    Registered User mchad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    White Plains, NY
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Steve - please review: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46055 - I'm adding the year/model to your thread title.

    A FWIW - the original US Wilbers importer - EPMPerformance, Klaus Hueneke - was approached by Benny Wilbers to once again be a Wilbers importer. He has considerable experience with ESA conversions - using both Wilbers and Hyperpro shocks. I believe he's also working on a YSS solution (a bit less expensive.) - Note Klaus is a very good friend of mine, but he's also has one of the best suspension shops in the US.
    This is confirmed. Klaus took my order for a pair of Wilburs last week. Should have them in and I'll be over there to have them installed the second week of April by his estimates.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by mchad View Post
    This is confirmed. Klaus took my order for a pair of Wilburs last week. Should have them in and I'll be over there to have them installed the second week of April by his estimates.
    what was the approximate cost for the conversion by Klaus?

    SW

  14. #14
    Registered User mchad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    White Plains, NY
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by swessels View Post
    what was the approximate cost for the conversion by Klaus?

    SW
    Sorry, didn't see this until now. The shocks were $15xx.00 (don't remember exactly) and he estimates 2-3 hours install @ 85/hr.

  15. #15
    . AntonLargiader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    1,373
    One of my customers got the Wilbers/ESA conversion a year or two ago on his R1200RT. Just saw him; he is still extremely pleased with the suspension. As above, he thought it turned a good handling bike into a great handling one. We used the guy down in Florida.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •