Thread: 92 R100GS PD Plastic or Metal Tank?

92 R100GS PD Plastic or Metal Tank?

Can someone confirm which tank this bike had from the factory and, if there was an option, how to confirm by inspection?

Thanks in advance.

Floridarandy

My 1993 PD had the composite tank, 9.25 gallons. Easy to tell by taking off the filler cap and looking at the edges. I believe all PDs came with the large composite tank.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Maybe dumb question ....define composite please.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    My 1993 PD had the composite tank, 9.25 gallons. Easy to tell by taking off the filler cap and looking at the edges. I believe all PDs came with the large composite tank.

A mixture of materials. Probably caused more confusion by using that term. My understanding is they were made by a company called Elkamet and Elkamet does represent themselves as making plastic fuel tanks. I believe all plastics are composites, but all composites are not plastics.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

magnets?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I believe all plastics are composites, but all composites are not plastics. .
    It's the other way around ak - all composites are considered plastic, but all plastics are not composites. "Fiberglass" parts use a cloth/fabric (glass or graphite) and a thermoset resin (usually polyester or epoxy) to bind them together. Thermoset resins will not melt once cured. Stuff like business machines use what is called a "bulk molding compound" which is finely chopped glass and a tailored thermoset resin which is activated when the materal is loaded into a processing machine with heated molds.

Thermoplastics, like ABS, polyethylene, polyproplyene, etc., that are injection molded under heat and pressure, or blown (milk bottles, kayaks, etc.) will remelt. If you've ever seen Krausers that get too close to a muffler you've seen it.

That all said.... WWI aircraft were also of composite construction; wood, cloth, and metal.

"Composite" is related to "combined" (?).
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner