Thread: bike miss firing

bike miss firing

Let me start with some history. I broke down last summer, the bike started misfiring,and then stopped. it was the HES. Got it replaced and it ran fine for a few miles. Then started misfiring again. It was thought to be water in the gas. I rode for 2200, each tank of gas it got better and I was able to run the tank almost dry.
    I have since changed the fuel filter and cleaned the tank. I left for Bike week in the cold (13). It ran fine until it warmed up around (55). Which was over500 miles. Then a few misses. Continued getting worse, would run awhile when cold. I decide that I did not need to break down in the boonies so I headed home. It kept getting worse, almost all the time.
    I stopped in a rest area to let it cool off . I also for some reason decided to pull all the relays in the fuse box. 800 miles later it still has not missed once and actually started a bit easier.

Any ideas? I want to fix this and don't know what to do. I think it it an electric problem.

Left Coast Rider
    What model and year is your bike? Mileage? It'll help those who would like to contribute.

I would go on a limb and say it wasn't the HES or water in the tank or you pulling out the relays.
    I want to be unique, just like everybody else.

Model, Mileage, last tune up, plug condition etc.
    Give us something to work with here........
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

1999 r 1100rt last tune up 2000 miles now everything done 111,000 miles at that time now 113300

Start with fresh plugs and then the wires if they are original.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Rule of thumb

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Start with fresh plugs and then the wires if they are original.
    Lawnmower, chainsaw, family car, start with plugs.

Wires are easy. In the dark, spray water on them. If they are an issue, you should see the discharge. It's actually neat to see.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    Lawnmower, chainsaw, family car, start with plugs.

Wires are easy. In the dark, spray water on them. If they are an issue, you should see the discharge. It's actually neat to see.
    Most of the time yes, but leakage is not always visible.

At that mileage, it's not a bad idea to replace them if for nothing but PM.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Most of the time yes, but leakage is not always visible.

At that mileage, it's not a bad idea to replace them if for nothing but PM.
    Rule of thumb. YFA.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

plugs&wires

The plugs were replaced at the time of tune up. Wires were done 20,000 miles or so before. Since Both sides were not firing I ruled them out. Plus the fact that the relays were pulled and bike ran right. That is the direction I believe that I should lean towards. I also mentioned that the bike starts better now.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brianfisk View Post
    .. I stopped in a rest area to let it cool off . I also for some reason decided to pull all the relays in the fuse box. 800 miles later it still has not missed once and actually started a bit easier...
    My '02 R1150RT abruptly stalled and died several times over a 3 year period. When looking at the relays (in desperation) I noticed that one was standing a bit proud of the others, the Motronic Relay. After I pushed it down the bike started and ran fine again.
    I cannot explain it, and none of my guru friends ever heard of such a problem. But it happened at least 3 times to me.
    As superstitious preventive, I put a chunk of styrofoam between relay tops and relay box cover for a couple of years. Since then I've discarded it and the problem has not recurred.
    My bike had seen a lot of rough roads, that vibration is the only thing I can think of.
    Superstition or not, it doesn't hurt to push the relays down when you're stalled at the roadside.
    --
    Doug Raymond
    R1150RT '02
    Ambler, PA

The plugs were replaced at the time of tune up. Wires were done 20,000 miles or so before. Since Both sides were not firing I ruled them out. Plus the fact that the relays were pulled and bike ran right. That is the direction I believe that I should lean towards. I also mentioned that the bike starts better now.

Brian
    Just a quick check. What coding plug is installed in your electrical box? Coding plug is positioned, mid box called Relay 1 below. On your bike it should be Yellow and connect pins 30 and 87.

Do you have any other add-ons, for instance a Powercommander, Techlusion or BoosterPlug?
    RB

Quote Originally Posted by DougRaymond View Post
    My '02 R1150RT abruptly stalled and died several times over a 3 year period. When looking at the relays (in desperation) I noticed that one was standing a bit proud of the others, the Motronic Relay. After I pushed it down the bike started and ran fine again.
    I cannot explain it, and none of my guru friends ever heard of such a problem. But it happened at least 3 times to me.
    As superstitious preventive, I put a chunk of styrofoam between relay tops and relay box cover for a couple of years. Since then I've discarded it and the problem has not recurred.
    My bike had seen a lot of rough roads, that vibration is the only thing I can think of.
    Superstition or not, it doesn't hurt to push the relays down when you're stalled at the roadside.
    Hey I like this answer! I am going to try pulling it out a bit and see if I can get it to repeat the problem I had.

Also thanks for the diagram on the fuse/relay box.

Brian

.. Also thanks for the diagram on the fuse/relay box.
    Thanks to Roger 04 RT for that.
    --
    Doug Raymond
    R1150RT '02
    Ambler, PA