Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: U-Joint Failure - R1200R 2007 33K mlles

Grampa Tumbleweed

U-Joint Failur-R12002007

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInCA View Post
    Thanks! Will they perform the replacement? They appear to be oriented toward sales of new shafts and components to commercial markets.
    A friend of mine had his done by them, they turned it around in only a day or two.

David - was the driveshaft removed from the bike without removing the swingarm? Just curious since I've heard some of them won't clear the weld for the front U joint through the opening in the swingarm, meaning the arm has to come off to R&R the shaft.

BTW - I keep a spare on my garage shelf (found a bargain on Ebay) - to invoke Eilenberger's Law of Spares.. and it's packaged and ready to go via overnight UPS if I need it while touring..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

When I saw the pieces, the swingarm had been dropped. I trust that the shop wouldn't have done that work if the driveshaft could have been removed with the swingarm in place.

I remember hearing about your spare driveshaft. Keeping it packaged for shipping is great prep.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Don, the whole swingarm must come off as the shaft won't fit through the end of it. Thankfully it's not that hard to take the whole swingarm off.

To the OP, the driveshaft you have is the same part number as an R1200RT, so that one I linked to you on ebay would work. If I were you, I would buy the one on ebay for $270 and send it to http://www.machineservice.com/ and have them put on the more durable and serviceable U-joints (they quoted me $250 for that last time I called). Then for under $600 you will have a drive shaft that I'd trust more than a new $900 one.

I also may be parting out my friend's '07 R1200RT that has the drive shaft I had sent to Bruno's in it. That also has the heavier duty serviceable U-joints.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - 28k - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast" - 28k - sold
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - sold

Thanks, Nate. At this point, I think I'll continue on with the new piece, but I'm considering getting a spare driveshaft to keep wrapped on a shelf - thanks, Don - to ensure my bike isn't so long immobilized if this occurs again in the future.

One concern I have is that a used driveshaft is...used, and from what I've read, shafts also fail by fracturing of the rubber that fills the space between the solid shaft half and the tubular shaft half, and which connects the two halves. I imagine that use and heat make the rubber more vulnerable. A new shaft will have a history in which heat and use are absent; a used shaft will be a mystery.

Nate, I've also sent you a PM.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Thanks, Nate. At this point, I think I'll continue on with the new piece, but I'm considering getting a spare driveshaft to keep wrapped on a shelf - thanks, Don - to ensure my bike isn't so long immobilized if this occurs again in the future.
    David

Well, we went in together on the gs911, we should go in on a spare shaft and have it ready to ship if necessary.

Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    When I saw the pieces, the swingarm had been dropped. I trust that the shop wouldn't have done that work if the driveshaft could have been removed with the swingarm in place.

I remember hearing about your spare driveshaft. Keeping it packaged for shipping is great prep.
    Another chap in our club keeps a spare rear-drive packed and ready to ship.. Between the two of us - we have drive problems pretty much covered..

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    Don, the whole swingarm must come off as the shaft won't fit through the end of it. Thankfully it's not that hard to take the whole swingarm off.

To the OP, the driveshaft you have is the same part number as an R1200RT, so that one I linked to you on ebay would work. If I were you, I would buy the one on ebay for $270 and send it to http://www.machineservice.com/ and have them put on the more durable and serviceable U-joints (they quoted me $250 for that last time I called). Then for under $600 you will have a drive shaft that I'd trust more than a new $900 one.

I also may be parting out my friend's '07 R1200RT that has the drive shaft I had sent to Bruno's in it. That also has the heavier duty serviceable U-joints.
    Hi Nate - the reason I asked - apparently on a GS - you can R&R the shaft without swingarm removal... Problem is - I doubt if I have the tools on the bike to R&R the swingarm. Would mean an emergency trip to Harbor Freight if it happened on the road.