Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '13 R1200RT Anti-Theft Alarm??

'13 R1200RT Anti-Theft Alarm??

Hi all --

I took apart my seat and rear lights in order to install the Skene P3 Lights and to my surprise I see the alarm control box installed. When I purchased the bike (90th anniversary edition with touring package) it did not say the alarm was included, nor do I have an alarm manual. How would it be activated? Is there an option somewhere in the menu? I've searched everywhere, I'm not even sure I know how to get into the setup menu! I've moved the bike while the wheel was locked but the bike did not care...

Thanks for your insights.
    -Dave

Are you sure it is not the TPM (RDC) module?

Not sure. Sure looks like the alarm module. And it had the connector that looks just like the square alarm connector shown everywhere in schematics which call for a source of switched power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

RDC/TPM module...

RDC.jpg

Nope. Mine has the connector facing the other way, from the direction of the back seat. And it's flat, square, with a white label on it.

When you have alarm installed, they take out the tire pressure monitor box and replace it with one that does both, i.e. also alarm. You can check the part numbers at realoem.com.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Let me ask this -- if I had an alarm, would I also have been given a key fob remote much like a car would have to arm/disarm it?
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Let me ask this -- if I had an alarm, would I also have been given a key fob remote much like a car would have to arm/disarm it?
    -Dave
    If the box you describe is indeed an alarm, then yes the dealer owes you two fobs. My bike didn't come with the alarm, I ordered and paid for it separately. Though I Can't recall what all was included in the packaging.

Would not surprise me if the alarm was installed. Could have been a request from a buyer before you to the dealer, then said buyer could have backed out of the sale for whatever reason. Or it could have been a factory add on. Do you still have the MSRP sticker? It may have itemized the alarm as an option. If so, where's the remotes?

Great question, I did check the sticker and it does not list an alarm.

dunno if this helps but on my f800st, my tpm module was replaced with a tpm/alarm. i asked for my old parts back. big difference being u can see the spot where the speaker is for the alarm.

i also have the 90'th edition. it did not come with a TPM module installed. yours came with one?

if that box looked liek this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R1200-K1...c9faed&vxp=mtr

without the speaker, its tpm

with the speaker:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-BMW-R12...ff9310&vxp=mtr

its tpm/alarm. if u got the second, the dealership owes u some keyfobs.
    Crick0234

bikes owned: r1200rt, f800st
    bikes gone: honda shadow vlx, suzuki katana 600

And it looks like the image I posted of the "RDC/TPM" has the speaker, so it is RDC/TPM plus alarm, I guess. Sorry for the confusion.

Hey that's exactly what I have installed

So I checked and I see it is part # 7720818 which, according to this site:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=65&fg=75&hl=4

means I do NOT have an alarm. Am I reading it correctly?

-Dave

65 75 7 720 818 is RDC (TPM) only. No Alarm. Kind of what I asked in post number 2. If you have TPM on your bike you have a box there. The only question is which box... RDC (TPM) Only, Alarm only, or Alarm and RDC (TPM) combined.

Dave: how did your install go? I just installed my Skene P3 this past weekend and tapped the power off the same box you described behind the rear seat. But now I am not sure if my alarm is working properly now (don't see the signal flashes when activated). Plan to reseat the connector and hope there's all to it. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Hi all --

I took apart my seat and rear lights in order to install the Skene P3 Lights and to my surprise I see the alarm control box installed. When I purchased the bike (90th anniversary edition with touring package) it did not say the alarm was included, nor do I have an alarm manual. How would it be activated? Is there an option somewhere in the menu? I've searched everywhere, I'm not even sure I know how to get into the setup menu! I've moved the bike while the wheel was locked but the bike did not care...

Thanks for your insights.
    -Dave