Thread: knocking and rattling 2012 rt

knocking and rattling 2012 rt

yesterday I started my 2012 rt after it set for about three months,it knocked for about 10 seconds,this concern me because it never did this before,oil light never came on,has anyone else did this.
    Last edited by deilenberger; 02-22-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: added year/model to thread title

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Sounds like the cam chain tensioner. The oil could have drained out and had to build back up, or it may have been sticky after setting. If it does not come back I would not worry about it. The boxers all sound like a bucket-of-bolts the first couple of seconds.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

+ one on the cam tentioner,,,
    The pursuit of reality at all cost.

Hi Galaxie..

Please look at: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46055 - I'll add the info to the thread title. It has some significance since there are two engines that are represented in this forum.

As the others suggested - timing chain tensioner - oil drainback. Some oils seem more resistant to this than others..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Hi Galaxie..

Please look at: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46055 - I'll add the info to the thread title. It has some significance since there are two engines that are represented in this forum.

As the others suggested - timing chain tensioner - oil drainback. Some oils seem more resistant to this than others..
    All:

I would add to this that putting the bike away with CLEAN oil that's run for a short while in the bike is best for storing. You don't need to change again when you take it out of storage.

The reasons are these: You need clean oil in the bike because dirty oil gets impurities in it that can eat at things in your engine as well as gum up things like the timing chain tensioner.

You don't need to change oil again in the Spring because you're simply storing oil inside your engine...about the same as storing it in a bottle.

There may be a case for changing in Spring if you store your bike where there are massive temperature changes that could cause a lot of condensation inside the motor. That can create acid in the oil and eat bearings but fresh oil is pretty good at resisting that and a lot of that water will boil off when you run the bike.

Best thing of all is to ride your bike at least 10 miles about once a month. This is the first year I haven't done that. I'm hoping for the best when I start mine up this year.