Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Ebony 2014 RT

"If you test ride one of these beauties ... THEY GOT YA!!"

Congrats on the new ride. Must be the angle of the sun, but the color looks purple in the photo.
    I am fighting the urge to do a test ride, but I have an 06 RT now all bought and paid for, so I don't need a temptation flung on me.

Hah yeah, I should have added my "90th anniversary edition" RT, not my 90th bike. This is my 6th bike and 3rd beemer.

Thanks for the info on the RTW! I have one more questions for you. Did they change up the gearing at all for 6th gear? For example, on my bike at 4000rpm my speedometer reads 76mph approximately. Is that about the same with the new one?

Good luck with your ride in with Rick Mayer. He is a super cool guy and just did my seat for me a couple months ago. It's really fun to watch him at his craft while he's making it as well. Absolutely love the seat too. Blows my old Sargent out of the water for half the price.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast"
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - Retired and sold

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    Hah yeah, I should have added my "90th anniversary edition" RT, not my 90th bike. This is my 6th bike and 3rd beemer.

Thanks for the info on the RTW! I have one more questions for you. Did they change up the gearing at all for 6th gear? For example, on my bike at 4000rpm my speedometer reads 76mph approximately. Is that about the same with the new one?

Good luck with your ride in with Rick Mayer. He is a super cool guy and just did my seat for me a couple months ago. It's really fun to watch him at his craft while he's making it as well. Absolutely love the seat too. Blows my old Sargent out of the water for half the price.
    I think it pretty much the same but I guess I can get on the bike as if I need an excuse to ride my Ebony Rocket ... I will get a good check for you tomorrow, weather looks okay and I am trying to close out the miles for my scheduled 600 inspection Saturday.
    Last edited by wppatin; 03-06-2014 at 03:01 AM.
    2014 R1200RT
    2009 R1200RT Sold
    2003 R1100S. Sold
    1974 Moto Guzzi 850T

Wppatin, wow great writeup!!! I also have a 2009...
    -Jim
    Last edited by JT_R1200S; 03-06-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post

I did some interstate miles today and check speed vs RPM ... With the speedo set at a steady 76 MPH it was indicating 4100 ... On my 2009 the difference between the speedo and the MPH indicatesd on the GPS was 3 or 4 MPH, on my WetHead the difference is only 2 MPH ... So I set 76 MPH using the GPS readout And I was running at 4250 which is a hash mark on the Tach. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by wppatin; 03-08-2014 at 04:33 AM.
    2014 R1200RT
    2009 R1200RT Sold
    2003 R1100S. Sold
    1974 Moto Guzzi 850T

Quote Originally Posted by wppatin View Post
    I did some interstate miles today and check speed vs RPM ... With the speedo set at a steady 76 MPH it was indicating 4100 ... On my 2009 the difference between the speedo and the MPH indicatesd on the GPS was 3 or 4 MPH, on my WetHead the difference is only 2 MPH ... So I set 76 MPH using the GPS readout And I was running at 4250 which is a hash mark on the Tach. Hope that helps.
    Ditto, exactly the same difference between the GPS and speedometer at high speeds: with speedometer 2mph higher than the GPS. It's 1 mph at city speeds.

Took the R1200RT 2014 out, wow BMW really got it right with the engine on this one. My gripe with my 09 RT is 1st gear, on the 2014 it is great, it will pull in 1st gear with no throttle, it is lot's easier to drive in slow stuff it will just chug along in 1 gear. Hill assist is ok, I used it, don't know if it's that important because 1st gear is already very good. I think the police bikes will be amazing. The throttle response is also very good, especially in Dynamic mode, it revs quicker and has quite a bit more top end, it get's north of the century mark very quickly, I did not run it very hard but I could tell it has much more top end. My 09 has a Remus header and muffler, so I have very good throttle response, this 2014 is actually probably better. The other thing I really like was the electronic shift with no clutch you can shift both up and down, it's just a cool feature. My only negative was I get less wind buffeting on my 09 than I was getting on the 2014. My 09 has a Cee Bailey Sport shield that may be the difference, but this issue was very minor, the 2014 is a significantly better machine than my 09. This is is a winner!!!! I haven't had a GS this engine in a GS I bet is amazing. I may be leaning the GS route to try something different.

Quote Originally Posted by JT_R1200S View Post
    Took the R1200RT 2014 out, wow BMW really got it right with the engine on this one. My gripe with my 09 RT is 1st gear, on the 2014 it is great, it will pull in 1st gear with no throttle, it is lot's easier to drive in slow stuff it will just chug along in 1 gear. Hill assist is ok, I used it, don't know if it's that important because 1st gear is already very good. I think the police bikes will be amazing. The throttle response is also very good, especially in Dynamic mode, it revs quicker and has quite a bit more top end, it get's north of the century mark very quickly, I did not run it very hard but I could tell it has much more top end. My 09 has a Remus header and muffler, so I have very good throttle response, this 2014 is actually probably better. The other thing I really like was the electronic shift with no clutch you can shift both up and down, it's just a cool feature. My only negative was I get less wind buffeting on my 09 than I was getting on the 2014. My 09 has a Cee Bailey Sport shield that may be the difference, but this issue was very minor, the 2014 is a significantly better machine than my 09. This is is a winner!!!! I haven't had a GS this engine in a GS I bet is amazing. I may be leaning the GS route to try something different.
    As I said when we talked BMW really hit the mark on this motor and and bike as a whole. I agree with the wind coverage, to me it just feels as thought there is more air movement around the ride envelope. That might actually be a good thing in the summer but I will looking into the after market screen
    2014 R1200RT
    2009 R1200RT Sold
    2003 R1100S. Sold
    1974 Moto Guzzi 850T

Quote Originally Posted by JT_R1200S View Post
    As I said when we talked BMW really hit the mark on this motor and and bike as a whole. I agree with the wind coverage, to me it just feels as thought there is more air movement around the ride envelope. That might actually be a good thing in the summer but I will looking into the aftermarket screens. I think the shape of the screen is the problem and a slight wider screen will be all that's needed.

Have not ridden the GS, but a friend of my who preceded me in the 2014 RT purchase came off a 2008 GSA, has ridden the new GS and GSA and decided to buy a 0 mile never titled 2012/13 Anniversary GSA to add to his collection. Besides a great deal he just prefers that model he said. Will use it sparingly and kinda keep as a Trophy model ... We will see about that.

As I said in my review, "if you ride it ... They got ya"!!!
    2014 R1200RT
    2009 R1200RT Sold
    2003 R1100S. Sold
    1974 Moto Guzzi 850T