Thread: 78 r80/7 Fork Sliders

78 r80/7 Fork Sliders

can someone add fork sliders to my title?
    Hi, I have been cleaning up my new to me 78 r80/7, and I am up to the forks. I took the lower sliders off, and the oil looked pretty good, once the lowers were off I dropped the steering head and greased the bearings. Here is my question, looking on the Max parts site, nothing looked like what I have. I wanted to get new washers for the bottom Allen bolt that holds the sliders on, fine,those are there but there are springs inside the sliders at the bottom, they are about 3/4 diameter and about 3" long, are they rebound springs? they dont show up on the parts Fisk.sorry I cant do pictures.
    Last edited by 20774; 03-03-2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Request title change by OP
    Brian

86 k100rt, 78 r80/7

On my '78 R100/7 and on Max's microfisch for the R80/7, there should be just one long compression spring: 31 42 1 231 358 COMPRESSION SPRING (to 09/80).

My guess is that someone changed the fork spring configuration to stiffen them up?
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeone View Post
    but there are springs inside the sliders at the bottom, they are about 3/4 diameter and about 3" long, are they rebound springs? they dont show up on the parts Fisk
    Those are an aftermarket anti-dive springs. A few discussions here:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...i-dive-springs

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...i-dive-Springs

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...n-Missing-Part
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks, I will carry on.
    Last edited by yankeeone; 03-03-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    Brian

86 k100rt, 78 r80/7

jimmy armour

anti dive springs

Hi, I think you will find the small springs are after market anti dive springs, when installed the large bottom rubber bump stop, has to be removed also you should have a rubber bump washer on top of each anti dive spring,same washer which installs inside chrome fork leg as a bomp stop , hope this assists ,Jimmy