Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trying to find a part for '78 R100/7

Thanks to this thread, I already found a leftover from somewhere.

However, the tabs are so small, that using the "vent" once will do it in. Apparently they were made never to be removed, and if so, new ones would be used to replace them.

They were a poor design, as they are uniform (from piece to piece) but the holes in the cast wheel are not. Therefore, they don't fit just right. But . . . they served their purpose and were probably pretty cheap to replace so BMW went with them. Now . . . 36 years later, the vents aren't so plentiful, dog-gone near impossible to find! I guarantee, mine won't fall out again!

I am intrigued by the idea of getting some made by the 3-D printer. While I don't have any available to detail-measure, I could probably get a pretty reliable sketch together to see if more could be made.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

3D prinitng would be interesting, if you had a solid-model file to work from.

If anyone has one in pristine, or near pristine, condition I, or anyone else, could make a single cavity RTV silicone mold off of it and cast them ou of black polyurethane. Production rate wouldn't be very high (maybe ten minutes per cycle) but then neither is the market.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Rally Rat
    I could make a file for 3D printing, but like I said, I'd need an original, at least long enough to take a bunch of pictures and measurements.