Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find a part for '78 R100/7

Trying to find a part for '78 R100/7

I am not trying to turn this into a Flea Market, because I have put an ad there to purchase one of these with no response.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find one of these parts. It is one of the "vents" that goes on the Rear Snowflake Drum-type wheel. On the left side, there are 5 vent holes covered by little snap-in plastic covers. Over the years the little tabs that are supposed to hold them in, have broken off. I need one of these vent covers but have been unable to find one. I have advertised here on The Flea Market, called several dealers, who show that these are NLA, on the microfisch, I can't even see them listed.

I've attached a pic. If any of you have any suggestions as to where I can purchase one I would appreciate it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Check the Resources and Links for used parts and salvage yards. Airhead Salvage comes to mind. In addition to full dealers, try also calling Ted Porter or Tom Cutter.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Check the Resources and Links for used parts and salvage yards. Airhead Salvage comes to mind. In addition to full dealers, try also calling Ted Porter or Tom Cutter.
    Thanks. I have already tried a couple of them, with no luck yet.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Find someone that can do 3D printing.
    Mark Estes
    2004 R1100S
    1975 R75/6
    2005 Yamaha Majesty

Try Re-Psycle BMW in Ohio.They have a lot of new and used parts there.I got a new air scoop for the air cleaner along with the grate that goes inside from them.one of the parts was nla but they had it.
    George
    1978 R100RS Motorsport
    1978 R80/7
    1977 Triumph Bonneville
    1980 Honda XL500S

Quote Originally Posted by georgej View Post
    Try Re-Psycle BMW in Ohio.They have a lot of new and used parts there.George
    I have had an email off to them for about 3-4 days now. No answer yet. I have purchased from them as well, and as long as you go in person, they are OK. Not too efficient though with their email. Had same situation happen about 6 months ago. They will probably get around to checking their emails sometime or other.

Jimmy,

I don't think you're going to find the vent covers anywhere. I looked for some years ago and they were NLA then. I lost all of them one-by-one as time went on. Personally, I think we're better off without them. The openings w/o the vent covers lends itself to more air getting to the brake system. I've never had a problem without them, rain, shine or otherwise.

EBay?
    Mike V. / San Diego
    gruntyman66 MOA#30064
    78 R100/7 [orig. owner] / 81 R65 [restored]
    ABC-MOA-AMA / http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs

Quote Originally Posted by 30064 View Post
    Jimmy,

I don't think you're going to find the vent covers anywhere. I looked for some years ago and they were NLA then. I lost all of them one-by-one as time went on. Personally, I think we're better off without them. The openings w/o the vent covers lends itself to more air getting to the brake system. I've never had a problem without them, rain, shine or otherwise.

EBay?
    You are probably right on all counts!

Today I spent some time talking to an old parts supplier, and he just chuckled. Had about 20 real SnowFlake wheels, no inserts! He said that the inserts were only used on early ones, and later casting was changed.

I think I should be able to find ONE !! I will keep trying. I am not a purist, but I am just trying to make it like it was originally.

How about that English outfit that was written up in the BMWMOA News last month. They are a salvage type business and the article had a lot of praise about how prompt, reliable, helpful, and economical..........Worth a try Bud........God bless.........Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    How about that English outfit that was written up in the BMWMOA News last month. They are a salvage type business and the article had a lot of praise about how prompt, reliable, helpful, and economical..........Worth a try Bud........God bless.........Dennis
    I am going to try to get around to all of them if necessary. To tell you the truth, I was hoping that I might "jog" someone's memory and they might have some lying around in an old drawer or someplace. Maybe some people who don't generally check the Flea Market section.

BTW, I did finally find out the part number, with the help of that Airhead parts place: 36 32 1 238 303 (set of five). I just want one!

I was looking on bob's bmw microfiche, R80RT, 1982-1984, wheels and tires and i noticed item number 5. Don't know if this will fit but it looks like what the OP is looking for.

05 36 32 1238303 INSTALLING SET GRID 1 E $4.75
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim O'Coin

After talking to several used parts locations, and still waiting for RePsycle to email me back (over two weeks) I got a call from someone who remembered one that had been sitting around.

Thanks to all of you for your help, and to the Mods for allowing this thread to stay up. If it hadn't been for this, I would still be looking, as anyone who wanted to sell one one these probably wouldn't think to look at the Flea Market with this in mind!

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    I am not trying to turn this into a Flea Market, because I have put an ad there to purchase one of these with no response.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find one of these parts. It is one of the "vents" that goes on the Rear Snowflake Drum-type wheel. On the left side, there are 5 vent holes covered by little snap-in plastic covers. Over the years the little tabs that are supposed to hold them in, have broken off. I need one of these vent covers but have been unable to find one. I have advertised here on The Flea Market, called several dealers, who show that these are NLA, on the microfisch, I can't even see them listed.

I've attached a pic. If any of you have any suggestions as to where I can purchase one I would appreciate it!

I've got a 3D printer. if someone can get me either an original, or a -really good- set of extremely detailed photographs, with a scale reference object in the shots ( a penny will do) I can try to make a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by ocoinji View Post
    I was looking on bob's bmw microfiche, R80RT, 1982-1984, wheels and tires and i noticed item number 5. Don't know if this will fit but it looks like what the OP is looking for.

05 36 32 1238303 INSTALLING SET GRID 1 E $4.75
    That is indeed what he's looking for, but it's no longer available from BMW. I checked BMW Classic in Germany and same story.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

There are businesses that "weld" plastic (much to my surprise). They could weld on new tabs that then could be trimmed to size. I once broke a plastic piece that was no longer available (not from a bike) and had it repaired via that means.

Just throwing it out there just in case.

Cheers
    1985 R80 Original owner