Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Bavarian Bagger

4 Bagger continued

I got called away, but I wanted to finish the story on the 4 Bagger. I got up the next day and met the two brothers from Missouri. I could now see the 4 Bagger in all it's glory. Gory would have been a better word. Nightmare on Elm St. was a fitten name. That poor bike was bent, broken, battered, rusted, every bad adjective you can name. I really ragged the poor guy about his dilapadated bike. I told him he was a danger on the hiway and and he was giving BMW a blackeye. He apologized profusely. I went back to my tent and just laughted. They left a few days latter and he left a note on my tent. Explaining he was going to fix the bike or get a better one and more thx for the help. That poor bike, so sad.

So I'm trying to understand the 4 bags. Did the guy have two saddlebags, a top box, and a bag over his head because he was the "unknown" biker?
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

P Monk

remember renegade?

P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Yep, sure do. My R90 kinda resembled that bike. That mght be a 1 bagger. On the Field of Dreams a 4 bagger is a Homerun. That's closer to what I'm aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post

I know this thread is about motorcycles but.....Dag,.. that trailer is 'bout brand new! You got lucky when you scored that one. What do they charge for one of those? If i ever need to move an M/C by trailer again I'll look into one.
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Here's the rear hub. Stripped it down and bead blasted it. Looked pretty good, then ran it thru a clean cycle in the dishwasher. Came out bead free, but a wrong shade of grey. It occured to me that this same thing happened a few years ago on another build. Oldtimers is starting to set in. Any way I got a buddy with a supersonic parts cleaner, thank goodness. Got a Akront rim source and on the way. hope to get the wheels done in a couple of weeks. Time to move onto the rollin chassis and start the strip down.

I forgot to mention those are SS spokes for the reassembly. Also in the pic is is the old and the new final drive ring. The old drive spline is at least 70% gone. Years ago I sent the final drive out to Hansen's in Medford, Oregon so that work has already been done. Good to have some stuff done and completed. The little package is the brads/rivets to fasten the drive to the hub. Onward and upward.

You go Barryg Bagger...
    T. Waits.."Got to get behind the mule.. in the mornin and plow"

R100T'79

Dual Plugged Heads

Back when I did my econo rebuild back in '90/'91, I slightly lowered the compression with thicker base baskets. Seems that that was the recommended procedure then, the changing of the gas to less octane may have been one of the resons that I did it. Any way, I couldn't feel any less performance in the bike. When I put the engine together this time I installed the original oem gasket to get back to the 9.0:1 compression ratio. I dual plugged the head to get a better burn in the cumbustion chamber. I've never had or rode a bike with this setup. But several of the guys whose heads I did where I added the 2nd plug said their bikes really ran good. I guess I'll find out for myself when the engine is installed and I ride the bike. I want a good running bike, but I also want a bike with the right look. I allways thought the dual plugged airheads had that cool look.

Timesert lower plug hole

I went with the small plug in doing the 2nd plug. Even so, there is still just a small amount of material in that area and there arn't alot of threads holding the plug in place. I installed a timesert to support the plug. I know at times I'm hamfisted and I didn't want to pull the plug out just tightening it up to much. This eliminates that problem. In the pic with no plug you see the dark round area around the threaded hole. That is the timesert.