Thread: Classic Bavarian Bagger

Hybrid View

Classic Bavarian Bagger

I've been aiming to spin this off the Ride, Eat, Meet Thread for some time. Finally learned how to post pics, kindasorta. I was thinking a bagger airhead might find some interest. Several standard and some cafe racer styles have been done here with good success. If you do a search on BMW cafe racers, quite a few show up. BMW scamblers and bobbers are getting pretty poplar. If you do a search on BMW baggers, usually the now defunct BMW Cruiser is the only bike that shows up. I have allways liked the look of the Moto Guzzi Eldorado. I used to see a fair amount of them at BMW rallies back in the mid 80's. They seemed to get a good amount of attention from the Guzzi crowd as did the V7's also a MG model from the same era . I also never heard an Eldorado or California owner say they wished their bike was a V7 or Le Mans. I've heard a lot of /6 riders say they like their R90/6 but wished it was a R90S. Which leads to the bike of this thread, a '74 R90/6.

I bought my 1st motorcycle, a '71 R50/5 back in '85 or '86; loved it. By '88 I thought I was ready for a bigger bike. Pursued the idea of buying a Kawasaki Concours, a poor man's K100RT. I asked my buddy Leo what he thought about it. He kinda liked 'em, then he told me about a buddy of his with a '74 R90/6 for sale. Windjammer fairing, 30,000 miles, small rear rack and trunk, $1500. Scibbled it down on apiece of paper. Told me it was listed for sale in the Memphis Auto Exchange. Pickup the mag and saw it for sale in side with a pic. Called Jerry a couple of days, went by test rode it, I was interested and in a short dickering session it was mine for $1,250.

Riding became apassion. Commuting to work, local runs, riding to rallies. Got the bigger tank, added Krauser saddle bags. Rode it to the MOA National in York, Pa.. Work, ride and fix, rally, ride, work commute, fix, repair, replace, change, ride fix, rally etc. Became a charter member of the Naturally Beemers of Ar. Rode to Daytona Bike Week '90 on to Key West, Fla. Became the first member to complete the County Seat Tour of Ar. in 1990. More ride, fix, change, work, commute, rally, fix, repair, commute, repair, fix, repair, fix. Wait a minute, too much fixxen and repairin going on here. A bubby of mine had a big garage over in West Memphis, Ar. My plan was to mostly dissasemble the bike and do a economy resto and get back to ridin with a lot less fixin and repairin at home and on the road. He gave me a spot and a week later the bike was mostly in pieces. The Windjammer as ditched, and most everything was cleaned repaired, replaced in as much as my pocketbook could stand. A year later I was back on the road, to riden ,rallies, commutin, riden, rallies, riden. 30,000 miles of almost pure fun and no real problems. The bike got a fair amount of attention, it looked good. Then I moved on to a K100RT and an R1100RS. The bike got pushed to the back of the garage and was pretty much forgotten.

Classic Bavarian Bagger.

After a few years, I decided I wanted to do pretty much a ground up refurbish of the bike and get the look of the bike like I allways wanted it to have. I started parts searching. Scavenger hunting all rallies, looking for all the period pieces to get the look. New, used, common, unobtanium. In the mean time I had several starts on the bikes, but job changes, family illness, crazy events all seem to set the real start back numerous times. Kept parts hunting to keep my interest up. I found a neat Moto Guzzi site called Cycle Garden. I wanted my R90 to minic the Eldo's they were building. One thing the Guzzi had was a cool name, Eldorado. Somehow /6 didn't seem all that cool. I was going to build a bagger, the '6 have been fitted into the Classic BMW nomenclature. Bavaria has a exotic ring to it. Classic Bavarian Bagger. I finally had a name worthy of the bike.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...-they-thinking

Have fun with your project, but think long and hard before you rotate the engine 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Holy cow, start a thread and have your squabbles on it. Let Barry have his thread about what is obviously a labor of love to him without it turning into another bicker fest.

I'll delete this post in a day or so, hope you guys do likewise and if you wish to continue to "discuss" airheads-jealousy-new bikes, then do it on a thread started for that purpose.

Please.

I'm all in favor of the "labor of love" project. .. I was merely commenting on a reply .
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

I'm going with a Teutonic 1000 mile style solo springer seat. a lot of the old timers ran them back in the day and still do. I didn't like the hose clamp style mounting system, so a buddy of mine fabbed up a little better set up. The 2 seats I have are, I believe, Teutonic knockoffs. Anyway a lot of the oldtimers liked them.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    I'm going with a Teutonic 1000 mile style solo springer seat. a lot of the old timers ran them back in the day and still do. I didn't like the hose clamp style mounting system, so a buddy of mine fabbed up a little better set up. The 2 seats I have are, I believe, Teutonic knockoffs. Anyway a lot of the oldtimers liked them.

Looking forward to pics of the finished project !!

Rode a few HD solo & Servi-Cars with that kind of seat...when padding is new/good condition...they are comfortable..
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

2 Thumbs Up

Thx 71243, this bike has undergone a lot of changes over the years. I'ts had the small tank , now the large tank. It's had the Windjammer, No windshild, 3 or 4 aftermarket windshields all sizes, BMW windshield, no bags, several different sets of Krausers, soft luggage, no luggage, Wixoms, 3 or 4 different seats. Several different rear racks, several different tankbags. Several side stands. Several times it approached rat bike status, but I didn't like that and I really didn't see it that way. . It 's been a naked bike, bobber, dresser. Probably the only thing it hasn't been is a cafe racer. It's been to 5 or 6 MOA nationals, several RA nationals. Probably 7 or 8 times down to Daytona Bike week. Once down to Key West, Another trip to Flamingo Point down to the southern end of mainland Fl. 4 or 5 trips when rode to Daytona, Fl. where I rode it straight thru 800 miles stopping only to gas up. No telling how many local rallies, runs, rides, benefits I've rode this bike. Generally I've gotten more favorable comments from non BMW riders than BMW riders. It really didn't matter much either way, it was my bike. I've trail rode it where a lot of GS riders wouldn't even think of ridin ther bikes and I'm no off road rider. Any way it'll always get 2 thumbs up from me. It's all good.

Rebuild

I ride and hang out with a lot of motorcycle riders, who ride the complete gamut of bikes. To the off brand riders I try to explain that I just really like BMW's. BMW riders ask which bike is best and I usually answer all of them. I usually get a vacant look. Any given year, I generally think they are the best bike available. New models come out every year and their good bikes to. It doesn't diminish last years great model. I own and ride other brands of bikes, I pretty much like everything. German's build their bikes to have a long service life, but they also build them to be rebuilt. That's what's happening here.