Thread: Airhead muffler question (1979 R100S)

Airhead muffler question (1979 R100S)

Hello Airhead enthusiasts. I recently bought a 1979 R100S. It is a fun ride and makes me remember what attracted me to the marque in the first place. My first motorcycle was a 1973 1/2 R75/5 which I rode for many miles and many years before giving it to another enthusiast to be reborn as a vintage racer. But it has been a few years since I kept up on the current state of Airhead maintenance and improvements. Luckily this R100S has already had some of the improvements I recall being suggested such as the 1981 Brembo brake conversion, stainless steel brake lines, and Dyna III ignition.

Last weekend I noticed the right side muffler is deteriorating on the inside. So I will be replacing the mufflers in the coming months. I understand I can still get BMW mufflers. I also see Epco Stainless Steel mufflers advertised in my Owners News.

Anyone have suggestions on the strengths and considerations for which muffler option to go for?
    sgtbill
    Duty First!
    86 K100RS EML & 79 R100S
    2007 F800ST & 2014 F800GS & 2014 F700GS

P Monk

I am not recommending

I bought MAC Whispertone mufflers for my 90/6. They appear to be well made, but are a lot louder than stock. I didn't like them at first but after riding 335-336-337 in the Texas Hill country last week, they really do sound sweet when running 4500 rpms up, down and around the curves. The sound disappears when I get up above 60 mph or so. My riding partner says he really can't hear them when he follows me. It is tempting to blip the throttle, but that is probably just the old Harley Rider coming out in me.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

I have heard some bad stories about EPCO

I myself had a bad experience with Tom from EPCO about 20 years ago and never went back. There have been a number of threads here about poor and unreliable customer service within the last year or two and I have heard the worst from several BMW enthusiasts about their EPCO experience . Its a darn shame to because they have a good product and have at one time or another been easy and good to deal with but then something seems to go wrong and they piss off people.

I would check out E-Bay or even an Air Head BMW club publication to find a good source for /7 mufflers. I picked up a set of new R 90/6 reproduction mufflers from a guy in Tampa Florida for around $225 a set delivered just a couple years ago and they are still looking good. I think his business name is "Omars rear sets" or something like that. Google reproduction BMW mufflers and see what you get.

+1 for dpmonk. I've had MACs on three bikes now. They're a bit throatier than stock but I don't feel the sound is intrusive and the life expectancy seems good.

I also had a bad experience with EPCO years ago and I believe they are now made off shore. I bought a pair of Keihans and have been happy with them. They are built to the OEM specs except that they are stainless. It depends how much you want to spend. J C Whitney even sells mufflers.
    http://www.keihan.co.uk/default.htm

As a reference,

Hucky offers;
    40mm Sito (chrome) silencers for $465/pair.
    40mm Keihan (stainless), $645.00/pair.

MAXBMW;
    OEM 40mm chrome, $365 each.

Several sellers on eBay (caveat emptor rules apply)

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with either MAX or Hucky just using as a price ref.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

+++ on Sito (chrome) silencers

from Moto Bins
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Sito versus Keihan Stainless Steel

Darryl: How do you think the Sito silencers compare to the Keihan silencers for longevity, sound, and fit?
    sgtbill
    Duty First!
    86 K100RS EML & 79 R100S
    2007 F800ST & 2014 F800GS & 2014 F700GS

Motorcycleton
    I've had good experience with EPCO stainless mufflers, but I rode over to Tom's house in Germantown, OH to pick up the mufflers and headers. The stuff was made (as of a few years ago) in a barn behind his house. He had a significant fire a little while back. I don't know if Tom is still doing stainless steel exhaust components any longer (he is getting up in years) - I also have heard others say bad things about schedule, promises, and delivery. My personal experience has been good, but I am close enough to be able to make a house call and fetch the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbill View Post
    Darryl: How do you think the Sito silencers compare to the Keihan silencers for longevity, sound, and fit?
    as the English say it: "they sound a little bit more roarty" they fit well and seem as good as stock.

I have only used the Sito and the stock mufflers.

Had them for 10 years & over 200,000 miles.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

I've used the BMW stock (Zuena) mufflers, EMGO, and MAC. I prefer the EMGO & MAC for the sound (similar to each other) compared to the Zuenas, the stockers for the quality of the chrome (which is much better). FWIW, I much prefer the stock BMW head pipes to the MAC version (which are heavy and not the same shape as BMW stock head pipes).
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)