Thread: '09 RT Tire Pressure Monitoring problem

'09 RT Tire Pressure Monitoring problem

I follow the threads here most of the time and I don't recall seeing an issue with the Tire Pressure monitors.

Mine seems to be dying and I'm wondering how many have had issues. Currently the rear wheel rarely has a pressure and occasionally they both go out and the flat tire warning light comes on. The first time this happened I was very concerned of course, but now....

So, anyone else had a problem with this component? I know nothing lasts forever, and yes I know how to check pressure manually.

Hi Nancy - it happens. I'm guessing the sensors are the original ones - so the battery has 5 years of use on it, not too unreasonable to have it give up the ghost. What is unreasonable is the amount BMW wants for new ones - and that it has to be sync'd to your bike (or rather the bike to the new sensors) to work.

I know some people have cut the old ones open and replaced the battery - perhaps someone can point us to a thread on doing that (I think it was on ADV Rider..) Dunno how successful that is, but it would avoid having to go to the dealer to get the bike sync'd to the new ones.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Thanks Don,

If I have to replace the unit then it might pay to try to change the battery on it. Can't really harm it if it's gonna get tossed anyway. Hopefully someone will be able to find that thread. I guess if it runs off a battery then it's just a time issue.

actually there's a Youtube showing the process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpjz0cDjnK4