Thread: Metzler LaserTech or Avon M26 for '83 R65?

Metzler LaserTech or Avon M26 for '83 R65?

I'm going to be rebuilding the forks and replacing wheel bearings on my 1983 R65. While the wheels are off, I intend to replace the tires. The 3.25 and 4.00 x 18s are hard to find, but I have found 100/90-18 and 110/90-18 Metzler Lasertech and Avon M26 on line. Any and all recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

- Larry

P Monk

i vote for the avon's

I ran LaserTech's but didn't get very good mileage out of them. I get better mileage out of the M26 tires and they just feel good from the start, of course all new tires feel good. Another option in the correct size is Conti Go tires. I may try them just for grins, but have been pretty happy with the M26.
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Regardless of what brand you go with, I would suggest that you go with factory recommended sizes rather than the newer measuring system.

Keeps geometry correct, and it does affect the "feel" of the handling and other things as the parking - whether on sidestand or on centerstand.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

jimmy armour

new classic tyres

Hi, check out kenda retroactive new classic tires for classic bikes,I have tried kenda front tires in the past ,cheap but seemed to respond well in wet and dry the last type I used "the cruiser" front seems to follow lines in the road, so would not recomend them to someone who rides the twisties very quickly,I will need a new set of tires this year so will try the retroactive,anyone else tried them ?,hope this assists Jimmy
    Last edited by jimwjarmour; 02-18-2014 at 09:47 PM.

FWIW... I had Lazertecs on my /7 for years (ME 33/77 prior to that), but always thought the handling was heavy, and the rear tires wore down quickly. I've got Avons on the /7 now. I like the Avons quite a bit. Nice handling and good mileage. I have a mix'n'match on the RS. ContiGo on the rear and a Lazertec on the front. Hard to tell as I don't have too many miles on the bike, but I still think I'm partial to the Avon's handling characteristics.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers)
    '90 and '93 Red Mazda Miatas ("Jelly Bean" and "Red Hot")
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

My R65 was horrid on rain grooves with the Metzelers. I switched to Avons, and they worked much better.

P Monk

Metzlers on draw bridge grating

Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    My R65 was horrid on rain grooves with the Metzelers. I switched to Avons, and they worked much better.
    Talk about pucker power. First time I crossed the drawbridge over the intra-coastal waterway in west Louisiana on Lazertech's I almost had a heart attack. I even thought about laying it down!

Seriously the Avon's handle the several hundred feet of grating much better.
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Nether

Used Laser techs, on the front and 880 Metz on the rear for a lot of years.

Put Bridgestone S-11 's on the R100rt front and rear, and I'm not going back. Great mileage, plenty of control. Put the latest set on the year before, ran from Fairbanks, Sedalia, Key West, and Back to Helena before changing the rear tire. It would have made it home, but why push it. Lots of Rain coming out of Savana GA No Problems. Steel grate on the YK and BC bridges, no problem. If you can't tell, I really like them, and so do a lot of other Airheads.
    Bob Coleman
    AKAM
    Fukengruver add umlaut
    '84 R100rt, '88 R100gs

+ 1 on the Spitfire S11's. On my second set with my K, great bang for the buck, good all around tires. http://www.bikebandit.com/bridgeston...otorcycle-tire
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up