Thread: ABS Blues '08 R1200RT

ABS Blues '08 R1200RT

Add me to the number of unlucky souls who have had their ABS module bite the dust. I'm attempting to remove the offending unit from my bike, 2008 R1200RT, and send it off for
    repair. My question is this, have any of you removed the ABS unit from your bikes? If so, can you give me any pointers on extraction? I've removed the plastic, and gas tank
    but am still puzzled as to the removal of this thing. I'm trying not to remove any more parts than necessary, but i'm starting to think that the ABS module holds the entire machine together.
    Thanks for any input, Al

What bike? What year?

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelstick View Post
    I'm attempting to remove the offending unit from my bike, 2008 R1200RT,
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    What bike? What year?

'tis a mystery, indeed.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

A couple of sharp hammer blows to rear of the ABS motor will re-seat the motor brushes. I did that 4000 miles ago... still working.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

The OP must have edited that later ... after all I couldn't be that blind.

Remove the tank. Drain front and rear brakes. Remove air snorkel if you didn't, already. Disconnect the brake lines from the pressure modulator. Disconnect the electrical connection. Remove the screws that holds the bracket to the bike. The modulator comes out attached to its bracket, then you remove the bracket.

I helped someone do that much. The job wasn't hard. Some cable ties had to be clipped that attached cables to the bracket before the bracket/modulator could be removed.. I wasn't around when he put the unit back and can't comment on that.

Still Blue

Thanks Marchyman for the response, I'll psyche myself up for another go at her tonight! Azgman, I liked the simplicity of the hammer approach, I'll use it if I can't get this thing out.
    It doesn't lift my spirits to see consumer reports just proclaimed BMW the most unreliable bike on the road.
    Al Scortino, Sebastian, Fl
    Current Ride 08 R1200RT

Thanks again for the help! ABS module has successfully been removed and is going out today for repair.
    This forum is a great resource!
    Al Scortino, Sebastian, Fl
    Current Ride 08 R1200RT