Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HELP!! ABS module has blown!

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GKman View Post
    And if you ever pulled the wings off flies when you were a kid.
    That's pretty funny but Kent makes a good point. The thing is if you don't tell them your ABS equipped model no longer has the ABS installed it is highly likely that in the event of an accident they would use this fact to deny any claims due to incorrect information at the time the policy was issued.
    Last edited by happy wanderer; 02-26-2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: 2002 has integral "whizzy" brake system
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

04 Rockster with removed ABS unit. It was fully functional at the time but slow speed breaking was very touchy and rolling the bike around the garage was scary. NO negative effects, it has been well documented. Just pretend is the 80's and the ABS wasn't invented yet, and buy yourself something nice for the saved money. Total cost $0.

Quote Originally Posted by cele0001 View Post
    Total cost $0.
    Until you have the collision that ABS would have prevented.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Until you have the collision that ABS would have prevented.
    Gotta live a little. If you are not afraid you are not alive.

Gotta live a little. If you are not afraid you are not alive.
    True. Each of us has different tolerances. YMMV!
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Thank you and I do get your point also.

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    That's pretty funny but Kent makes a good point. The thing is if you don't tell them your ABS equipped model no longer has the ABS installed it is highly likely that in the event of an accident they would use this fact to deny any claims due to incorrect information at the time the policy was issued.
    An FAA crash inspector would notice it since the government figures that light plane passengers lives are worth about 1,000 times as much as car or m/c victims. At least that appears to be how they allocate their resources. An insurance company estimator?
    headlight (X)
    right body panel (X)
    right pannier (X)
    right turn signal (X)
    muffler (X)

TOTAL LOSS, NEXT.

If you really stop in the shortest distance you'll threshold brake and not allow the ABS to activate.
    Takes some practice but is very effective.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    If you really stop in the shortest distance you'll threshold brake and not allow the ABS to activate.
    Takes some practice but is very effective.
    Now you will bring the wrath of tehnofiles on you. How dare you control your machine you puny human, computers are much better at it.
    I want to be unique, just like everybody else.

Now you will bring the wrath of tehnofiles on you. How dare you control your machine you puny human, computers are much better at it.
    Forgive me massa!
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Rev. Jerry

04 ABS failure

My ABS failed on my 04 R1150RT, TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE, and the light came on. Fortunately for me, I had just taken off and was in first gear under 20mph when a van pulled out in front of me without looking. I nailed the brakes and there weren't any. Nearly hit the van in the driver door, and he never even looked or stopped. No time to honk. I swerved hard and just missed him by an inch or so. Very unnerving experience, and I've ridden 50 years. I checked fuses, etc and then took the bike to St Louis and they said the ABS computer failed. It took the better part of an afternoon, but I figured it out and removed the ABS system and even if BMW gave me a brand new unit for free, I'd never put it back on, even though I liked it very well when it worked. But now? I have separate F/R brakes that I won't have to wonder the next time I need to stop if they will fail. When it would fail next would forever would be on my mind if I replaced the ABS. If I'd been going even one or two mph faster, I would have wrecked. The NHTSA needs to address this issue, it is a known BMW defect.

Quote Originally Posted by RevJerry View Post
    My ABS failed on my 04 R1150RT, TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE, and the light came on. Fortunately for me, I had just taken off and was in first gear under 20mph when a van pulled out in front of me without looking. I nailed the brakes and there weren't any. Nearly hit the van in the driver door, and he never even looked or stopped. No time to honk. I swerved hard and just missed him by an inch or so. Very unnerving experience, and I've ridden 50 years. I checked fuses, etc and then took the bike to St Louis and they said the ABS computer failed. It took the better part of an afternoon, but I figured it out and removed the ABS system and even if BMW gave me a brand new unit for free, I'd never put it back on, even though I liked it very well when it worked. But now? I have separate F/R brakes that I won't have to wonder the next time I need to stop if they will fail. When it would fail next would forever would be on my mind if I replaced the ABS. If I'd been going even one or two mph faster, I would have wrecked. The NHTSA needs to address this issue, it is a known BMW defect.
    The brake is still there but the effort needed is much greater. It is a very bad scenario when you have brake system that is trained to be engaged with little to no force fail and then needs huge amount of force to work in a "failsafe" mode.

Look up Mercedes SBC brake system. Similar issues.
    Bottom line is that brake system should not have "failsafe" mode where the effort needed to operate the brakes is 10 times greater then "normal". This was an episode in German brake design that they couldn't sweep under the rug fast enough.

The fact that this is your only post ever (looks like) says a lot about your feelings on the subject.
    I want to be unique, just like everybody else.