Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Belstaff Textile MC wear?

Belstaff Textile MC wear?

I see Belstaff brand textile jackets in flea markets on various motorcycle forums, but for the life of me, cannot locate a U.S. source.
    Anyone know of a retailer stateside? The textile jackets I've seen online look like quality gear. Anyone have any personal experience with these?

Thanks!
    Oh, and happy New year to all.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Belstaff has always been a premium brand. I used to run the waxed cotton jacket and pants back in my days of running enduros. I'm not in a spot where I can do an effective search but from memory the US place was British Clothing or something like that. It has become less available in the US for some reason. I have a pretty fair assortment of Barbour clothing which is also waxed cotton and is well serviced at their New Hampshire facility.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I have a Belstaff Discovery jacket that I bought from British Motorcycle Gear in 2003,it still keeps me warm and dry. thier web site is; britishmotorcyclegear.com I've also got three other jackets,and two trousers. Georgia has four distinct seasons,so I use them all.

Quote Originally Posted by RDUBARTON View Post
    Georgia has four distinct seasons,so I use them all.
    To paraphrase how people described the seasons in Fairbanks: Georgia seasons a are: Early summer, Summer, Late summer, Getting ready for summer.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Aerostitch has a really nice range that are similar to the Bestaff waxed cottons. They are called Falstaff if I recall. The other nice feature with the Aerostitch version is that there is a capacity to add armor for greater protection than waxed cotton offers alone. I used to have a belstaff waxed cotton when growing up and the two things I remember was that it was incredibly waterproof when maintained (more than a little useful in the UK) and that it had a funky smell from the wax when it was warm. It was a. Super comfy jacket though and definitely a go to piece of clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    I see Belstaff brand textile jackets in flea markets on various motorcycle forums, but for the life of me, cannot locate a U.S. source.
    Anyone know of a retailer stateside? The textile jackets I've seen online look like quality gear. Anyone have any personal experience with these?

Thanks!
    Oh, and happy New year to all.

Some local dealers carry their line. I bought the long coat back in the 90's Left on a trip..it leaked.

The water stain line was obvious, and I kept the tee shirt I had on as well. Showed both of course to the dealer. He refunded me on the spot...no arguing. He wrote a brief note to Belstaff, and ask if i would sign it for his benefit ? I did.

So...while I have no real complaints to linger...it soured me on the brand.

And I thought Alaska had only two seasons, winter and mosquitoes.

Quote Originally Posted by RDUBARTON View Post
    I have a Belstaff Discovery jacket that I bought from British Motorcycle Gear in 2003,it still keeps me warm and dry. thier web site is; britishmotorcyclegear.com I've also got three other jackets,and two trousers. Georgia has four distinct seasons,so I use them all.

I have never used the waxed cotton jackets. I believe I read somewhere that it is very breathable, which would be a real plus in the oppressive humidity we get in the summer in GA. Have you found that to be true in you experience?

I remember trying some on at a booth at the Progressive Motorcycle Show when it came to town. Otherwise I think the Aerostich wax cotton is a good alternative.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast"
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - Retired and sold

11. 01-01-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    But Belstaff has the Long Way Down jacket.
    Yeah, I forgot about that It looks like the relatively common jacket that was available back in the day
    The flannel lining used to pick up a rather "homey" aroma from the peaty soil.....mixed with the smell of Golden Spectro and ethanol free gas....like a trip back in time.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about that It looks like the relatively common jacket that was available back in the day
    The flannel lining used to pick up a rather "homey" aroma from the peaty soil.....mixed with the smell of Golden Spectro and ethanol free gas....like a trip back in time.

Of course the solution was easier back then too...add a generous tablespoon of Castrol R to your gas tank (even four stroke) and ride around for a while to add a more tolerable aroma to the clothing. It did nothing to the engine except perhaps foul the plug in the four stroke but the aroma was simply to die for (or die from?) but the two smoke aroma was able to overwhelm the waxed cotton smell...at least for a while lol

Quote Originally Posted by ducster View Post
    I have never used the waxed cotton jackets. I believe I read somewhere that it is very breathable, which would be a real plus in the oppressive humidity we get in the summer in GA. Have you found that to be true in you experience?
    I could not imagine wearing that in a GA or FL heat and humidity. Even in the English summer it was too warm and that was definitely not close to that of GA

Cal
    I have a Belstaff wax cotton and have used it in the supposedly oppressive summer heat in Florida and GA. No big deal, just wear a tshirt underneath and keep the jacket unzipped about two inches and go fast enough.

What I do not like is the WAX, your hands and nails are always dirty from wax residue.
    Cal Garcia
    Suches, GA

I have a Belstaff Mercury textile that I love. It's got 12 or 13 seasons on it right now. I bought it at the International Motorcycle Show back in 2000 or 2001, can't remember which. I believe British Motorcycle Gear was the vendor. I didn't think it was all that spendy, and it certainly has been a good jacket.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

17. 01-01-2014, 06:25 PM